Major started on the 512tr | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Major started on the 512tr

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Zeff, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    keep her forever, but drive the Hell out of her!!

2. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    yep
    it about 8 hours to get the lump out
    but once its out its a piece of cake
    and the only pain is getting that water pump hose on when putting the motor back in
    you learn a lot about your car and are no longer worried driving it
    congrats
    Clyde

Zeff likes this.
  3. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    yep
    wear the paint off it
    I have 110k on mine

xplodee, Willdief and Zeff like this.
  4. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    I have had mine since 1996

Attached Files:

Natkingcolebasket69, MS250 and Zeff like this.
  5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may use silicone hoses, much easier then

6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I am surprised you spent all the money on the upgraded proven diff on a 512. Just goes to prove what I always say. Got way too much money laying around. Your diff would had been fine for the life of the car. Belts beautiful. Business must be great. The diff that came out of your car could have been sold to someone that needed it. First time buyers...smh

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Clyde, that message was to Zeff. Im on my cell phone

8. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Like I said. I went off of the strong recommendation from rifledriver. I had several phone conversations with him over the past 12 months. One more just before I did the major. I asked him directly if I should do it. He said it’s a major weak point even on the 512tr. So I do defer to the experts when it comes to the proper maintenance. But it also becomes a personal preference as well. Should you do the diff, should you do the major every 5 years, etc, etc. If he would have said it is totally unnecessary then I would not have done it. But that wasn’t his message. He said do it. It’s not worth the risk. Go ask him yourself about it. This was his recommendation. I just didn’t want some big surprise hitting me down the road after I put more miles on the car. Now, will I do a major service every 5 years? Probably not. Will do probably every 7 years. I don’t think it needs to be done that frequent under light driving and or use. But we will see. I’m not worried about spending a little money on my precious car. I never skimp on vehicle maintenance. My tires are not 7 years old, the battery is not 8 years old, etc, etc. I like everything to be in perfect condition and want zero risk of the car giving me any problems. I actually hate how most collectors maintain their cars. Mostly very poorly. Because they try to save money above anything else. I’m happy knowing everything is done and current. Lastly, I never concern myself with how others spend their money. It’s not my business and quite frankly don’t care. You do what you want with your money and I do what I want with mine. It’s not your concern. I won’t have a deferred maintenance pos in my garage.

9. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Your advice comes from a real life Tech that does it for a living. If he told you not to change it and it failed then its huge damage to his rep. I hope you understand what I am saying. Btw, I have met you and seen your car. It is a 10.

10. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    The belt replacement interval debate will go on forever. It just boils down to your comfort level. The diff carrier is a different story - if you drive the cars the way they were intended to be driven and not babied - you have a good chance of a failure. Maybe you will be lucky, maybe not. I wasn't. Mine failed with about 45K miles in 2001. The gearbox required a rebuild to the tune of $28K (with clutch and a few other things done at the same time). I can't imagine what it would cost now. I have heard of a number of failures and a number of close calls where inspection revealed cracking at the welds of the diff carrier. A replacement is cheap insurance.

On the other hand, I can't remember hearing any of the flat 12 owners complaining about a belt failure. I've had 5 major services over the 21 years I've had my 512TR. 2 of those weren't really necessary but with the engine out anyway it was easy and gave me piece of mind. With the last major this year I also had a valve job. The engine is running like new now - with 118K miles. Hoping for another 118K at least.

Drive your car and enjoy it, Zeff! It sounds like you'll have many great miles with it.
    Cheers,
    Will

turbo-joe, V4NG0, Zeff and 2 others like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Most beautiful Ferrari with the 355;) (to me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U have a stunning Argento TR bought well and very well maintained! I think u are doing the wise choice and are the perfect caretaker for it! I loved it when I saw it when Juan had it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeff likes this.
  13. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #38 Zeff, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    Good Day Will,
    That was a painful and expensive lesson. Obviously that’s what I’m trying to avoid as I drive the car more and more. Every mile I put on the car would probably put me closer to some sort of a failure from what I understand. Your story further illustrates the need. I am not a fan of wait and see or hope and pray it doesn’t happen. Just be prepared. I like your outlook and the way you care for your car. As you described, your approach seems inline with mine. Thanks Will for your feedback as it is well appreciated. Sounds like you have really enjoyed using your car over the years. I’ll get there in due time on sure. Your car is well taken care of. I’m sure you will get many more miles out of her.
    RR

14. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks Nat for your feedback. Appreciate it!!

15. Willdief

Willdief Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Mercer Island, WA
    Full Name:
    Will Diefenbach
    Awesome, Zeff! You've got a great example of the model. I know that Clay is happy that his old baby is in a great home :). Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Zeff likes this.
  16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    In my experience, most silicon hoses are much softer and deform very easily. A stiff hose seems to make it easier to slip the firewall side over the nipple. The Scuderia Rampante hose is a great compromise - silicon with stiff fabric exterior.

Of course, the engine side is mounted while the engine is out.

MOSS likes this.
  17. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    if you drive the car regularly you can 45k on the belts
    as for the Diff I have 110k on my car and no problems
    and I drive my car about 100 miles a month

Zeff and MOSS like this.
  18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    #43 MOSS, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    A big scare started on this 12 or so months ago and just like this fake virus overkill, fear wins. I really don't care how people spend their
    money but I like to direct newer owners to real life ownership and enjoyment rather than being scared every time they get in their
    car that the diff is going to fall out. A lot of new or going to be new owners that read this. Again, 4 Tr's, one turbo, zero differential issues. I'm ok if Zeff disagrees and Brian suggests doing it. I explained his angle so others will get it I hope. Cheers gentlemen. And one famous ;)

19. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    So you have had this happen to multiple TR's you have owned? I mentioned something about this in another thread and exotic car drivers and such. I don't know how many miles your car had when you acquired but I will assume you did not buy it off the showroom car. 45k miles is not light for a Ferrari TR. If it had previous owners it has had plenty of time to have the bat **** driven out of it outside of your knowledge. Like many full independent suspension non American cars, they are not made for burn offs and that sort of driving and yet I have watched it being done and cringed every time. It does not have high impact ring gear and pinion like say a ford 9 inch. You will shell it if you drive them harshly. The car is a cruiser that has no problem being driven with big spirit. Don't have to baby it either. Abuse is 90% of the reasons these things fail. Does it have a known weak point in the weld, yes. All lighter duty differentials are fairly weak and have weak areas. If I can get James and Micheal to build another updated TT TR I will get the Newman or the other carrier for sure and additional shafts while it is torn apart getting upgraded Austria gears and trans components. If you have a car that has not been roughly treated then my suggestion is don't worry about it. Zeff says replace it. Merely a difference of opinion from different levels of experience and mechanical background as well. Turbo Joe says do it and he is a turbo guy too. What is bad advice here? There is none. Sky is the limit on what you want to replace to make you feel warm and fuzzy. The way I have seen some people drive these cars it probably needs a Ford 9 inch. Now, If I am buying, then Zeff has the car for sure but I bet that car will carry a huge well deserved price tag if he ever sells. Oh, again..;)

20. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    ok here is a picture of my 512 TR odometer its a 1993 model purchased in 1996
    I bought it with 10 k on it
    the rest is mine
    I do all the majors myself
    bottom line as far as I am concerned with regards
    to belts and diffs is that if you drive that car it will not fail
    if you want to say I am lucky fine
    but I also own a 2003 575 that I bought with 26k last may and its about to turn 50k by the end of this year
    Ferraris are like airplanes
    if you use them they will be ok

Attached Files:

dkyranakis and Willdief like this.
  21. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Being a helicopter owner and pilot I can appreciate the comparison. Completely agree!

Clyde Romero likes this.
  22. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Flew helicopters in Vietnam my story below
    http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/snakes-loaches-180964341/
    Which helicopter do you own?
    Always said if I hit the lottery I would buy a Blackhawk Or a Hughes 500
    Miss flying them immensely
    I have around 3000 hours in them
    You are so lucky
    If guys would drive the cars they would have less issues, everything works on my car no squawks
    But the majority of owners buy the car to say they own it
    I once went to a local car show and added up all the miles on the Ferrari’s there
    I still had more miles on my car and that was ages ago
    What year 512 or TR do you own?
    My only complaint with the 512 TR is the A/C
    I left mine stock R-12 and if the humidity is above 80% it freezes up after about 90 minutes on the road

VColin likes this.
  23. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I own a 206 Bell Jet Ranger. Looking at a 407 though. You dont meet any Heli pilots ever! That is cool. Did you fly a Huey?

24. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
  25. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    Yes
    Every helicopter pilot during the Vietnam era flew the Huey also known as the 204/205pit was your advanced trainer
    Got shot down twice in a Huey
    Several times in the OH -6 as a scout
    Flew your 206 known as the OH -58A
    do you use yours for pleasure ? Or work?
    Give me a call
    Would love to talk 678 6419932
    Helicopters
    Have one guy here local who flew the -58 a lot and is a Ferrari owner here in the Atlanta area

MOSS likes this.