488 - Exhaust bypass | FerrariChat

488 Exhaust bypass

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by XselR8, Sep 4, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    Hello all, newb here. Just bought my first Ferrari a 488 spider. I know there is lots of debate around this topic of plugging the exhaust diverter. Im considering the cheaper bypass option or having the dealer install the switch to control on and off. The dealer said they have had people unhappy with always loud because it drones at freeway speeds. Any some options would be helpful. Thanks!

2. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Drive around at 75mph or faster with the car in race mode. That's exactly what it'll sound like all the time if you plug the lines (keeping the valves open). I personally like the switch because with the valves open you do lose low end torque in a car that already lacks low end torque. Sometimes I care more about the performance than the sound.

3. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    Thanks FFan5. Makes sense. Maybe I just read too much on here waiting for my car lol. Lots of people unhappy with the sound from what I read.

4. Ltfor3

Ltfor3 Karting

Oct 14, 2013
    FL
    Full Name:
    L.T.
    I use to install the switch, but in the last few have left them alone and been perfectly happy. I think all have sounded great and prefer them not always so loud except when they should be. You will definitely get a lot of opinions on here. Drive it around for a while and see what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Dennis Cosmann likes this.
  5. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    When I picked up car the sound of valves opening and closing drove me crazy so plugged the lines after a week of ownership. I did not go with controller since my experience in other cars is I never drove with valves closed . As for power goes felt zero difference and if you are not getting good torque power down low you're not driving the car right. Have put over 4k miles on car in the 6 months of owning with a lot of it being highway miles, keep car in lower gear and no droning. A nice benefit is I get good pops and crackles down low that I did not get with valves closed.

Dennis Cosmann and ShadowLAP like this.
  6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I had the dealer pin mine open two years ago and never looked back. I never find it too loud or any sort of drone. Best , Kirk.

ShadowLAP likes this.
  7. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Would of been better if you just asked in one of the existing threads, all that will happen here is same comments by same people who are for or against. Mod should probably just merge threads

8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    My 488 exhaust valves are unhooked (plugged)

1- The car DOES NOT drone at any speed
    2- The car is not overly loud at all. (my wife would tell me)
    3- The car does not lose power. When you get in the power band 3kRPM to red line the valves are open anyway. Under that putting around 2500rpm not difference

I personally would not waste money on a electronics valve controller. Any other exhaust change I would do such as cat back for a different sound.

ShadowLAP, MANDALAY and Cigarzman like this.
  9. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Exactly!

mdrums and Cigarzman like this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Gee the dealer asked me if I wanted the valves open :) Free

mdrums likes this.
  11. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    Thanks for all the comments. The thing that drives me cray cray is the constant opening and closing of the values in city driving. Either option of switch no switch gets it done. One is just more expensive :)

12. Kingoye

Kingoye Rookie

Aug 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jordan Oyediran
    I am in the same boat as you... was looking at the Capristo switch so I can manage the noise but I have driven my car in race mode at higher speeds and based on what I read it doesn't get louder than that... I am now leaning heavily on just getting the exhaust valves open.

13. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    kerr t in race mode abi e around 2900rpm valves open and that's as loud as it gets... pinned or with a remote control type exhaust like Capristo.

I just unhooked the vacuum lines plugged and zip tied them.

14. XselR8

XselR8 Rookie

Aug 16, 2020
    renton, wa
    Full Name:
    brian
    I went ahead and did the switch. The loud mode is so much more enjoyable than the factory set up. I noticed in town driving if Im on the phone in loud its really hard to hear. But if I switch to quiet it's a little easier. Seems like though on these cars you can't really crank up the volume on phone calls. Anyway thanks for all the comments. Really enjoying my car. Running out of weather in my neck of the woods. Hopefully I'll get a few more nice days before I put it away.