How Often Should The Fan Kick In? | FerrariChat

How Often Should The Fan Kick In?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by oo7ml, Sep 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi,

I picked up my Testarossa 3 days ago and I’ve only 150km of driving left tomorrow to get it home :)

I’ll post several pics as soon as I give it a wash.

I have been making notes of lots of questions over the last few days, however I plan to read the full manual before posting them.

I have a few questions which probably won’t be covered in the manual, both related to heating / cooling of the car:

01 - How often or what is normal in terms of the fan kicking in? When the car is fully warmed up and the engine and oil are warm the fan kicks in if I spend more than 7-10 minutes in 1st gear in traffic... is 7-10 minutes in 1st gear normal? For example I could go for a long drive without putting any pressure on the car (i.e - not going over 3,000 RPM), but when I hit traffic and I have to go into 1st gear for 7-10 minutes, the fan kicks in.

02 - Is it ok to switch off the car when the fans are running after a drive, or should you wait for the fans to finish cooling the car, before shutting it down for the day?

Thanks in advance for your help

2. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Perfectly normal Mark. While the car is moving at speed, the wind flowing through the radiators provides sufficient cooling where the fans aren’t required to turn on. In traffic, you lose that air flow and cooling which is why the fans are kicking on. Once the car starts moving again the fans should shut back off. Second question, yes it’s okay to turn the car off even though the fans are running.

oo7ml and turbo-joe like this.
  3. Grease Donkey

Grease Donkey Karting

Jul 5, 2018
    Zurich, Switzerland
    With cold engine you can check the bleeding screws for corrosion and deposits. If they show, then you may think of performing a coolant water change. Adding some special detergent cleans the radiators from the inside and reduces the use of the fans.

4. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great, thanks for this.

I don’t know why, but I feel like I am damaging the car because the fans kick in, and dread when I get stuck in traffic.

Thank you for clarifying this.

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you get stuck in traffic the fans always get on because no wind during driving. so nothing to worry about

oo7ml likes this.
  6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Check your fuse box connectors. If the fans are on a lot, they may be overheating your connectors.

Always open the back hatch when you park to allow the heat to easily exit. Personally, I add a fan under the car and blow air towards the cam cover/ oil filter area. These work pretty well, but get one that can rotate the nozzle upward.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

oo7ml likes this.
  7. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

This is an interesting idea! I do open the clamshell and leave the Boxer outside to aid cool down after a drive. I have gone as far as taking a leaf blower and directing air through the air intake on either side of the car. But this would certainly be a better option.

8. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How soon does your fan kick in on a normal drive.

I’ve read through the manual and my fans are kicking in at the right temperature, but I’m trying to gauge if my temperature is heating to easily?

9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Relax!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

oo7ml likes this.
  10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Driving on open roads at 60deg f with normal speeds and the fans never come on.

City driving with traffic and 90 deg heat will kick on the fans within minutes.

Just pay attention to the temps.

Your system has two zones controlled via two thermostats. Get an inexpensive thermometer and check both sides of the two thermostats - aim the gun at the two pipes - left and right. If one is significantly different you may want to pull the thermostats and check when they open.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v12/testarossa-group/testarossa-1990/engine-cooling.html

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

turbo-joe and flash32 like this.
  11. oo7ml

oo7ml Karting

Dec 4, 2018
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Great, thanks... worry over :)