Newbie question, Why a 360 over a F430 | FerrariChat

Newbie question, Why a 360 over a F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Johnnya, Sep 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnnya

Johnnya Rookie

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Johnny Amico
    I’m relatively new here and considering my first Ferrari. Excuse my ignorance of this question as it probably has been answered many times.

Besides price, why do some purchase a 360 over the f430? Is it primarily looks only?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    Looks, sound (360 has 5 valve heads), end of an era engine (last v8 with belts), also some ppl might care but the F430’s engine is a Maserati derivative

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Budget, and easier to get a MT.

FerRrari likes this.
  4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

the following is about 360 f1 vs 430 f1.
    the main difference is the shift speed. If you drive a late production f430 (late 2008 onwards), u'd feel the 360's gear shifting had a problem sometimes.

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I'm gonna say budget --mostly.
    I chose the 360 for the looks. Much more curvy and sensual. The 430 has a lot more angles-- the vents and such and the tail lights look stuck on and not integrated.
    But with that said the 430 has more HP, cam chains instead of timing belts as in the 360. But it was not enough to lure me away from the 360. For me the 430 was not much of an "upgrade" and seemed more of a visually warmed over 360 and IMO not for the better.

Both are great cars. And you cannot go wrong with either for the money.

6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    If you drive a late 360 with the latest TCU, I'd say that the shifts are right on the money.

Apollo 11 and Ron328 like this.
  7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

#7 24000rpm, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    I have a CS and a late production 430.

Compared to the 430, I've always had the illussion of the CS having a problem. That's at low speed rev, of course. At high rev and throttle down, the CS's shifting speed is OK and all good.

I hope so much that I could have a CS with a SF2 gearshifting.

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Let me summarize. Except for the looks (which is subjective), the 430 is the better car. (And I own a 360).

FerRrari, Inthehills and Johnnya like this.
  9. ONEOFEW

ONEOFEW Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2006
    LA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If you are shopping for a manual (3 pedal ) Ferrari, you would have more choices with a used 360 , so budget aside mechanically and performance 430 is the superior without a doubt.

FerRrari, Inthehills and Johnnya like this.
  10. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'd say price is probably the biggest reason but...newer is often better because less stuff has worn out, possibly less owners and potential for abuse, less rock chips, less interior wear, etc. But the 360 is the new design language for every mid engine since because it spent so much time in a wind tunnel during development. I think the 430 is more striking and less subtle than the 360 which doesn't necessarily mean better depending up on the owner. If a manual 360 is in your budget there are worse ways to connect to the historical significance and mystique of those who have gone before you and they are pretty simple to work on, if you have a good mechanical background.

For engine nostalgia the 360 motor is the furthest evolution of the engines before the complete redesign for the 430. I remember cross sopping 360,430 and GT2, GT3 and decided that I liked the 360 enough to keep the extra 20-30K in the bank for repairs and shop improvements. It was the right thing for me to do because I have enjoyed the ownership experience immensely. I've met some incredible people too all because of the car and the network. If you've never had an exotic car before it's a different world.

One other thing is that with the older car there is no need to try to be the fastest object on the road so for me it is was an invitation to just enjoy the thing for what it is and appreciate the very fine engineering and feedback of the car. This is a good thing! Especially in a three pedal because there is more to do in the cockpit!

11. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I think both are in the price range of, don’t buy it unless it’s exactly what you want. Wait if exactly what you want is out if the price range. If you want a “better car” buy a Prius.

Johnnya likes this.
  12. toussi1

toussi1 Karting

Jun 10, 2007
    USA
    360 will be slightly lighter
    360 will have less electronics to fail
    360 has a higher pitched tone which many prefer more than the F430
    360 may be slightly cheaper

Both great cars, heck I wouldn't mind having both

13. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well. I have both. Oddly a manual 430 and F1 360 Spider. Full disclosure I have also F12 and 488 spider with a F8 coming soon

The 430 is a newer car with more amenities and tech than the 360. It is faster, more spacious, closer to today’s cars. It is the bridge to digital in the 458. 360 is full analog. Both are fun to drive. But......

For a first Ferrari experience, the 360 cannot be criticized for anything. Anything. The sound, smell, seating position, smaller steering wheel, lower position, more go-kart like and the experience.....And I went backwards to buy the 360. At this point I like my 360 possibly the most for real world speed and shifting.

If this car will be your car forever, get the 430. If this car will be your first Ferrari of several or many....start with the 360. Get a manual and enjoy it. If your budget is for an F1, get it and learn to use it well. It’s engaging and fun and don’t let the naysayers say nay about the F1.

What I said about the 360 is technically incorrect. You can criticize the stereo.

Oh and the 360 is prettier. Really.

Back to the thread

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    "better car" how?

15. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #15 Ron328, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020

- more HP/torque. If you do track days, the extra 80 hp helps.
    - better shifting on F1
    - no need for belt change
    - better or more modern interior (although this is subjective)
    - 360 suspension carried over to the 430 but was improved
    - e-diff
    - I have heard (but not consistently) 430 has better brakes (for track)

16. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Looks for me. Mate that to a Gated shifter and it doesn't get much better. All subjective of course but for me 360 Gated all the way.

Mimmo Blue and ScottS like this.
  17. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    But you have a 488 Spider. ;)

18. 996cupracer

996cupracer Karting

Jan 12, 2006
    Westport, CT
    Initial cost is the only benefit. I have had a 360 and it was the only Ferrari that I wanted to sell soon after purchasing and did so. I have a Scud now and it is a whole world better. Had a 430 Berlinetta prior and it was quite an upgrade to the 360. The two 430's that I have had have been very reliable and enjoyable to own. Don't have any desire to change to a newer car.

19. Johnnya

Johnnya Rookie

Jul 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Johnny Amico
    Thanks Everyone for your help describing the differences. I have a track toy (2015 Camaro Z/28) so this will be primarily used as a evening /weekend street car. I did own a 2012 Boxster Spyder for a few years and I really liked the go-cart handling and connected feel to the road it gave. I also prefer a manual trans car and a spider too. Again, I appreciate all of the input. Johnny

ScottS likes this.
  20. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    The 360 is a clean original design; a blank sheet of paper so to speak. Before the 360, it was updated variants of the 308. The 430 is a variant of the 360. Personally I like original designs although the 328 was an improvement of the 308 due to the body colored bumpers over the black DOT influenced bumpers. The 430 is a "sequel" from a static design standpoint.

21. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    #21 550nitis, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    For me it was between a 430, 360, 550 and a GT3. Already have a 997 so that threw the GT3 out. Wanted the 430 mostly as it's really the better car but when I started looking it was in the $125 range, then went to 150 then 185 for a manual all in the period of a year. Also there were a few things that bugged me about the F439 like the front end and the touch button start. Then I looked at a 550 and really loved it again in the $125 range and pulled the trigger on that but the seller got cold feet.

As my window to buy was getting smaller I had a 360 from a good seller. It is hard to find a good Ferrari as I had looked and looked and was shocked with how many bad cars and bad people selling them. I flew to a place e to check a car out once and the seller wouldn't let me drive it unless I gave him a deposit, what ******.

So when I found a high mileage 360 was in the 80s range I took it so I took it and haven't looked back. Yes I over paid but I love This car and how analog it is, how raw it is and the pure driving experience it gives.

22. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    I have had both, went back to a 360

sound is better
    interior is more interesting with the all the metal trim
    and exterior looks are better

these are eye of the beholder opinions, both great cars, get the one you like.

23. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    When I grow up I want to be like you. Hold on, I'm already old. Dang!

Todd Laing likes this.
  24. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Drive both, spend some time with both options and decide what you like.

What moves you?
    What will have you looking back after you park?
    What will have you up at 5am on a cool Sunday AM for that extra early fall drive?
    no-one can truly answer that for you.........

=======
    while they share a similar platform... they are really quite different cars....

different engines (one f car, one maz variant)
    They make different noises from idle to full rev's

dramatically different exterior design..... one is classic Ferrari... the other is an early nod to modern angular design...

the interior digital tech..... while it is 'newer'.... 10-12 yr old digital tech ages poorly.... I prefer time-less analog and gated.

=======

I close with .... drive both....... spend time around both...... and decide what makes you happy.

Johnnya, brookliner7 and Todd Laing like this.
  25. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Dewinator, Caphill, KC360 FL and 3 others like this.