F430 Spider Detailing ? - Fabric top & Cam Covers | FerrariChat

F430 Spider Detailing ? - Fabric top & Cam Covers

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by jag-oo-r, Jul 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Hi all:
    I spent a couple of hours cleaning the F430 Spider yesterday, before we rolled it up the canyon for lunch.
    She shines-up quite-nicely.
    I have a couple of questions for y'all, though.
    Specifically;
    - How do you care for the fabric top? Dan "Whattheheck" clearly took good care of the top, as it's dark black and the water beads very well. However, a bird did what they do on the top yesterday, and I wasn't sure what to use to handle that.

- The red wrinkle paint on the intakes and the cam-covers; how do you maintain that? I blow it off with air, but that's not going to be enough as the miles continue to accumulate. How do you all care for that? Wash with water? any coatings?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I used a mild degreaser and a soft brush for the red covers, then sprayed them with Griots Engine Dressing. They look brand new.
    I can’t remember what I used for the convertible top on my Boxster, it’s two parts. Do an Amazon search.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jag-oo-r likes this.
  3. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I would either use a 303 water proofer for the top. Or Gyeon Fabric will work well too. There’s plenty of tutorials on YouTube on the process for both products. You will need to clean the top before treating for the best look. I would think (operative word here) that a detailer would use an extractor to get the dirt removed from the top before waterproofing it.

jag-oo-r likes this.
  4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I second 303 cleaner with boars hair brush and then a heavy coat of 303 fabric guard applied with a brush not the spray they give u

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

jag-oo-r likes this.
  5. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    It was the 303 that I used too.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jag-oo-r likes this.
  6. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    Diluted APC and use a soft brush to clean the top and the valve covers. Then I use fabric protector spray on the top (Dan used the same thing). Nothing on the valve covers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jag-oo-r likes this.
  7. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Thanks everyone, for all your responses!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Use care with the 303 fabric sealant. If you read the directions, it says to keep it off rubber, trim , everything except the top. It is very hard to get overspray off of glass, ask me how i know...

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #9 flash32, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    Very good point ..that is why I recommend (also mentioned above) and used the brush on method .. cleaner and more protection.. another thing I do is after washing and being dried .. use a lint remover (scotch tape roll) before using the 303 with a small paint brush

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    the BIGGER question is why was your top ever up while driving around in the first place.... :)

11. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    Griots engine cleaner for the red engine parts, whole engine actually, and then Griot's Engine Bay Dressing all over it as well. Looks like new. Can't speak about the top as mine only gets a gentle wash and never needed any coating.

12. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Thank all for the great tips, just got an F430 spider and want to give the engine bay a good going over, the valve covers have grease, but the whole thing could use a cleaning.

So you literally wash the engine as in this video?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3Djvg2tf7k7XM&ved=2ahUKEwiVp8PHh6jtAhV4SzABHesvAb0Qt9IBMAd6BAgKEA8&usg=AOvVaw36N4xRm4lgfVIwD-jDJpSh

I presume you would mask the perimeter so as not to get all this on the car?

Any other tips appreciated! Thank you so much!

Thanks all! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login