Seat belt plastic cap | FerrariChat

Seat belt plastic cap

Discussion in '206/246' started by Sal Manzur, Apr 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sal Manzur

Sal Manzur Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    Well, the passenger seat belt retaining
    Plastic cap on my 246 Gts broke. Luckily
    All the pieces are still together. Is someone
    Out there reproducing these?
    Will try to post photo Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Look for a similar thread in the 308 forum. I believe Verell is refining his design and tooling to create a match that is stronger than the original.

Sal Manzur likes this.
  3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
    synchro likes this.
  5. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    synchro likes this.
  6. Sal Manzur

Sep 12, 2004
    Upland Ca
    Full Name:
    Salvador Manzur
  7. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Fitment guides rarely list Ferraris... :)

You need to open yours up and compare the inside of the metal housing to some of the various on-line pictures for "exploding GM buckle". From there, you just have to buy the repair kit that has the right kind of plastic cover.

That buckle is just a generic Robbins part, and it happened to also be used in some american cars...

8. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    BTW: If you want to know why they are called "exploding", you can look at yours, as an example... :)

synchro and Sal Manzur like this.
  9. melpacino

melpacino Karting

Nov 16, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mel Bahri
    Hello . GM made the same seatbelts in the 70s. I’ve purchased them from eBay before. Search for “exploding seatbelt buckle”
    good luck

10. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Another source worth investigating is the Delorean company in Houston, Texas. They have complete OEM seat belt sets, and are supposed to be a match for the 308 GT4 Dinos... visually the same as your photo above.

Sal Manzur likes this.
  11. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

View attachment 2929894

This photo is of a late Euro 246GT Dino with the Klippan seatbelt assembly. This is similar to the Delorean Klippan belts. I know because early on, I ordered some. I still have them. They may have also been used on the Euro 308GT4’s. The US belts are completely different. The first photo is of a Robbins buckle made in the US. I have seen the Robbins belt as a lap belt in the rear seat of 70’s Mercedes. “If” you oder the Klippan belts from Delorean, buy two passenger sides. The passenger sides don’t have the extra wiring for interlock etc.

NoGoSlow and Sal Manzur like this.
  12. stuartlarman

stuartlarman Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2009
    Tucson az
    Full Name:
    stuart larman
    The drivers side seat belt on my 72 dino gts exploded about a week ago and I replaced it with one from a 70's 450SL; looks almost the same; I didn't have the guts to try and remove the plastic bezel (cap) from the 450 SL's and put it on my dino seat belt due to its age; I was afraid I'd break it so just put the entire 450 belt in my dino; it's about one inch longer and the male portion of the other end lap belt DOES fit in correctly; many posts of non-fitting attachments.
    DOES ANYONE HAVE OR HAVE A SOURCE FOR THE STARBURST DECAL ON THE BUTTON?
    stuart

13. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Good call to not try to remove the cap. It is not meant to be removable, so chances of breakage are exceedingly high...

I looked for a long time, and never found a source for new starbursts.

The good news is that the starburst appears to be a *generic* sticker that Robbins fitted when a manufacturer did not specify a bespoke logo. As a consequence, a lot of low-ish production cars that used these same buckles have buttons with the starburst.

If you search on eBay for a Robbins seatbelt, you are likely to eventually find one. Here is an example:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBBINS-JR-6704-Lap-Seat-Belt-Latch-Buckle-Vintage-OEM-free-sh/254600008535?hash=item3b4757d357:g:FE0AAOSwvKBewcpM

If you buy a repair kit like the one I mentioned earlier in the thread, and break-apart a generic buckle to get the button (with the starburst already on it), you would be set.

Of course, if your old button is still good, just buy the repair kit, and you can reuse your button...

14. DinoD67

DinoD67 Rookie

Jun 14, 2020
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Dephillips
    Well my driver latch exploded today, and the passenger is about to let go as well. Is it possible to unbolt their lower receiver and just replace them rather than try to find the plastic face plates that obviously are weak?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Ebay seller "thepartsplaceinc (232017)". An exact match of our buckle! Easy to install in minutes. $70 for the pair. I personally replaced mine.

DinoD67 likes this.
  16. DinoD67

DinoD67 Rookie

Jun 14, 2020
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Dephillips
    Perfect! You are a lifesaver!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app