Alternative to California duster | FerrariChat

Alternative to California duster

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Aug 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I have done some experimenting under LED light, and a California duster can in fact scratch clear coat. I changed to this product - it was 15 bucks and it does a great job. If you use it once a week, you buy another one in a year.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Never would use a duster. I use my polishing towels once and then they go into the washing machine. Why "dust" your car off to remove surface contamination only to use the same rag, device, etc. over and over again with the darn thing impregnated with all the previous dust and contaminates you removed the last time you used it. Makes no sense to me.

Probably not the duster that is scratching the clear coat but what is living in it that does.

Husker and EastMemphis like this.
  3. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I never liked those anyways. It would always leave oily streaks on my cars.

4. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    interesting. I've got some "detailer" spray that works well. I wonder if things like Windex are good/bad/neutral on a car finish? Maybe some paint guys can weigh in on this one.

6. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
    Funny it was a paint guy that I got that from. Now if your paint is not in great shape wax can help hide some imperfections but over time wax builds up and starts to look hazy. Windex strips wax off, I only use Groits speed wax some times

7. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Full self-healing PPF is the only way to go. Never have to worry about microscratches. With suntek and ceramic coating the car is so slippery most dust that creeps through car cover is gone after spirited drive

8. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    You might have a look at my other thread “The arduous task of removing 20 year old film”. :D

9. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
  10. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I’m thinking that it’s not the duster that is leaving microscratches, it’s the dust itself being wiped across the surface. That dust can contain metal oxide particles, all types of fibers, etc.

If that holds true, wouldn’t the Zodiac duster leave the same scratches as it wipes particles across the Ferrari soft clear coat?

I use my jet speed air dryer/blower. I’d love a better alternative if scratches can be avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. Metalguru

Metalguru Rookie

May 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Paul Brewer
    The safest way to remove dust from your car is with a lubricant, like water.
    If your car is only dusty, I would recommend rinsing it thoroughly and drying it. California dusters or wiping with detailer and a cloth will grind the dust into the paint.
    Here's Larry talking about it:

greg328 likes this.