Earthquake Insurance: Anyone have, getting, or thinking of getting some? | FerrariChat

Earthquake Insurance: Anyone have, getting, or thinking of getting some?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by DrStranglove, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    After the 3 we have had in the past 10 years and with a pool my size built on the side of a hill, anyone thinking or have this?

2. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    I thought about it several years ago since I live on the top of a Ridgeline off Cold Mnt but never did anything

3. Redlambo

Redlambo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2004
    Pendergrass GA
    Full Name:
    Vic Woloschinow
  4. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    I had a house at Lake Lure and checked on earthquake insurance. It was available but it was almost twice the cost of a policy without it.

5. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    I agree with this but here is the thought: we've had 3 I've felt in ten years which is 3 more than in the past 50! I wonder if that is prelude to something big about to detach under the Apps. And again, a LARGE pool hanging over a hill.

6. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Can we see the pool?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
  8. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I am contemplating the same thing for a house we are buying in the Seattle area. It doubles the cost but seems reasonable at about $1,200 a year. Likely will go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
  10. steven t evans

Jul 24, 2020
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Evans
  11. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    No, just me and the kids these days. :)

12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    It depends on a couple of things at least in CA: 1. If you have a purchase money loan and only put say 10% down your lender is taking the 90% of the risk as you can walk from the deal and just lose your down payment and any additional equity paid in since purchase. If you refinanced you are fully at risk 2. The older the home the larger your risk as CA has updated earthquake building requirements a few times in the last 20 years. So if the home is over 50 years there were few if any earthquake building regulations so your risk is higher. 3. If your home is built on “fill soil” or alluvial soil your risk for liquefaction is substantial in a significant earthquake. 4. The more you have in equity the more you have at risk. 5. If an earthquake occurs it may damage hundreds or thousands of homes and the costs to rebuild will be at a premium to usual construction costs, so additional living expenses may be for 2 or more years which will also be out of pocket as there will not be enough contractors and acquiring permits are more and more problematic now.

Earthquake premiums are not cheep similar to the premiums and deductibles to “named storm” coverage in the hurricane areas. So after those considerations your decision is, do I want to take a known loss = annual premium + deductible vs. an unknown loss total loss of structure and some of the contents. There you are my my thoughts for what they are worth?

13. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    Thinking out loud here...

Would the water in the pool act as some sort of dampener to absorb some of the shock? ie is it better full, or empty?

I'm not a Seismologist, nor do I play one on TV.

14. DrStranglove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    The water would if you were a boat floating on top. But remember, it would go through the foundation fist!

Alpintourer likes this.