458 - Secret handshake to activate the electronic parking brake? | FerrariChat

458 Secret handshake to activate the electronic parking brake?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ekosan, Aug 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    When I first looked at the Speciale in May, someone said something about the EPB module being updated to a newer version. I told my dealer this and they had no idea what I was talking about. Many when I come to a stop and pull the EPB lever, nothing happens other than I see "HOLD" in the dash. Pulling the lever again only gets rid of the HOLD and pulling it again brings it back. What's the deal? TIA!

2. enzom

enzom Rookie

Oct 24, 2004
    Good question. I just took delivery of a 2015 Speciale this week and I need to pull the owner's manual to figure out how to park it at the top of my driveway. Sometimes pulling the lever engages the parking brake. Sometimes it does not.

3. unogib

unogib Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2006
    USA
    Agreed. Although I find if I open the door then it always engages. Just a little
    Trick.

Napoli and Ianjoub like this.
  4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I noticed the same thing. It puts it on "HOLD", until the door opens, then it's on "BRAKE"
    However, I think there's a little bit more to it as well. I'm not sure of the pattern, but it may put it on hold for a certain amount of time, then apply the BRAKE. I'm not sure though. The only 100% situation is the open door thing

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just shut the car off and you are good. text me next time crackhead

6. ekosan

ekosan Karting

Apr 25, 2006
    NJ
    Full Name:
    ekosan
    Circling back: The dealer did replace the parking brake module, but it still does the HOLD thing from time to time.

7. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    I agree, I have had my Speciale for 2.5 years and have never figured out why it sometimes applies the EPB and sometimes just says hold. In either case the car will roll, but I have always wondered what was going on. The owners manual does not explain it correctly either.

8. 458Spider2013

458Spider2013 Karting

Dec 1, 2021
    Full Name:
    Pete Gregory
    Anyone know the procedure to activate the e brake after a bumper removal (cable disconnect)?

is this better left to a shop or DYI?