Suspension/carbon airbox info | FerrariChat

Suspension/carbon airbox info

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Aj360, Aug 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    hey guys ferrari 360 suspension doing some maintenance ball joints tie rod ends so on.. the Ferrari maintenance said that all 4 shocks are leaking oil ? Confused cause I thought that the shocks are gas filled ?? Anyone got any idea about the oil part ??

also got a 430 muffler on the car got a gruppie m air box for a steal ... some say will make it sound more like a challenge straddle cause the airbox is bigger/ intake or is it just more a show piece ??

cheers guys

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

1. leaking oil does NOT mean it is necessarily bad. although it is an good indicator. depends on how much oil leaked. the shocks are not gas based. they are oil based. very conventional.
    the only way to check if the shocks are good is to take them out, remove spring and push manually
    2. the only thing that will affect the sound of the 360 noticeably is the exhaust muffler(big box). All others are imperceptible.

3. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Yeah weird man i thought they were gas not oil they said there’s oil coming out of them being a Ferrari dealer ship I am sure it’s something minor and there doing the over kill ..

I got the 430 muffler on and got a gruppie m airbox thought mite bring more cs tone to due to better induction to ;) 430 muffler is close to it tho I must say :)

4. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

may not be overkill. if it leaks, in most cases, the shocks are gone

5. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj

Yeah man there saying all 4 corners are leaking looks like all 4 shocks needed ;) 360 only only done 62000km hasn’t been tracked.. doesn’t feel like there stuffed

6. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

you can check it by removing the coilover and then remove the spring, manually push the rod in and see if it rebounds back

7. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Think when I go around tomorrow or it’s on the hoist will ask them to show me the leaks .. drives good man i am doing

all tie rod ends front to back
    Upper lower ball joints front to back
    And front drop link arms

I new all them were cactus when I got it but rode it out to now

Worse case looks like be chasing some new oem suspension :(

8. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

go for some aftermarket shocks if you don't mind the warning sign on the dash.
    a lot cheap than oem

Aj360 likes this.
  9. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Mite be the case my man or even rebuild the ones I got .. personally I don’t think there all gone be very very unlucky Ferrari here will say you need all new brake pads if you have 15% ware on them.. could be some grease or dirt .. but I will be letting you know this week coming ;) also coolant issue sorted which is good resistor was shot ..

10. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

Actually, I bet your tie rod and ball joints, etc are like "15% wear on break pads", too.

trust me, most of them don't need to be replaced. Its for psychological reasons sometimes. for example, some ball joint clunks, and when I remove those clunking ball joints, they still can be used, just a little tiny bit of a play will result in clunk.

In very few occasions do I see a tie rod replaced and be noticed a change in driving characteristics. Yes, if you replace everything, there will be a noticeable change, but 2-3 component won't let you feel anything.

What I usually do is that I replace those tie rods and ball joints that really have a noticeably play. for example, more than 1-2mm.

Also, according to my experience, the steering rack's inner tie rod is more prone to play than the outer tie rod, which I believe is what you replaced. The inner tie rod is not a separate part, in our case, it is part of the 360's steering rack.

Aj360 likes this.
  11. Aj360

Aj360 Karting

Dec 28, 2018
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    A j -aj
    Man my ball joints were no good there bad enough they haven’t been done since new 18 years ago worked out f all to do all the stuff was like 2300aud delivered for ball joints upper lower front and rear / all tie rod ends / and front drop link arms I wont complain there ...

They showed me some pics of the tie rods man they looked ancient and well for ware ball joints I knew from day one was told they were needed :)

Suspension fingers crossed isn’t that bad hopefully it’s a shock that needs some love not all 4 .. never heard of many 360 coping complete 4 corner suspension being rooted