Annoying- One Key at Sale | FerrariChat

Annoying- One Key at Sale

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by NuorderSG, Aug 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Someone posed the question in a For Sale thread in the Ferrari Cars, classifieds section. I didn't want to hijack that thread with a rant on this topic. Though it's a major annoyance I've heard of before where a seller only had One Key.

The one key thing is a PIA. Don't know why some sellers do this (not accusing anyone here).

Though some sellers want to keep the cool factor of having a F car key as a memento or bragging rights.

On the other hand, some sellers genuinely misplaced, lost, or have the second key in their vacay home in the Caymans or Macau. Either way, it's easily a $1,000 endeavor to get a second key. Ferrari requires pink slip in hand...doesn't matter if they know you personally. For those who finance, it's particularly arduous as they need to get written permission from the lien holder.

So, when I sell my F-Car, I will make sure I have that second key & key card ( in case I didn't have them) for the new buyer and save them the hassle. It's not a matter of money as all can be factored into the selling price. It's a matter of respect for whom is buying the car.

I know it's a hassle because I experienced a somewhat similar annoyance when I left the key on my keyring at our place in Singapore.

I wanted to have two keys here; and so I went to de dealer to get a Third key made. I do have my key card and pink slip, but it was still a hassle bc those were at our place in NYC and I am in SV Valley for the summer. Without the key card and pink slip, I couldn't get a key made until I got those in hand.

I can't imagine the frustration of Not having a key card and then having to plead with some lender to send a Written Approval...oh dear Lord....(as wrists are being cut with a wooden knife! )

430tdf likes this.
  2. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I'm currently in this situation - car was CPO, only came with one key. Dealer said they couldn't get second key made, told me to have one ordered at my local dealer and they will pay for it. Can't get key made without the car being registered in my name. Can't register car without going to DMV, which is now appointment-only. Earliest DMV appointment is at the end of October. Nightmare.

3. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

- sorry to hear.

Heads up, if it's a newer model car (430 & up ... 360 maybe?), you will need not only the Title to the car, but the Key Card. Abt $400 and abt Two Weeks to get it from Ferrari...but you need to get the Title first.

4. Regular Guy 01

Regular Guy 01 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 10, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Full Name:
    Eugene Greer
    I so understand your point in giving the new owners of our cars 2 keys. I appreciate your view on getting a second one made up if you find yourself with only 1 key and wanting to put your car on the market. Making the new owner happy with 2 keys in their hand is a respectful thing to do. I only wish everyone here had this view. Karma will look down on you with respect.

Best wishes,
    Gene Greer

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I have three keys and three fobs to go with my 360 when listing next week.

gotta take care of the next guy...

Robb

6. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I only got a single key when I purchased my current Ferrari, and had tried to at least get a cheap blank cut into a duplicate but the key cutting person may not have known how. to operate the machine and the key never worked. Luckily due to the internet and F-chat, I met the previous owner and he had recently found the other key and graciously sent it to me. How awesome, right? I plan to to get another cheap blank from the sources on Ebay, and try to get one cut to work as a backup. They sell the blanks where you swap the circuit board from your other key, and without the electronics it would at least work to get into the car in case you got locked out somehow.

Auraraptor likes this.