Performante spyder vs 458 spider | FerrariChat

Performante spyder vs 458 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dr. K, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hey everyone, I’m currently in the market for my first exotic, and as of now have narrowed it down to a 458 spider or a performante/evo spyder. I would prefer a NA exotic which is why I am ruling out the 488/f8 and mclarens. I am upgrading from a 2013 SRT viper. Since most of the people here has owned multiple cars, I would appreciate if you could give me feedback on the ownership experience of either one, for instance visibility(in the viper I had very limited visibility), visceral experience, road presence, comfort, etc.For instance, what you enjoyed and what you did not like.I’ve researched for the performante, comfort seats are a must as well as it is a very small exotic; whereas the 458 tends to have a lot of cowl shake. Thank you in advance

2. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Have you driven them? You may want to start there and make the decision for yourself (It is like asking for peoples opinion on if you should have chocolate or vanilla ice cream. Everyone will have their own opinion but the only one that matters is yours). The 458 will feel slow compared to the perormante or evo. Two entirely different cars. The 458 is a timeless classic but you can't go wrong if you want a Huracan. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

3. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Where to start, you are talking 2 different generations of car.

You can read on here the glowing love for 458's and I would be in that group but the Performante is 7 years younger and track focused built. I have not driven or ridden in a Performante so this is all point of view but I don't hear a lot of love for it, what you hear is kinda Mclaren talk like, fast, much better than a standard huracan, great car but I would get this before that, but not the poster boy top performer stuff long term keeper talk.

One will speak to you more and when it does no one else's opinion will matter and you will smile every time you see it in the garage.

On the 458 spider the passenger blind spot is unnerving to me, not that it is huge but a lot of gawkers sit there when your cruising along and your not paying close attention it can catch you out when you want to change lanes.

Cowell shake is there and bumpy roads make the rearview mirror a blur to look at but with all the pluses I really don't think about it much, I did at first but then I put my foot down and scream till 9000rpm the sound oh the sound and and stop me stop me fan boy alert fan boy alert...... dam I love this car

Good hunting both are great cars

xfrgtr and tekaefixe like this.
  4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Not a lambo guy but I have nothing bad to say about the Perfomante.

I prefer the 458S but I’ve driven one and they’re fun, so it’s really about your preference rather than anything we might think.

The only thing I would note if you decide to go lambo, is that my and most Audi dealers will discount R8 coupes and spyders about 15% right now, so you can get a brand new performance spyder in the low 170s, as opposed to paying more for a used base huracan spyder because of a badge. If it were me I’d pick up one of those, slap an exhaust on it and enjoy it.

5. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    how tall are you?

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You need to drive them. They are available as rentals. Get each for a weekend.

We cannot tell You what works for you, so you need to start there.

That being said, this is my experience. Unless you're 170cm or less, the seating position in the Lambo is abysmal. There is absolutely no room in that cockpit.
    Add to that the seats which can be described as hard and uncomfortable at best.

As for the driving experience itself.
    It's okay. Not great but not bad. The car does not feel as nimble and agile as kne could hope.

Also these are very different cars from a demographic standpoint. It is worth considering the image each car portrays.
    Will be honest and say that this has a lot to do with why I don't like to be seen in public in a modern era Lambo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F2003-GA likes this.
  7. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    As mentioned above, don’t overlook ergonomics.....looks and performance aside, at the end of the day you still need to be comfortable driving the car. I’m just under 6’ and have the 458S which fits great, but I don’t fit in a Lamborghini.

8. Dr. K

Dr. K Rookie

Jul 28, 2019
    Boston MA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thank you so much for the replies. I am 5’11. I understand test driving is by far the best solution but I also wanted to get others opinions/ pieces of advice as well. More information is always welcome and appreciated!

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have owned the Performante and have driven the 458 including on a track. The Performante is its superior on every objective metric- faster, superior handling and grip, faster DCT, and undoubtedly the most significant is chassis rigidity. The 458 spider is subject to noticeable cowl shake and flexing. while the Performante spyder is as rigid and tight as the coupe. The engine note of the 458 is satisfying but not comparable to V10. The driving dynamics of the Performante are more compelling and engaging. My preference is unequivocally the Performante. Had little interest in purchasing the 458 but I bought the Performante. Drive them both. Your decision will become clear.

Thecadster, Shark01, Alexcle and 3 others like this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    5'11" forget it. That will not be a comfortable experience.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

wthensler and Dr. K like this.
  11. Drewcati

Drewcati Rookie

Jul 9, 2014
    Texas
    This is spot on. I already own a 458 spider and have been shopping for a HP coupe or spyder. I was able to ride in a HP-S and it crushed the 458 in the areas mentioned above.

The only reason I did not go through with the trade is that I would’ve lost more money on the trade than I was comfortable with.

SO, I’ve decided to keep my 458 and save to ADD the HP to my garage.

My 458 is my first super car, always wanted to own a Ferrari, have enjoyed my experience, and love the car for a multitude of reasons. But the HP is better in almost every way with the only subjective category being aesthetics.

Vote: HP

Shark01 and Coincid like this.
  12. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    5'11" there is no way you can wear a helmet and track the car in the coupe.

Maybe some of the owners can correct me if I'm wrong but when I talk to other owners at meet up's they pretty much say it sucks with a helmet for track day's if you're taller. Spyder with the top off would work but then you don't look cool with half your egg sticking out the top =)

13. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    thanks for writing this, saved me the effort :) The only downside of the Performante is the horrible sparco seats/ racing seats. I am sure you can get pads etc but OMG do those seats hate humans.

Coincid likes this.
  14. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    If you are buying a Performante Spyder and are over 5'10" you will be very uncomfortable in the car. I ordered a beautiful one, had it 6 months and sold it because I always felt squeezed in the car (fore and aft). They are gorgeous and fast and sound beautiful but at the end of the day if you are uncomfortable in the car (and again you will be if you are over 5'10") then you will dump it.

09Scuderia likes this.
  15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The Spyder is even more crowded as there is 2" of fore and aft space removed to allow for the top to fold behind you.

16. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah I am 6'3 no way I could even get into the new generation of performante spyders.. my old school gallardo yes.. new ones no.

17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I am 6'3", my sight is directly at the edge of the windshield, unless I slouch down. I love HP spider except for the quasi automatic exhaust pops.

18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Another +1, spot on. I owned both and still have a 458 spider.

A few things to add...horrible seats in Lamborghini esp tall drivers, even in the Spyder. While the v10 sounds insane, it is a bit synthetic in notes whereas the 458 has more variability and honesty of sound. Both are epic though. The Lambo is rock solid, never a concern with engine lights or getting stranded. Not so much the 458.
    You cannot go wrong on this choice. I really love both and miss the Perf Spyder a lot. Eagerly awaiting the Evo “perf’.

IloveGT, Boomhauer and Dr. K like this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Nothing looks more silly than when your dome sticks out. Full on clown car at that stage.

tekaefixe and sampelligrino like this.
  20. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #20 Ash Patel, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    I know this is F-forum but to me it's not even close between a HP and a standard 458 spider. The HP feels, goes and looks a lot more special to me. It's one of the fastest if not the fastest (and loudest) NA engine street cars I've ever driven.

And here in Sweden the pricing is also way off to compare these two (HP a lot more expensive)

Shark01, Coincid, Boomhauer and 3 others like this.
  21. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Headroom: 458. Lambo v10 spiders wont fit anyone close to 6' with a helmet on track days
    Visibility: 458. Lambo u feel like u are very far away from the dash and glass,caved in. Although this is prob less of an issue on a spider
    Power and torque: lambo has more torque, so standing start feels a lot stronger. The 458 revs higher and only starts to punch halfway up the rev.
    shifting: lambo. just shifts way faster and smoother. 458 gear box is fast, but it's 10 years old not as fast and seamless as the current VW group gearbox
    traction: lambo, never breaks loose. 458 is more playful and agile
    sound: subjective. Both have very distinctive sounds. The v10 can be a bit artificial with all that predictable burble.
    Value retention: 458. Lambos will continue to depreciate (just look at EVOs)
    Comfort: 458. Performante bucket seats are horrible and difficult to get in and out vs the 458. Regular evo seats are acceptable but not as pretty to look at vs the 458 buckets
    Interior quality: 458. Lambo is just endless plastics and alcantara (which isnt a very premium material anyways). Digital gauge feels very video gamey, 458 easily better on the eyes and feel

Dr. K and dustman like this.
  22. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    I have a Perf coupe and hands down it's the best driving Lamborghini ever produced. You can't go wrong with the Performante.

Gh21631, Thecadster, Coincid and 3 others like this.
  23. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Echoing my thoughts after owning 458 spider and 2 Huracans. Really need to drive both but HP Spyder has more presence and is more special IMO. It drives like one generation newer. Huracan is more reliable has bluetooth audio that works flawlessly, doesnt require daily battery tender, is still exciting to daily drive after 1.5 years and gets far more positive attention lots of thumbs up and waves especially kids.

Im 5'10" and when I autocrossed I had to lean a little forward due to helmet rub in the coupe.

24. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Maybe the best of the Audi generation of cars

Ash Patel and IloveGT like this.
  25. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Huracan evo spyder is an amazing car. Sound, tech, everything is very good. Get the one with sports seat option, much better than the racing seat and more headroom than the comfort seat.