Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa | Page 40 | FerrariChat

Lost all gear oil today, 1991 Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by PA32Pilot, May 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great job sir, and if I may say you are a man of character. We can all see that. Although none of us would wish mechanical misfortune, I do think you're a person that appreciates fixing things and having the satisfaction of knowing you sorted this yourself.

Kudos to you, and enjoy the deeper fulfillment of not only owning a beautiful car, but also being the master of it on road and off.

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    on road and off road? then you need other tires and other suspension to go off road ;)

paulchua and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  3. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Trail rated baby...and wouldn't be the first time!
    :0

Supernaut, Jakuzzi, enzo52 and 3 others like this.
  4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Jamie Hi I PM’d you as well for the spreadsheet thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That 1.55mm shim is the size I need! Still have it? Sent you a PM

6. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I know the car is fixed but others might read the thread later so I thought I would post some extra info as I also share Dominicks opinion/doubts on the preload subject.

I’m installing my new diff in the boxer and have been chewing on this because my new diff is larger and requires new shims.

After removing the crown on my old diff I put it back in with the case on its side and measured the gap on the RH cover, this was .070-.072” and having a .051” shim amounts to a .020” preload.
    I did the same with the new diff and the gap is .080-.081” (.010” larger diff) so in order to maintain the same preload I need a .061” shim.
    To test this I did what Versamill suggested and cut a paper shim from .0095 thick paper, due to lack of the original tool for a more precise measurement I tried both newmans “turn tight without squinting” and Turbo-Joe string around the carrier methods, Result: the carrier was barely movable by my hand on the output flange and using a string 7Kg where needed to spin it (helping it start of course), I also measured 5Nm to maintain spin with a small torque meter on the flange nut.
    I increased gap RH until I got 2.5kg to spin, for this I had to increase an additional .017”, at this point turning the diff by hand could be done with my fingers on the flange and required torque on the flange bolt was 1Nm, it just feels too loose and no wonder as it is only a .003-.004” preload on a wide aluminum case, for comparison a Dana 44 spec is .015” on a robust iron case/axle housing.

Perhaps the 4:1 gear reduction plays a role to get the 3.6 to 4.0 kg the manual states? My 7kg divided by 4 (gear ratio) is 1.75kg plus 1.8-2kg for the pinion bearing preload. Coincidence?
    Too little preload can cause the pinion to ride on the edge of the crown and fail, I wonder how much of those 7kg are left after the case heats up to operating temp. I wish I had made the string test on my old diff before I removed the bearings , this would have given us an additional benchmark.
    Undecided still but I’m leaning towards adding the .010” to maintain previous gap and preload or at leas close to that.

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    So sad to see Shamile no longer posting on Fchat

Veedub00 and vincenzo like this.
  8. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Jamie Hi, did you ever posted the differential spreadsheet? I am thinking about changing my differential on the next major just for the peace of mind, thanks

9. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    I believe so, let me look for it

ferralc likes this.
  10. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Heck of an add. What is that number these days....10,000

11. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you coming close to

12. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Thanks!!!!

13. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Jamie Hi please don’t forget about me, thank you !!!