Why so many 812 coupes up for resale? | FerrariChat

Why so many 812 coupes up for resale?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Jerry Kennelly, Aug 31, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jerry Kennelly

Apr 29, 2020
    I have ordered an 812 spyder. But I see dozens and dozens of 812 coupes on the market. Is there something wrong with the 812 model series???

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    They're awesome. Owners trading up probably.

vraa likes this.
  3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You were able to order a Spyder through a Ferrari dealer? Have they given you a build date? It is my understanding all the Spyders are gone for the foreseeable future.

BTW, the reason for the coupes being on the market is Ferrari required those ordering a Spyder to buy a coupe. If you can buy a Spyder straight up, you just saved yourself a lot of money.

vraa likes this.
  4. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    ^ This

Although I really like my coupe , I can't afford to keep it when my GTS comes in so I will be feeling another large depreciation come the end of the year. :(
    I was on the dealers list of at least 30 pp (he had no idea of how many slots he would get) since Jan. (almost right after I took delivery of my coupe in Nov. '19)
    Today I was just told today my build slot is Jan 21, and to expect it March - Yea! :)

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Hey, it's only money, right? They're making plenty more of it, can't say the same about Ferraris.

phanliu, vraa and Alcav5 like this.
  6. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I see a lot of 812s too. Many more 812s than F12s. Many of these cars have been on the market for way over 6 mths. Might have something to do with asking prices still in the $375-430K range. That's still a lot of dough even with the extra money in the economy!

vraa likes this.
  7. Jerry Kennelly

Apr 29, 2020
    Awesome is the answer I wanted

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    GTS and upcoming 812 GTO coming, im guessing owners are just positioning themselves. Maybe SF90 too.

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    BTW AFAIK dealers are not pushing the requirement that you have ordered a V12 previously to get one of the last GTS spots. There were a few left as of last month.

10. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    I think location matters. No slots left w my dealer. I got mine about a month ago and not sure if they have delivered any more. Big, multi dealer on the west coast.

ryalex likes this.
  11. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    This car was purported to be the first GTS in US. . . beautiful when I saw it for 5 minutes :)

So. . . , impressions?

ryalex likes this.
  12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think you are correct. I live in Austin and you wonder how we even have a F car dealership but there is a lot of money here and there are a lot of buyers that will play the dealer game. My neighbor was one of them but I think once he started losing money on his cars he quit the game. He was only interested if he could own a new Ferrari every year for $5-10k. He never put more than 600 miles on his cars was the rule he told me. I was flabbergasted, what's the point? He was pissed that the Rapide he bought lost $125k in one year.

of2worlds, Boomhauer, RamsHmb and 2 others like this.
  13. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #13 wrs, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    When I ordered my 812 on Jan 2 my dealer was. I would suggest one more possibility as to why there are so many for sale right now.

They are very expensive cars, not many can afford one. Even at a discount to MSRP they are more expensive than a new F8.

Here is another thought, the same money in TSLA or AAPL will make you a fortune in a short time so why waste it buying a car?

Texas Forever, 09Scuderia and ryalex like this.
  14. nads

nads Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2008
    London, UK
    #14 nads, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Too many produced, too expensive a price point, too much dealer hype and too much speculative interest = dozens and dozens of 812 coupes on the market. :p;)

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. Adamas

Adamas F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2012
    Out of town
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was told that thise requirements varied by dealer, but that Ferrari corporate wanted 812 customers to have first shot at the GTSs.

Mike

ryalex likes this.
  16. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    IMO if he was only interested in a Ferrari at a $5k/year budget then likely not an enthusiast. Today its a little different story as it doesn't appear new production cars are that fought over but not too long ago it was harder to get an allocation partly because someone like this chewed up an enthusiasts' place in line.

wrs likes this.
  17. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Folks....if you like Ferrari V12s go drive an 812. Stupendously amazing car. It is a great time to be a buyer.

18. j34

j34 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2019
    USA
    Full Name:
    J
    Agreed. I’m confused, but not disappointed as to why there are so many for sale. Once fully depreciated I’m likely going to buy another pre-GPF 812!

italiafan likes this.
  19. Jerry Kennelly

Apr 29, 2020
    Happy to report I got my 812 GTS Spider production date confirmation this morning. Jan 2021 production for March/April delivery. I like the 3 earlier models that I have now, but I think I will be head over heels for this one.

Alcav5 and of2worlds like this.
  20. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    There are a ton of super fast out there and more coming. Some have had their car 2 plus years so its time for them to move onto something else. Many others trading for gts or having dealer consign it before gts comes in. I think you'll see 812's at 250 be end of year/early next year, wholesale they are already 260-280. I got rid of mine and got an F8, wanted something newer and love the mid engine cars. 812 is a great car don't get me wrong.

21. Snaponjackson

Snaponjackson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 19, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS INDIANA USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Jackson
    Just curious when you placed your order.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. Jerry Kennelly

Apr 29, 2020
    November 2019, as soon as the configurator was up and running.

23. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    mine also Jan 21 build , March April delivery...

24. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    I have been offered 3 now, all just under $260k

25. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    3 SF's under 260? are they listed as such or are these verbal communications?
    curious if you could share year/mile just to generate data points for comparison.
    i was offered a well-spec'd 17 F12 w 15k mi at 200 which, despite the mileage, is ~40 less than typical asking for a '17.