Allen S. Bishop | FerrariChat

Allen S. Bishop

Discussion in 'Who's Who in Ferrari Universe' started by El Wayne, Aug 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Ferrari mechanic/restorer/expert Allen Bishop has passed away. If ever a Ferrari wizard there was, well, that was Allen. And in addition to working his mechanical wizardry, Allen shared his expertise with the rest of us by authoring Ferrari Guide to Performance, volunteering to act as judge at Pebble Beach and other concours events, and always being available to answer questions and tell stories.

For those of you who knew him, please feel free to share your Allen stories and experiences in this thread.

2. drew365

drew365 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    The Valley, L.A.
    Full Name:
    Andy Ritter
    I neglected to call Allen for far too long, probably close to a year. I went to his Facebook page yesterday to wish him a happy birthday and learned the sad news. Definitely a wake up call for me. We need to make time for our friends while we can. Allen did a lot of work on my car over the years including rebuilding the engine and trans. I used to help him now and then when he needed help working of his customers cars. A lot of nice iron and aluminum parked on his driveway. We had a lot of opposing opinions on world events but never had a problem spending the day discussing all topics. I wish I had made some time for him this past year but I have a lot of fond memories of time we spent together. Like the day he got so mad at a Greg Garrison car, and threw his wrench on the roof of his garage. Cracked me up. Then to see the car sitting on the lawn at Pebble Beach a few weeks later, offered quite a contrast. That was Allen's world. Working on just another car that needed a difficult repair, then seeing it rolled out as a piece of art a short time later. He had a pretty good gig. I hope he enjoyed it till the end. R.I.P.

3. PFSEX

PFSEX Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    John Ratto
    Just a really nice guy. He'll be missed.

4. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Remembering my Friend and mentor the late Alan Bishop on this Car Week. He was a a Judge at Pebble Beach for many years and gave his knowledge and expertise to those who asked in the world of Ferrari. He was a good friend and a trove of information and i enjoyed conversations about Ferraris tremendously. Moderators please merge this with any other treads about Alan if they exist. See you all next year at Car Week.

Red Rocket likes this.
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    very nice guy to talk with. did anyone take over his shop?
    RIP

V12addict likes this.
  6. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
  7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Sure look like Alan. That might be Diane Bloomer he is dancing with and Larry Bloomer in the Santa suit.

8. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Thank you Jeff, i was hoping another member would recognize Alan in this picture. Must have been the Marina Yacht Club where FOC would hold their Christmas party for some time. God Bless

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I was at a couple of those. I recognize a couple of the faces in the other photos but can only remember the name for Lyle Tanner - top right photo, not looking at the camera. Middle picture may be an interior designer and his wife, lived in the flats of Beverly Hills, did a lot of his work for Larry Gosh's building projects.

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Would that interior designer have been Jon Monet and his wife was Suzie. They had a Daytona I think.

V12addict likes this.
  11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yes, thanks for jogging my memory.

12. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    You are all correct. I smiled thinking of Jon Monet.. He was trying to build his interior design biz by waaay over extending himself to live in BH (just inside the boundaries) and hanging with the F-crowd. They were so broke that you were lucky to get appetizers if they invited you to dinner. Some days I wasn't a whole lot better off, but at least you knew you would get fed properly, thanks to Phoebe's kitchen skills. Them wuz da days!

Top pic, on the right apppears to be Erich Laitch; bottom depicts Pat and Bruce Sand. We are still in touch with Erich and Pat.

Didn't Bishop spell it Allen?

V12addict likes this.
  13. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    My last encounter with Allen was on the upper balcony in the lobby of Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, right after one of L.A. Operas “Salome” performances in the spring of 2017. We didn’t talk shop, but briefly exchanged our (different) opinions/views about the performance & production we had just seen.
    While we had exchanged invitations to each other shops, neither of us unfortunately never managed to do it.

V12addict likes this.
  14. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Although Ferrari-less now, Erich is a great friend, still at Tahoe! Lots of airplanes to replace the Ferrari's tho......I've copied him on the pix!

15. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
  16. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I remember when Erich was the club president and gave a speech about start time for an event - real time, not Ferrari time. It had gotten real bad with the group on starting times. A 10:00 am start had devolved into 10:30 m, or so, people were still just arriving.

V12addict likes this.
  17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Top right - Ken and Rosie Starbird. Ken had a Comp Daytona that he used as a daily driver with open exhausts. Rosie had a 206 Dino. Ed can do the stories on Ken's prior 330P and 250LM.

Lower left - Dan Ward on the left. Woman, can't remember her name but she was with Alessandro Pedani. Alesandro had lived in the US for a loong time but still used he Italian accent to do "how you say in English".

Lower right - Diane and Mark Bloomer. Woman, don't know her name and David Christian.

18. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    #18 Lowell, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    How much of her clothes did Salome remove?

Years ago I took my son who was a senior at high school to a performance of Salome at the Seattle opera house. I could not afford really expensive tickets, and so we sat in the upper balcony, and the stage was far away. As far as I could tell, Salome removed every bit of her clothing.

I asked my son about what he thought about this opera. He said that there was a parallel between Salome/Rosenkavalier and Tristan/Mistersinger because the earlier operas were had music that was more modern in structure that the later ones. About nine years later he got a PhD in music theory from Yale.

TTR and John Vardanian like this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, it wasn’t Karita Mattilas Met. performance, but IIRC, reasonably revealing and seductive.
    Allen didn’t seem to think very highly of it.

20. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    Well, the Santa Fe opera of a few years ago had Ms Salome remove nothing, but rather just retire to a different room.
    I do not understand the logic here. How could you have someone's head chopped off if the reason wasn't that he did not appreciate your dance.

21. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    For those of you like me who did not know about Mattila's Met. performance, you can read all about it here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/25/arts/music/25salo.html

22. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Sorry to hear/read of your disappointment, but like all vintage car restorations, every production of performing arts, whether for stage and screen, always takes its own "artistic” direction or licenses, some more than others.
    Perhaps in your case, the antagonistic young lady had already deemed her stepfather as a captivated enough without a need to resort further enticements and knew the object of her own desires would be delivered even without need to get naked ...
    ... but I hear you, since obviously it can be a bit anti-climatic if the audience feels their expectations weren't really met.

My own worse disappointment of such was for L.A. Operas “Parsifal“ maybe 15 or so years ago, when they somehow had managed to "trim" about an hour or so off of the performance and with small club venue rock concerts notwithstanding, it was the only time I've ever attended a live performance where audience (including me) was booing, instead applauding, at end.

23. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    I’ve never owned an F-car, nor did I know Allen, but had a thirty year long run pursing my Italian-car passion and appreciation via Alfa Romeo, with two long-term owned GTV’s plus a Spider and a GTV6. Before the www existed and we had to search harder for reading and tech educational materials (i.e., books) I bought Allen’s “Ferrari Guide to Performance” and soaked-up every last detail because I knew it would somehow make me a little better. It’s still on my bookshelf, along with Rasmussen, Ludvigsen, Nowak, Borgenson and my other heroes.

John

turbo-joe likes this.
  24. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Mine is too grubby to ever try to sell - primarily the synchronization of the carbs section, starting on p.81 . . .

25. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Allen had a GTV as his daily driver around 1977.