Thinking about selling my R8 & getting into a Ferrari! | FerrariChat

Thinking about selling my R8 & getting into a Ferrari!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CarThoughts, Sep 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    Hey guys! New to the forum.

I've owned quite a few cars, and am potentially looking to get into a Ferrari. Currently, I have a manual Audi R8. I love driving a manual, and wouldn't mind picking up a manual Ferrari, but I don't know if that will be in my price range. I love the looks of the F430, but the pricing on any manual may be a bit much. I'm not as big of a 360 fan, although it would fit solidly in the budget.

With that said, I have been looking at some different 458s. I would love to get some thoughts on value here. Will these see much more depreciation? I know there are certainly more of these out there in relation to past models. I would ideally like to keep my next "weekend car" for an indefinite period of time. Any past experiences would be helpful. What should I be looking for?

Alternatively, I have been looking at some pre-LP Murcielagos with a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance!

2. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    458 game over

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If value retention is important, a manual Murcielago or 430 should win....but a Diablo is a much better choice, as it has true collector status at this point.

If your goal is fast with modern electronics, the 458 is the winner.

CarThoughts and Boomhauer like this.
  4. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    The correct answer is what you value in a Ferrari.

Generally speaking, once a Ferrari reaches 15 years old, future depreciation is negligible. If bought correctly, you can drive a 360 or 430 and later resell it for what you paid for it or more. I don't think you can pull that off with any 458 just yet. In terms of real performance, you are going to have to get a very late model Ferrari to keep pace with the C8, etc.

The 430 isn't much of a departure from the 360 in terms of styling. Pretty much 10 out of 10 random people couldn't tell you which was the newer model from 6 feet away.

If 0-60 in 4.2 instead of 2.8 doesn't bother you, a 360 all day long is the safe bet.

CarThoughts and EastMemphis like this.
  5. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    I definitely am looking for something to hold onto long-term. All three of those with the manual transmission are commanding stronger and stronger prices these days. I guess I will just have to make up my mind! Thanks for the input.

6. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    I'm not one to always want the fastest thing on the market (although I do like going fast)! I'm more interested in the driving experience and driving something unique. I may have to take a closer look at some manual 360s. They definitely seem to be the bargain compared to the rest I've placed in the lineup. Thanks for the input!

unreelviper likes this.
  7. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    What year is your R8? you may find the 360 feels old and slow in comparison. I had a 2000 360, and based off my seat time in a 2010 R8, the R8 felt quicker and more refined, and with a proper exhaust sounded really good too. Not Ferrari V8 good, but damn good.

458 might be more up your alley. 360 also isn't happy in traffic, it loves long drives along winding roads.

CarThoughts likes this.
  8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    No problem, just earlier this year I had the same decision, hate depreciation with the fire of a thousand suns, and ended up with what a lot of us see as the last epic all manual transmission car.....Ford GT.

lewishou, CarThoughts and Wikdstrate like this.
  9. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Don't forget the viper, manual only there

NMNMNMN and CarThoughts like this.
  10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    #10 Shark01, Sep 11, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    I didn't forget.....the FGT is a legend

lewishou likes this.
  11. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    Mine's a 2010. I do love the sound of a Ferrari v8 though. I wouldn't mind additional power, but I love rowing my own gears. I probably just need to make the trip somewhere to test drive one and find out for myself.

12. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    Love the Ford GT! Unfortunately, they're just a little out of my current price range.

13. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    Update here: I have my R8 sold and am getting ready to make the move into something else. I want to add the FF into the equation. Am I crazy? I enjoy the uniqueness even though I wouldn't be driving a manual...

14. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    #14 RonH, Nov 7, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    If you are thinking about an FF, it is a great car and can be had at very cheap prices. Many don't like the body style (me included) but that is a personal decision. If you are thinking of a V12 you might consider a 599 unless you need the extra seats and 4 wheel drive. Awesome car and can be had for a similar price to the FF. The 599 would be a big step up from the R8.

CarThoughts and LVP488 like this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes

AtomicPunk88 and CarThoughts like this.
  16. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    Thanks for the input! I hadn't really had my eye on a 599, but I'll have to do a bit more research! Do you have any first-hand experience with the 599?

17. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    The best Ferrari value on the market today is a 612.
    One with HGTC or an OTO with HGT2 will make you smile big time.

RonH likes this.
  18. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I have a 612 and I was deciding between a 612 and 599 when I decided to go with my 612. But I really, really like the 599 and have driven it and it is better than the 612 overall and is an awesome car (it doesn't have the back seat which is why i decided for the 612).

But you have to understand in considering all of these cars, you have to make a basic choice between a mid engine and a front engine. Personally I dont like any of the mid engine Ferraris, they feel like go karts to me. I am a big front engine coupe guy and I love my V12. Since you came from an R8 you may go the other way. You certainly need to drive them to make that basic choice.

If you are going to go with a front engine V12 then either the FF or the 599 are probably the best value “newer” cars out there. They are probably close to being fully depreciated, though both do have some ways to go. The older 575 and 550 are also possible and the 550 comes with a manual (if that is what you want) and they are now fully depreciated and are actually appreciating. But they are also somewhat older technology. The 599 has better newer technology. The FF is also great with great technology and the only drawback is the styling (which as I mentioned is personal taste).

CarThoughts likes this.
  19. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    So, something that would concern me about picking up a 599 or potentially even auto f430 is the F1 transmission. I've heard that it feels pretty sluggish and can be a chore to drive around town? How would you guys weigh that in when considering the FF with the dual clutch? I would love to have access to drive all of these and decide for myself, but I'm in a fairly remote location when it comes to supercars haha. All of this input is greatly appreciated!

20. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Howdy!
    I recently bought a F430 Spider with an F1 transmission. Like most here I have had many special interest cars. I have driven a few Ferraris in the past that friends let me drive. The most memorable being a 250GTE and have been around them for about 20 years as one of my best friends is a tech. He actually was the main assembler of a Ferrari that won an award at Pebble Beach recently. (“The Golden Car”)

I currently have a 911S PDK that I have tracked a few times and I have also tracked extensively a 07 Shelby GT/SC that was prepped by my aforementioned friend and I for road course work (dynoed at 583hp) That car was a manual. I still have a GT500KR Stick and a M491 911 stick. And a street Rod that also is a lever car.

I will not buy another modern car with a stick.

At first driving the F1 seemed jerky. After 50-100 miles I had it down. I seriously love it. After a lot of online reading here, Aldous Voice’s pages and the Normal Guy Supercar site I am not so worried about the longevity of the transmission. The clutch is what it is honestly. They are consumables in most cars. Be nice if they lasted 40k miles but seems like they do not. Mine works fine at 19k miles.

I love my PDK but seriously when you rack up the rpms and pull the paddle I have never thought twice about F1 performance. It is stellar. And honestly having and still owning a few high HP cars (including a C7 Zo6). And after having Driven a late model stock car and a BB dragster, I can tell you the F430 is fast and the sensation is amazing as it is like what was posted a 500hp “go cart”!

I was actually totally surprised with how much it gets with the program. My wife said well duh it’s a Ferrari. She is right, I would add you can’t go wrong. I will say it does not feel like a 2007 model year car when you are driving it hard.

Also, I have had no issues in city traffic, except one time first day I owned it I did not give enough throttle on a hill leaving a light and I smelled clutch. That has not happened again and I believe it to be a driver error.

My two cents is don’t let an F1 scare you. It is a blast!!

Buy the car that you love and never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

CarThoughts likes this.
  21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    then don't worry about depreciation of 458 is you are going to hold it long term. plus if you don't sell, why cares about the depreciation?

CarThoughts likes this.
  22. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    Awesome to hear! I have always loved driving a manual just because it feels so much more engaging. It sounds like you get a little bit of that with the F1.

I do love the look of the F430! In my opinion, it's one of the best looking modern-day Ferraris. And if the F1 transmission isn't an issue, I feel like it may be on the top of my list.

I would love to be able to actually drive some of these to make a more informed decision. As I mentioned, there isn't much for exotic cars where I live. I've owned a couple Aston Martin Vantages, a Maserati GT MC, and most recently an Audi R8, but those are kind of the extent of my driving experiences when it comes to more "exotic" cars. I don't know that any of those really compare with a Ferrari, so I'm excited to make the jump!

23. CarThoughts

CarThoughts Rookie

Sep 7, 2020
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Micah Trampe
    Very true! I do cycle cars fairly frequently though (like many people here I assume haha), and have been working my way up for a while. I've owned roughly 50 different vehicles at this point (I'm 28) and have just gotten into exotic cars over the last couple years or so. I kind of want to find something that I can hang on to for a while and just really make my own. If it's not the right fit in a couple years though, I don't want the value to have tanked.

24. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    don't worry. 458 is fine. we have people keep selling the 458 and then keep buying it back, even after owning newer Ferrari model.

25. NMNMNMN

NMNMNMN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Call Mike at Yellow Circle. He will help you sort out a model. He is in the classifieds.

You may also wish to line up some test drives.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

CarThoughts likes this.