C8 Z06 | Page 5 | FerrariChat

C8 Z06

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by sainthoo, Jun 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    Aero bits very similar to McLaren 600LT and 765 LT. Not that that’s a bad thing!!! :)

boxerman likes this.
  2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Unless they really mess it up, the z06 looks like it's going to be safe from any cayman Gt4 Rs(same ok motor as Gt4 yawn but with PDK), as long as porche holds the cayman back cause Gt3 its going to reamain niche product. Cynical marketing will hurt porche, while hopefully chev just makes the best z06 it can(weight and steering).

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayman-gt4/201770/porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-spied

4. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  5. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I wouldn't trust MT on a bet...two days before THIS story hit, they (MT) were reporting that the Z06 was twin turbo.

They're also the guys that reported that GM was under rating the C8's LT2 by almost 100HP:rolleyes:

6. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    At this point it is more than just MT reporting this, for example: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1124729_c8-chevrolet-corvette-z06-reportedly-coming-with-625-horsepower-9-000-rpm-redline?ocid=uxbndlbing
    I think it is looking pretty good that the Z06 will indeed be NA with a flat plane crank and high redline.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  7. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #107 jimmyb, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    ^^^
    Car and Driver reported that the Z06 engine was a NA DOHC FPC (now THAT there is some acronyms!) 2 months ago.

And let's not forget the Motor Trend C7 "render" that they published in September 2012 (4 MONTHS before the intro)...and got it totally WRONG, even though Jalopnik's "render" which was just about spot on had been out there for well over a year...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Some comparative data.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a33825844/2020-chevy-corvette-stingray-z51-vs-2020-porsche-718-cayman-gt4/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_cdb&utm_medium=email&date=090320&utm_campaign=nl21384590

Reading the article some things jump out. A 20K price Delta and the porche is on superior tires, so comparative laptimes are off and I suspect if the evtte had the same tires as the porche its times would be measurably better.. That beign said the vette chassis is setup for track, which is very different to street specs> These vettes seem to need full on track align to dance which alters road manners a lot, yet the vette chassis still didnt have the dynamics of the proche.
    Build quality is a ?

In fairness to the vette, porche has been honing the 718 for years and this is just ver 1.0 evtte.
    A z06 is going to be a different animal, might even be shorter from what we read.. Still the vette lacks that honing and while objectively its there or close, subjectively it has ways to go, and subjective counts for a lot in a sports car.

The C5 architecture was developed and honed all the way through the C7. The C8 is ver 1.0 year 1..

9. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Its kind of a silly comparison if you ask me. They take the top end version of the 718 (GT4) and compare it to the base Corvette.
    If you are doing it right compare the base 718 to the base Corvette, as you said the Z06 will be a different beast and its not even going to be the top end version of the C8.

ForzaV12 and jm2 like this.
  10. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yep, they gotta have something to write to keep clicks and advertising coming in.
    I still say the C8 Z06 will indeed be NA with a flat plane crank and high redline, guess we'll see.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a30607874/flat-plane-v-8-chevy-mid-engine-corvette-z06-spy-video/

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    the gt4 is the trackable version of the 718 the z06 will be it’s natural competitor.

other c8s like zr1 May have more hp but in a track context they will not be the top end, that’s the z06.

the zr1 would more correctly be compared to a porche 911 turbo, both being heavy excess hp road cars that can do one or two fast laps before the weight and excess hp use up the tires and brakes.

my takeaway is the ver1.0 Vette lacks the finesse And directness. of the gt4. One is a chassis or calibration issue the other is simply what happens when you compare a gt car c8 to a track focused one.

You’re right if we compared the c8 to a more base 718 we’d be comparing apples to apples. The great v8 to a cynical turbo 4 which at best is ok. Given that the subjective went to the gt4 we can well assume that if the cayman had the turbo 4 and pdk it would have lost in pretty much every category subjective and objective except maybe steering feel chassis dynamics.and build. I’ve driven a 4cyl cayman on track, the motor is not as bad as the press would have us belive but it’s certainly not tuneful and inspiring. To drive I found the regular cayman pretty boring, more gt just like the ver1.0 c8.

let’s see what gm does, Will the zo6 be a real gt3 killer or more ave radon ie lots of drama but too big and heavy to really dance.

The potential seems to be there it’s just a question of how far chev takes it. One thing for sure if they really hone the z06 it will have limited appeal and be more of a halo car. Track focused machines tend to have far less practicality or ride quality than owners, especially non track owners are used to and they can be noisy.

as we see in the press it’s possible that to get the Centre exhaust the rear trunk may diminish and the whole rear overhang may be shorter. That will make for a great sounding and lighter car, but it also won’t be a golf clubs to the club car. Horses for courses. Let’s see how far they take it.

so far based on what we know of the c8 and what’s in line for the z06 I’m pretty excited about what’s possible, nit it’s a long way to go still.

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I have a Yellow Bird GT4 on order. 6 cylinder, 6 speed, regular seats, 400 hp. I may never take it to the track, but if I do, the absolute max is 9/10s, most likely 8/10s. I turn 68 in a couple of weeks. I suspect the car will outlive me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Pawilly likes this.
  13. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I've never seen you drive.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Youre going to love the car. As the article said surprisingly comfy for the road, a tuneful motor and stick.Or evrything that made a 355 great, but daily reliable and better handling/power.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, it's gonna be my YOLO (You Only Live Once) present.

jm2 likes this.
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yolo yellow

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    unlikely. Your comparison is like a lotus exige and viper. Two completely different tools.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think you misunderstood. The gt4 and z06 will be completely different animals. Still it would be nice if the z06 had the virtues of the gt4 or the f8.

There are lots of Objectively fast cars for a few laps, maclaren Comes to mind, but very few that are all of a piece and can really bag in there all day, and day after day.

The good porches tend to be all
    Of a piece with the good bits you red to dance o. Track all day already there. l. The last Vette to achieve greatness IMO was the c6 zo6. Now they’re starting with better build and the right layout let’s see whether they go for greatness or compromise and miss as in the c7

vipers the last one was almost a. Great car, but that pushrod v10
    Layout was too long in tooth regardless of
    The numbers.

The other viper lesson is more raw cars may work well when on track but they’re a tough sell. Same with the good lotus.

the c8 seems to be following the 911 model with multiple variants for different purposes. Let’s see how well they pull it off. So far ver1.0 is a Learjet for the road, that’s one market. A z06 by name promises to offer something honed for a different segment, and if really honed that segment will be small.

if gm can hone and focus the z06 as porche does the gt3 and gt4 they may have something, not eh “fastest”variant Or comfy limited utility but the best To drive esp on backroads and track. Hopefully they do because other wise it’s just going to be A faster vette and all that implies, fast but not compelling.

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I think there is only 1 track ready car the GT3. I can't think of any car I could pound on all day long without modifications.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Im assuming the Gt4 is track ready like aGt3. A lotus elise is too and I think a miata needs little, street legal cars arriving at the track on dot tires.
    Hopefully Chev takes the Gt3 capability on track to heart, not just the 1 lap numbers.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I turn 68 in a couple of weeks. My Ricky Racer days are over. If I go to the track, it will be just for ****s and giggles.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

normv and jm2 like this.
  22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    true

23. sainthoo

sainthoo Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    Full Name:
    Christian
    650ish HP, >9000 RPM

95spiderman, TheMayor and VAF84 like this.
  24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Very "458-ish"

G. Pepper and 95spiderman like this.
  25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Thecadster likes this.