Didn't even know we were still frequently using the U2, but China is sure griping about it... | FerrariChat

Didn't even know we were still frequently using the U2, but China is sure griping about it...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by David_S, Aug 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The U-2's sensors are mostly side looking now, so they do not have to directly overfly targets. If the Chinese are unhappy, mission accomplished.

greg328, technom3, boxerman and 5 others like this.
  3. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    From what I've read? Think you nailed it.

Just gonna say? Thank goodness for the U2, SR-71, and every bits & bobs otherwise that nobody needs to know about! Aviation wise? Still think the U2 (speaking aircraft only) is such a cool, and rather simple thing. Kinda like tossing a glider WAY the heck up there. ;)

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    They have been continually upgraded, from the J-57 from the F-100 and F102 to J-75 engines without afterburner from the F-105/106, and then with the B-2 F-118 turbofans. Needless to say, the F-118 is much more fuel efficient and pilot endurance now makes my eyes water. Especially in a full pressure suit. They flew with us out of Taif in Saudi Arabia and stayed up a long, long time.

greg328 and technom3 like this.
  5. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    They’re just upset that they can’t fly up there and run into it!

6. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    My recollection is that there are around 30 left in the fleet. A guy I work with came to us from U-2s and it’s interesting to hear about though not sure it’s something I would wanna do. Wearing what is essentially a flight suit for long hours in a cramped cockpit with a weird catheter thing to pee in doesn’t sound like much fun.

kylec likes this.
  7. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    For an quick look at U2 flight:

8. airborne

airborne Karting

Feb 19, 2013
    Northern VA
    The -101 engine finally gave the pilot a FADEC after all those years, which was a huge improvement. I was always amazed to see them in depot maintenance torn down. No main wing spar carry through structure in the fuselage. Just 8 bolts attaching each wing if I recall.

9. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    What matters is how big those bolts are. The 707 wing was attached by 4 bolts but they were as big around as milk bottles. I'll bet that those 8 bolts attached to a beefy forged bulkhead ring. It's all in the engineering.

tritone, islerodreaming and greg328 like this.