458 - 2011 Itala Coolant Flush Procedures | FerrariChat

458 2011 Itala Coolant Flush Procedures

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hgoodwiniii, Jul 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    #1 hgoodwiniii, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    Hi all, I want to flush the coolant in my 458 Italia. Does anyone any written coolant flush procedures 458 that they can share? Thanks

2. Expat458

Expat458 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    The Sand Pit
    Full Name:
    Paul Healey
    Check PM

hgoodwiniii likes this.
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    hgoodwiniii likes this.
  4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
  5. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I actually did this a few weeks ago on my Spider so I assume the Italia would be the same.

First you need to remove the front under pans on the left and right side.

under the car on the front left and right you will see two aluminum pipes on each side that are connected with a rubber hose that is about 6 inches long.

note the way the hoses and clamps are orientated. The hose on the left has a cut out and the pipe has a pin on it for alignment. The hose on the right does not have this.

open the reservoir cover on the coolant tank which is on the right side rear in the engine compartment. (At least on a spider).

disconnect the rubber hoses on each side and let it drain. Fair warning you will have a lot come out real quick.

you should get somewhere around 4 gallons out of these two locations without any trouble. I used compressed air in the reservoir and found it to not really be effective or necessary.

I believe the service manual has the capacity listed right at 4 gallons (gallons vs liters).

one tip on the rubber hoses when you remove the clamps is to use a small screwdriver to gently insert between the hose and pipe to break it loose. You may also try to twist. Avoid pliers as the pipes are soft and can be damaged. The black hoses could also have debris in them So I recommend cleaning them inside if you plan on reusing them if all are still supple. The price of the hoses are quite high for what they are.

after dripping dry reinstall the hoses and clamps.

I used zerex G05 concentrate and purchased 2 gallons. I went to the grocery store and got two gallons of distilled water. I filled from the reservoir and it took around 2.5 gallons. I cranked the car for a few mins while monitoring the temperature gauge and shut it down. I was able to get another gallon in easily and then used the last half gallon to top it off after running and driving for a bit.

all in all it is easy and not hard to bleed the air out of.

on coolant. The original looked pink which is indicative of Dex Cool. After reading a lot of post here I chose the G05 and plan on changing every two years. The G05 looks like dehydrated piss in color. There was another zerex some recommend but it was not liner safe.

hope this helps.

6. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Thank you Double D ... I wondered if there was an air bleed somewhere. You have alleviated my concerns.

7. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Is the Shell Glyoshell longlife coolant still available? Thanks.

8. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I don’t know for sure and maybe country dependent. I found a lot of the recommended fluids were unobtainable at least easily..here in the US.

9. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    That's surely the way it seems. Thanks.

10. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    I don’t know how accurate the spec sheets are for the fluids, but I took a lot of time and compared spec sheets with what was recommended and the obtainable options here.

You would be surprised how lacking some of the well advertised brands are on their spec sheets.

I found Motul to be the closet for the DCT fluid and the DCT gear oil with the LS additive.

Coolant I went with the G05 after a lot of the recommendations on this site and IIRC it was pretty close to shell.

hgoodwiniii likes this.