360 - Oil under throttle body | FerrariChat

360 Oil under throttle body

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Aug 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Have you check your oil level as per manual ? Maybe overfilled ?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  4. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Must have been the oil service I did last year. Due for one shortly will make sure they pay attention to that.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If it is overfilled I wouldn't drive it too much longer you just going to make matters worse and possibly ruin your MAF sensors

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I had the same when removing my air box covers on my F430. The resonance tubes (not sure if that's the correct name) attached to the air box covers actually had oil sitting in them. The bottom of the MAF was oily too. Cleaned up best I could. I assume it's from an overfill.

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Well you can check the dipstick with the car cold and you should see no oil on the stick! Trouble is that the difference of oil level between a warm engine and very warm engine is a big swing too. You might be able to let the car run and keep checking it as the engine temp starts to come up. You could shut it down if it's going too high up the stick but it will take you 15 minutes of idle for the engine to reach correct temp for checking and it's a hot place to hang out but that is what I would do. If the oil level is not overfilled then maybe you have some weeping from a loose band clamp or a previous over fill in the past. Can you easily twist the TB's? The band clamps can be carefully pried open to loosen them and remove stuff to check but you'll need the correct tool to tighten them. I have used small flat head screwdriver in the pinched ear and gently open up the pinched ear until you can slide off the tube or component.

Oetiker Clamp tool

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Oil is checked at full operating temp and idling. Set the cap on top of the reservoir, not screwed down, when checking oil. SO, it is best to check after you get back from a drive. Don't shut it off. Check when idling. Wear gloves because the cap gets very hot.

9. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Another thing that overfilling the oil can kill is the throttle body itself. The TB should be operating in a dry environment. When oil gets into the vent, and then passes by the TB, some may work its way into the electronics and motor area. That oil will dissolve the coating on the TB potentiometer thus destroying it, or severely shortening its life. These things are expensive too, around $1750 (Ricambia) each. If you're seeing oil seeping out of the TB, you have a potential expensive mess that should be cleaned up quickly.

At the very least, you should remove the rubber damper tubes that connect the TB to the MAF and clean everything carefully. It's also likely your MAF's are already contaminated and ruined, or their life severely reduced.

Here's what the inside of a TB should look like:

The above TB is from a 360 and has 20 years on it. Notice how clean everything is? I didn't have to touch it except to blow out some carbon buildup from the brushes.

The good news is that if you do ruin your TB's, they can be rebuild for $150 each using parts from another, less expensive, model like the Bosch 0 280 750 474.

Another way to remove the single ear crimp clamps is using an awl. A screwdriver can twist the clamp, destroying it. Working the awl into the crimp and rocking it back and forth keeps distortions to a minimum. Remember, never try and reuse a crimp clamp on ANY connection that carries liquid or holds pressure. The recrimped clamp will be a lot weaker and potentially leak. Always use a new clamp on such connections and use the proper tool to crimp it.

I've just recently become an expert at understanding and diagnosing problems with TB's...

10. mferrari43

mferrari43 Karting

Jan 23, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ferrari
    I’m noticing this but only on the passenger side. I’ve never overfilled the oil but maybe a previous owner did? It doesn’t make sense coming from only one side though. I did remove some aftermarket air filters that had oil on them and went back to the stock ones. Could this be the cause?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

11. mferrari43

mferrari43 Karting

Jan 23, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ferrari
  12. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #12 EastMemphis, Jan 23, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    @mferrari43 - the only place I can think of where oil might leak out of a throttle body is between the black plastic cap (where the electric connector is located) and the aluminum body. If that area is oil free, then it's likely the oil came from somewhere else. I assume the clamps are reasonably tight.

If you take off the air cleaner top and shine a light down the throat of the throttle body (through the MAF), you should be able to see how clean it is. If someone works the throttle pedal (key on, engine off) you can check deeper.

Odds are good that it's not the throttle body.

Note: If you have to remove the MAF, the 92mm x 9mm ear clamps are no longer available anywhere so be careful with them. It's a hose clamp if you can't reuse them.

Any codes? Car runs well?

mferrari43 likes this.
  13. mferrari43

mferrari43 Karting

Jan 23, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ferrari
    Thank you for the help. I will try disassembling some things soon to get a closer look. The car is running great with no error codes.

14. mferrari43

mferrari43 Karting

Jan 23, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ferrari
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Well it looks like a slight overfill. It’s only on the right hand side. Very weird as i put the car to half full on the dip stick warmed up. I guess i will go with barely touching the bottom of it next time… now for the cleanup. Any tips on what to make sure is clean?

EastMemphis likes this.
  15. mferrari43

mferrari43 Karting

Jan 23, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ferrari

The inside of the throttle body was perfectly clean like brand new inside, it seems the oil is shot inside the throttle body and leaks out around the fittings and drips at the bottom of the electronic part, making it seem like its coming from inside the electronic part.

EastMemphis likes this.
  16. mferrari43

mferrari43 Karting

Jan 23, 2022
    California
    Full Name:
    Matthew Ferrari
    I can’t believe how easy it is to overfill these cars… jeez

17. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Really it's any dry sump car. My Corvette has a similar process.