Standard Motorcycle | FerrariChat

Standard Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by Texas Forever, Aug 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    What are the options for a “standard motorcycle?” No city driving. No Interstate. No biker rallies. No crouch rockets that require a visit to a chiropractor. Just fun back roads. Cruising around with no particular place to go. All I can think of is a new classic Triumph or BMW. Although I’m aware Kawasaki has a new 900.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ducati scrambler

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

TexasF355F1, jag-oo-r, VAF84 and 2 others like this.
  3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I just picked up 3 for just cruising.
    Mine is harley fat boy 114 , I like it , have done 3 rides so far very easy, pleasurable, a looker, not too big, not small where you'll feel everything. Don't need the 114, the base 107 would be fine.
    For son I got a started bike, Honda rebel 500. For his frame he fits perfectly, 500cc can keep up, but not for long term.
    Last minute impulse purchase was pre-owned harley fat bob 114 , 800 miles got for 4k discount. I may ride this occasionally is different look and ride than fat boy , or son could use in a year or so after he gets his lic.
    I would have considered triumph or Indian but no dealers near me.
    Had ducati diavel a few years ago , also nice, but buzzy/ringy
    Yama, kawi, honda also have nice models for cruising and less than harleys but I played to the name, you may not care.
    Happy hunting.

Texas Forever and SAFE4NOW like this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

I was in the same boat a few months ago, I ended up with a 2020 Ducati Diavel 1260S

I find that I can ride 4-5 hours comfortably. Has all the Technology one would want, close to perfect riding position , and looks different then all the others out there.

fossilfuel, Alcav5 and Texas Forever like this.
  5. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Perfect timing. I'm in the market.
    The new 900 Kawasaki retro looks great.

The best standard I've ever ridden was a BMW R1250R. Rode much lighter than it is.
    For me though, I've always wanted a Triumph and never had one. I'm going to looking for a Bonnie that's a couple of years old.

SAFE4NOW and Texas Forever like this.
  6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, I'd like something close to a standard rake and trail. It's what I grew up on.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  8. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    OK, we need a little more info. Like~

1. What is your previous motorcycle experience? (Be honest, here.)
    2. What do you want this motorcycle to be for? Is it replacing another bike?
    3. What is your budget?
    4. Do you plan on doing any dirt riding with it?
    5. Ht/Wt/age
    6. Are you getting this motorcycle for you, OR are you wanting to "show off" to your friends that you've got "garage jewelry?"
    7. Have you ALL the gear that you know you need?
    8. Do you have a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license?
    9. When was the last time you took a professional motorcycle safety course?

There, this should get you thinking, at least.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The new Triumphs are great. The old Triumphs look fantastic. The brits never understood what they had. But, they also never figured out how to split a crankshaft. Talk about a proctology exam.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  10. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I think the old carbs, Amal IIRC, that you tickled until they pee'd gas on stuff were thrilling. It's amazing any of us lived through it.

NYC Fred and Texas Forever like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    1. I start riding motorcycles, Honda 90, when I was 14. I'm 68 now.

2. Strictly back roads.

3. I've been known to spend stupid money. After all, I've owned Ferraris.

4. The adventure bike thing sounds appealing, but I'm old.

5. Too old, too fat.

6. Just me, baby

7. Gear? I've got a helmet (full face). I've always wanted a Langlitz jacket. Never got around to one.

8. Yup

9. Never have. After my time

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    No ****. I used to have '70 Bonnie. If you took a curve a tad too fast, it would start doing the hula. Just kinda a slow flex. Just enough to let you know, old chap, you might be going a little too fast.

Plus, the front brake was a fashion accessory.

But damn, I had a lot of fun as a young un.

13. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't know what it was about bikes from back in the day but so many had horrible habits like the head shake. Floppy forks or frames were the cause?

I wasn't familiar with the z900. Kawasaki did a nice job with that. The CB1000's from a few years ago are nice with a retro flair too.

For me, the final answer is still a Bonnieville variant. Great look but now has brakes and a non-clunky gearbox. I also think a twin is just easier. The BMW naked bikes are great but feel pretty hi tech which doesn't sound like it fits what you're looking for.

I'm moving to Asheville and selling my Vespa 300 because the hills are too steep and the ABS brakes on that are too wooden. Ij just want something I can ride a couple of miles into town and back.

Texas Forever likes this.
  14. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Get Keanu to build a bike-Arch motorcycle
    Todd Eagan at GTM Custom-Moto Guzzi based.
    Maybe go electric with a Zero

15. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    Surprised I forgot. Check out Revival Cycles in Austin. They used to have some bikes up for sale on their site but I don't see a classified section. Not going to Handbuilt this year since GP was cancelled.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  18. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Texas,
    Your posts seem as though you want to go old school in the worst way . :)

However from what I thought I read you are looking for an easy cruiser for occasional rides.

I would like to share my take on riding at my age now (58). Situation is I can only ride in my spare time and I really want it to be easy & enjoyable, no daily , no traffic, no highways, just back roads , vista cruising.
    As a young kid I started w/ Honda 50 , went up through dirt bikes, then got married and stopped but the standards were what I thought were normal.
    Maybe 10 years ago , when I was able to afford to ride again. I started w/ a Kawi endoro (thought I was going to do some dirt riding too - not) , then to a Multistrada . Then looking for a cooler , quicker tour-er I picked up a Daivel , super fun bike .
    Never thought of getting a Harley , just wasn't my cup of tea , it didn't even look fun & not sure I wanted the affiliation. But I was convinced to try one with the forward pegs and after a ride or 2 I was sold, super comfy .
    Bought a Fat Bob and really enjoyed it , it was a cool combo of style and muscle with forward pegs , seat was super comfy . At the same time a buddy on a Heritage said I need to use foot rests. Thought no way , it'll ruin the "coolness" look , I wasn't ready to be on an "old man's" bike.
    But as things go and being without those bikes for the past 3 years , I recently picked up a Fat Boy with foot rests. Omg , I have ridden maybe 6 times in and around my place in RI and I can't imagine riding without them anymore. Just cruising down a long stretch of back road , feet on the rests is like sitting on the couch and watching a movie as the vista goes by. Def. call me lazy , I like it...
    Unfortunately Harley's are more money than some alts and I really don't know about issues but I don't think any maker has an equivalent all around . :cool:

Best ,
    Al

19. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Ducati Monster is a nice bike for that.

I own a Triumph Tiger 800, and it is fantastic. Triumph's modern motors are just the best-- so smooth-- and the Tiger has a very comfortable upright seating position. Mine is an XC, so more off-road/adventure focused, but they also make an XR (I see that they now call them the "GT" or "Rally" models) which would be perfect for what you want to do.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  22. BoulderFCar