Mondial Do It yourself Thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Mondial Do It yourself Thread

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by dfranzen, Jul 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    350HPMondial, Nasa1990 and Allen S. like this.
  2. Norseman

Norseman Rookie

Nov 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ben B
  3. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    Nick's Forza Ferrari, 2439 Cedar Ct Custer WA 98240

Norseman likes this.
  4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Nobody's allowed to print the prancing horse emblem on repro parts, only Ferrari itself, but I wonder if the emblem was already present on the original floor mats.

5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Thats a Mustang horse....:D

JayG and uber2 like this.
  6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    No. It's the horse Ferrari stole from Porsche.

7. OpenAirFan

OpenAirFan Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Krefeld, Germany
    There were no original floor mats on top of the carpet. I‘m happy that these additional mats are the same material and color as the original carpets.

8. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
  9. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
  10. Cafe racer

Cafe racer Rookie

Mar 22, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Nigel Waterfall
    I’m currently in the middle of a overhaul of my Brake & Clutch system, clutch master cylinder was leaking, don’t know when the brake fluid was last changed, ABS loom was damaged (sensors not connected & wiring cut/broken)

I’ve got a “new” ABS loom, but it looks like i will have to remove the fuel tank to get the sensor connectors to the back of the car as it runs in the channel with the battery cable.

Got all the bits to do the Clutch master cylinder, the pedal box is currently getting cleaned before rebuilding it & replacing parts.

As for the brakes, is it worth upgrading to 4 pot callipers or are the single piston ones good enough (i have no plans to track the car - yet)

Any advice about things to change or jobs to do while I have the car in bits

11. Incaico

Incaico Karting

Jun 13, 2020
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    JR Sandoval
    Swap Driver/Passenger Seat - '89 Mondial t

When I read that the seats of the Mondial were interchangeable, I started looking around on how to do it. Didn't find any steps on how to do it so I decided to document the "swap"

Removing the seats is very straight forward. Each seat has 4 bolts (#6 allen). Once the seats a removed, the leather covered fiberglass covers need to come off (4 per seat). Then the hardware: both the seat levers, seat lever plate, seat return springs and plate. Both the hardware and the leather covers will be swapped to the other seat.

Take LOTS OF PICTURES so you can see what hardware goes where.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Seat Adjustment Levers

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Return Seat Spring

The trickiest part is when you have to remove spring and put it back on the other seat.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The spring "catch" (red arrow), needs to be "rewound" and placed where the blue arrow is pointing. I used a large Channel Lock. A couple of tries should do it. The seat adjustment lever is super simple.

Before I replaced the leather covers over the hardware, i cleaned and conditioned, something I'm sure all of us would do. I even removed the rear cover of the seats and painted the screws. Then I took my time to clean and condition the seats. Very happy with the results.

Side bolster on driver side was showing wear, now, it's the passengers side turn...

I also adjusted the seat straps, which I will post later as I am limited with the number of pics I can upload.

Reach out if you have any questions!

moysiuan and djs308 like this.
  12. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
  13. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch
    I have recently discovered that my clutch slave cylinder is leaking. I have flushed the entire brake system of old fluid, but now I’m wondering if anyone has ever rebuilt these with new seals? It’s a serviceable part so guys what’s the scoop. Thanks to all that respond.

14. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    What model mondial you have ? 3.2 or t...

15. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch

3.2 cabriolet

16. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Hi Carl,

I recently had this happen to my car. There's really only one place for the seals at the moment and that's through one of our wonderful forum members. However, I ended up going with a new slave cylinder from Superformance ($130ish US) due to needing it quickly and being able to use a credit card to order it. I'm still planning to order a set of seals from our forumite to rebuild my old slave cylinder.

One thing to note is that the slave cylinder from Superformance isn't an exact match. It's actually a slave cylinder from a Lancia Delta Integrale. It bolts up exactly the same as the Mondial slave, but you need to use your old push rod and rubber boot from the Mondial unit for it to work. The Lancia slave also doesn't have a c-clip/seeger ring that holds the assembly in the cylinder. I assume that it won't be an issue, but be aware of it.

If you do decide to go that route, Delta Works UK has the exact same part for 1/4th the price - https://deltaworks.uk/products/clutch-slave-cylinder-integrale-and-evo?_pos=2&_sid=7c4adcdbe&_ss=r as SP. DHL shipping had the part to me in less than 2 business days of ordering the part.

If you're in a hurry, this may be a good way to go as you can have it shipped to your door in a day or two for $75 from Deltaworks (including shipping). If you're not in a hurry (or mind the transaction payment methods), it would probably be better to order the seals from our forum member and rebuild your original.

Good luck with the repair!

2cam

bluesubielover likes this.
  17. bluesubielover

Apr 18, 2019
    Chesapeake, VA
    Full Name:
    Carl Von Mosch

18. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Is this also valid for the Mondial T?

19. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Guido, do you have the seal kit for a T?

20. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I dont think mondial t has the same sistem as the other mondials....maybe the master cilinder is the same, but I have no idea of the diameter of the seal(s).

21. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    Easy job. Hone out the cylinder and replace the seal. See picture below for PN

22. theunissenguido

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You can even do this with the pump stil in place....

23. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, I did that with the pump in place. A bit difficult to access, but possible.

moysiuan likes this.
  24. hnichols

hnichols Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Hugh Nicholson
    Pretty basic stuff, but I made a video about putting my car away for the winter. Maybe it will help someone. Or maybe someone will have suggestions for improvement:

MvT and djs308 like this.
  25. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Great job, I agree with your comments on build quality. I had a 2008 Audi and all the plastic screws and connectors under the hood were brittle junk by 2017.

MvT likes this.