Alternator / Charge Light | FerrariChat

Alternator / Charge Light

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2dinos, Aug 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Sorry if already discussed. This is concerning Marelli alternator "B" Type regulator setups with the charge light triggered from one leg of the alternator diodes.

Observations:
    The 246 WSM shows a relay for a charge light (But no light in the wiring diagram - oops! I think?) with what otherwise seems to be the identical layout as the Ferrari 330 WSM.

330 WSM shows gauge AND light.

246 Owners Manual wiring diagram shows no light and no relay, but an amp gauge.

67 Dino - Fiat WSM is the same Marelli layout as the 330 WSM without amp gauge.

Questions:
    Do your cars have a light for the alternator (In addition to or possibly instead of amp gauge)?
    Anyone notice the 246 WSM missing the charge light in the circuit?

Just curious. 246 I'm working on has amp gage, but no light. This layout is perhaps most common and any variances might be one of those charming idiosyncrasies. Thanks!

2. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If i recall correctly the charge light indicator came with late E series, my Sept 73 model E series doesnt have one.
    The WSM wiring diagram has lots of omissions but with so many variations i dont think they could catalogue every one
    Tony

2dinos likes this.
  3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    My M-series alternator (or should I say AMPERE) gauge has no charge light

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agreed, try finding the Alternator fuse box or the orientation of the engine mounts .

Perhaps we should start and addendum thread to capture Dino document corrections/ommissions?

2dinos likes this.