348 speedometer problem | FerrariChat

348 speedometer problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by IanMac, Oct 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I have a problem with my 348’s speedometer. I’ve searched previous posts here but can’t find any that address my specific problem, so I’m hoping that someone can advise me.

My speedometer works intermittently. It never works at start up, but after two or three miles it comes to life, although it will occasionally drop out briefly after that. Following advice in previous posts I changed the sensor in the gearbox, but that had no effect.

I have suspicions about the multi connector in the engine compartment and have cleaned that, but again with no success.

Can anyone tell me which of the terminals in that connector are related to the speedometer, and what voltages should be present?

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Did you check the connector on the back of the speedometer? Remove the instrument housing/pod and check the condition of the connector. Make sure it's clean and connected properly.

3. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Thanks Ernie, I did do that but will have another look at it.

The fact the speedometer doesn't work for the first few miles and then kicks in suggested to me that the problem might be temperature related, but I'm at a loss to think of what might be affected by temperature other than the sensor in the gearbox.

4. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    If all else fails, I seem to remember the signals travel into the speedo on a plastic sheet with copper stripes. It might be worth opening up the speedo and check the condition of those "wires" inside. To open it up is easy. The knob on the front just pulls straight off.

5. SHEMM

SHEMM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    ILIO
    Wow - that happened to my speedo this year too and I never got around to investigating. Same deal, when it's cold nothing, then after about 10-15 mins of driving it pops back up.

Thanks - will have to try those items in the spring.

6. JasonS

JasonS Karting

Sep 5, 2019
    Green, OH
    Full Name:
    Jason Stropki
    Either of you ever resolve the intermittent speedo issue? Curious what you found.

7. marc556

marc556 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 15, 2007
    Wiltz (Lux)
    Full Name:
    Marc Foyen
    I had the same problem on mine.
    The sensor on the gearbox was deffect.

JasonS and Qavion like this.