Help please, my 308 was hit hard, is this fixable or totaled? | FerrariChat

Help please, my 308 was hit hard, is this fixable or totaled?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Alex S., Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alex S.

Alex S. Rookie

May 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Alexander Joseph Simon
    My brother was driving my 308 gts and he was cut off by and hit by an suv who didn’t see him and he hit the barrier doing 30-45 mph, then they sped off and ran. Is this fixable? Or is it a total loss? Sorry if the photos aren’t the best. He’s ok, he’s just in shock as we only bought in mid June and spent until July 25th waiting on a clutch service. Thanks!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You really need a pro to assess the damage but, from some experience, it looks like you would need a front clip for starters but you would have to find a used one which is tough since most wrecked cars are wrecked in the front. Then there is the matter of windshield, frame condition, damaged suspension and other underhood components. Anything can be fixed for a price of course. My admittedly non pro guess is well into five figures 30K and up. So sorry to see this though.

Dave

3. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Indubitably fixable if the chassis wasn’t seriously pranged. A new front clip and windshield and you’re good to go...say $75k total.

Might be worth it if you want to keep and drive the car, but resale value will be seriously diminished once the Carfax report is updated.

Good luck,
    Alan
    N.J.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Hopefully that windshield wasn't the result of your brother's head hitting it...

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Fixable yes. Anything is fixable. Negotiate as much as you can with the insurance co, give them the car, and go find you another. You may come out smelling like a rose on this.

They just got more rare.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It's going to be a long shot for the insurance to want to "fix" damage of that nature on an exotic. I would definitely push for maximum payout on a total. You can try to buy it back, but most likely not worth it when you price parts to fix it yourself. Sorry to say, but I think you need to accept that this one is (and should be) a goner.

Dane and Texas Forever like this.
  7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    You'll need a pro to do the assessment, but my gut feeling is that it's totaled

8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    No pro either but looks totaled to me. Sorry to see this happen to you guys. At least he's OK, though. That's what sucks about small cars today, you have to drive very defensively, almost like a motorcycle.

9. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As others have said anything is fixable for a price but on a 308 GTS the cost to repair damage might exceed what it would cost to buy another one. On the other hand I doubt anyone can say for sure on the internet.

Glad your brother's ok and sorry this happened. One of the many reason I am firmly in the anti-SUV camp.

kes7u likes this.
  10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Is this a GTSi ? If it is, the answer is it's probably totaled which is a bummer because 2/3rds of the car are in tact.

What's the year?

11. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    A good body man can fix it but it will never look the same all the panels will be wavy Hood will be wavy and then there is the Carfax issue I would let them total it and if you're married to the car buy it back and have it fixed up 2 drivable condition.... it will be a salvage title

12. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    It sucks because a wreck like that your interior is still mint. engine and drivetrain is still mint it's only front end cosmetic

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The sum of the parts and labor is always greater then the worth of the car.
    Just make sure insurance company gives you enough to buy equivalent vehicle

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

15. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    So sorry to read about your damaged car, Alex!

I had a similar incident a couple of years ago. My mechanic changed the clutch on my 575M and when he went out for a test drive, he spun the car and totalled it. Here is the story including pics of the damage: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/a-sad-day-for-me-and-my-575m.353855/

You can’t say what the costs are to fix your car just from pictures. The main question is, if the frame is bent or not. If it’s bent this will be a different story to fix your car.

In my case the frame was not bent and my mechanic (foreman of an official Ferrari dealer) spent some hours to compile a more than two pages long list just for the parts. At the end the estimate was 118 K Swiss Francs to fix the car. This is roughly the same in USD.

So my insurance company paid me the money and I bought a new (used) 575M HGTC which was even the better car than the one that got crashed.

Since the 575M is a much more modern car, Ferrari had all parts (or at least most of them) and they could have just ordered them at the factory. For your 308 parts might be a big problem since I assume Ferrari has no spare parts you could buy. So you had to search for parts.

(Nearly) everything is fixable but the question is at what cost. I would be prepared that this will be an expensive fix. Sorry for not having better news.

I feel with you

Markus

RonH and Texas Forever like this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    From the insurance company POV, it gets totaled just because of the damage to value ratio. You could buy it on the cheap and rebuild it, but unless you had Jeff Spicolis Dad's tools it would be tough going.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  17. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    Sorry to see this happen and for it to be your first post.
    I hope the person who was driving the car that caused the accident is caught and their insurance company does the right things.
    If your insurance company needs to step up and get involved then I hope you have faith and trust that they will take care of you.
    I hope for your sake that you have a good insurance agent and that you have purchased enough coverage. I see people buying coverage and all they worry about is how they can save $3 a month in premiums when they should be worried about having an agent that will have your best interest at hand and adequate coverage.
    Please let us know how this works out for you.

Best wshes,
    Gene Greer

18. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Sad to see, let it go, "Never fall in love with something that can’t love you back"

19. 430tdf

430tdf Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2008
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Sad to say its totaled, you know what Ferrari parts cost, by the time you add that and the labor to fix and finish it properly it not worth repairing it. The Carfax will follow it around forever and it will never be worth near anything near what a un-crashed one is worth. You do no want it back unless you can make a sweetheart deal to buy the salvage to part it out and help subsidize the cost of a new one.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  20. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    A life lesson that I have learned (the hard way) is don't repair cars that have been in a major collision and don't renovate houses. What you think you cannot live without, you can and the replacement is often better. Time to move on.