911 hot rod re-imagined | FerrariChat

911 hot rod re-imagined

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by marksgtv, Jun 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    I had some damage to fix and a rare opportunity came up so I did a little tweaking.
    Slate gray hood and engine lid with some vinyl treatments to front and rear.

Definitely dig the results.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dreichman

dreichman Formula Junior

Sep 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Send more pics. Looks interesting.

3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    love 911 builds, share more pics

Looks like a perfect stance! Nice work.

4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    And more information - what is / was it and what have you done to it?

5. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    Thanks guys. Its been quite a roller coaster ride with this thing... most of it good... some great fun. Some, not so much.
    The car was featured in Excellence Magazine a while back:
    https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/214/articles/backdated-sc#.WxK1Hqkh3UI
    This will tell you most of the story. I wanted an early 911 but couldn't make it happen so I ended up with a '78 SC. I liked the car but the R Gruppe hot rod virus had infected me big-time. I had to have one. So I set out to create my interpretation of a light-weight, 911R, endurance inspired 911 — like something you might have seen at Le Mans in the late 1960s, early '70s. Looked at tons of period photos.

So in May of 2017 I had a mishap which required some body work. The guys at the shop I use have a pretty good relationship with another shop who kind of screwed up some roof damage that was done after hurricane irene. They agreed to fix it along with the new damage and ended up repainting the entire car.

I didn't love the lighter grey that I had because it was a modern, Audi color that had a metal flake in it when the sun shown on it... didn't like that much.
    I LOVE slate grey on 911s and went for it.

I upgraded the suspension with Tarett stuff a couple of years ago. Engine is pretty much stock but with Webers. One of the biggest things is we managed to get almost 700 pounds off the original weight which really transformed the car.

It goes like stink and is just an absolute blast to drive.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

zygomatic, hyenahf and JAM1 like this.
  6. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Fantastic! Just right, enough power to weight to scream around in and looks the part too. 901 series Porsche builds are da best! Almost looks 'chiffon white' too?

7. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    Good eye... it is chiffon

Mang likes this.
  8. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Sensational color on these cars! No one is going to mind more pics! :)

9. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    mark has all the goodies... rallye exh, halda, heuer and the vintage momo are to die for! a curta hidden in the glove box perhaps too? :)

10. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    Ha ha... We must know each other.... not yet on the Curta. But that could change

Image Unavailable, Please Login

hyenahf likes this.
  11. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    hyenahf and Mang like this.
  12. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    Off topic: I wanted to let you Porsche guys know about this T-shirt I had made up. The front image is based on the decal that was used on the vintage twin-plug racing engine distributor and the back image is from a sticker I found in Italy many years ago. I've sold quite a few already and taking orders on a second batch. If your interested in a shirt, PM me your size and shipping info... many thanks
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/magneti-marelli-tee-shirt.622354/#post-147384608

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    you were a previous alfa guy... i still have mine :)

14. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    Yes sir. I've always loved old Alfas.

15. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    Beautiful vintage 911. I just bought a 2001 Carrera C4 to be my analog daily driver. I feel that the 996.1 is the best option out there. And, my first love has always been Alfa...I'm a sucker for all the Italians...the A6G 2000 Maserati's of the 1950s, the early V8 Ferraris of the seventies. I've owned a lot of Alfas, vintage raced a 58 Giulietta Spider Veloce and a 65 Giulia Sprint, and currently have a 2017 Giulia. But I fear Alfa as a company is in serious trouble. That's why I only leased the Giulia...and I'll turn it in when the lease is up. After the GTV6, Alfa gave developing moderate priced coupes. They didn't even take on the 911s. They just surrendered to Fiat, except for a few show models like the 8C and Disco Volante. Even the 4C is just a toy...and it has just about the same exterior dimensions as my 911. Anyway your 911 has inspired me to start thinking what I could do to my 996.1. Thanks.

marksgtv likes this.