Deposit down, PPI next up | FerrariChat

Deposit down, PPI next up

Discussion in '308/328' started by dosedtoaster, Sep 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA

Attached Files:

JB833, Rosey, rocket50 and 3 others like this.
  2. Talon38

Talon38 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Mike Lambert
    You'll love it! Mike

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Nice

Very very nice

4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Sharp looking 328
    Good luck and if it passes, enjoy

5. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA
    Thank you! PPI will be done after Labor Day. Has anyone spotted the incorrect paintwork?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The skirt below the rear bumper should be black.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  7. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It should be red?

Jakuzzi and mike996 like this.
  8. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  9. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA
  10. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA
    Nailed.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Re the PPI...When I had one done pre-purchase on my 328 (in 2008), the most valuable part of the PPI was the mech physically pointing out Ferrari "things to be aware of' while he had the car up on the lift. Mostly it was about placement of components that make access somewhat "unusual" that I found most interesting plus the odds and ends about certain "strange" and unique items - the gear rod through the oil sump (WTF?:rolleyes:), etc.

12. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA
    Great tip, too bad it’s in another state for the PPI but I’ll take up your suggestion with a local expert (Hollywood, CA) if I end up buying.

13. GatedShiftFcar

Apr 16, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Daniel Gould
    Beautiful car! You’ll love it. Mine is also white!
    I think I remember this car was listed on Hemmings back when I was looking for mine. Tan interior? I remember the white lower rear body and as I recall it has a Euro rear exhaust grill? The white lower body I still wonder about. The grill not so much since USA rear grills are impossible to find!

14. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA
    Yes, Crema interior little lighter than tan. I think it’s been painted, as the seller pointed out a few panels, front and rear and quarter. PPI will explain more I hope. US grill is actually a nicer design, will be hunting for one if I get the car. Post some pics of yours! Been looking for a white one for so long, and finally moving ahead with this one albeit not an ideal car.

GatedShiftFcar likes this.
  15. GatedShiftFcar

Apr 16, 2019
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Daniel Gould
    Why not ideal? I seem to remember it being quite nice!

Mine is a 1988.5 and was special ordered in white on white. I’m the second owner... at some point my rear grill had a small bend on the lower left corner and was repaired. It looks pretty good but still bothers me. I have called on a lot of ads for a new grill and every time they have none. I think it is officially unobtainium.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Saabguy likes this.
  16. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Looks like it is in TX? Background of pics looks like a dealer/broker in Houston. Be careful. Looks like you are giving it proper due diligence.

17. A12pilot

A12pilot Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 11, 2018
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That’s great! They’re such fun cars to drive, and I wish I had driven mine more. Too expensive to be just eye candy. Bang those gears and enjoy it! Best of luck with the PPI.

cheers
    Dave

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    If Gary is still in charge, he is very trust worthy....but still need a good thorough PPI.

19. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA
    Unknown history and service history. Car fax shows just one original owner up until 2018, then a dealer then another dealer. Mark at Sphere Motorsports vouches for the dealer and is doing the PPI, fingers crossed! I found Mark from searching here, looks to be highly respected and extremely anal haha. I’ll update when results are in of course.

Gated, that white white is a beauty.

I plan on getting everything correct on the car and driving her on any Sunday!

20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have to admit I'm troubled with the comment, "Not an ideal car." Frankly, if it isn't, IMO you should keep looking. If you feel that way now, that feeling is only going to get worse after you own it...at least in my experience. ;)

rocket50 likes this.
  21. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    There are actually two different grills for "euro" cars, that is, if you do count Switzerland as "Euro"...
    The swiss market model 328s do have a catalytic converter (after mid-1987, they have the 046 engine), as do the US market model, so the grill is also pushed rearwards, as on US cars.
    All other "continental euro" 328 do not have a catalytic converter, so the grill is mounted one inch closer to the rear wheel axle (the non-catalytic exhaust takes less place), hence the exhaust tips which looks longer.
    Rgds

22. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA
    Fair point. We’ll see. Appreciate the well footed concern.

23. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    What makes it not ideal?

24. dosedtoaster

dosedtoaster Rookie

Feb 27, 2007
    Hollywood Hills CA
    Update: PPI was unexpectedly done today. Almost the entire car has been painted and it’s “pretty good”. There’s filler on the right rear panel. Also an exaggerated crack where the roof meets the quarter. The mid under tray is wrecked, like it drove over something pretty bad.

Almost all bushes are rotted. Some other more minor things such as wheels need refinishing, boots need replacing, etc, but to get the paint correct, in the experts words “would need to be taken down to bare metal”.

Runs and drives good, mechanically sound. Chassis good. Interior great.

So hmm. Guessing around 25K needs to be invested.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Who gives a **** unless you are shooting for some 100 point concours trailer queen (which, of course is fine if that is what you want)

Otherwise, if it passes a compression and leak down, use all these "problems" to negotiate a good deal and get the car.

Then drive it without worrying about a rock nicking it on the highway - because you will if you put 25K in new paint.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app[/QUOTE]

Patrick Dixon likes this.