348 front engine chain cover | FerrariChat

348 front engine chain cover

Discussion in '348/355' started by John Glen, Aug 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Just a quick question for the brotherhood. How do I release the chain guide under the lower front engine cover to enable removing the cover ? Thanks in advance, JGW 1990 348 ts

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is a 5 part services that goes very deep done by Phil out here (pnicholasen)

3. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    The cover is not actually that difficult to get off, I never had to use any of that shenanigans going on in that video to remove mine. I literally slid it off by hand after using a couple of Plastic/Nylon wedges to pries the cover and inch it forward incrementally but gently tapping it with the nylon hammer, you can feel it starts moving quite easily when the load is square on. What is happening at this point is that bearing in the block on the timing shaft, is coming out of its recess during this part of the operation.

When you go to remove the cover, you need to have undone the oil pump chain drive sprocket, as when you pull the cover off, the timing sprocket will come with the cover as that bearing slides out pretty easily from the block, so both chains and sprockets come off all together as per my picture below.
    The timing chain tensioner pops out but thats okay, you need to pull it apart anyway to replace the pad on the tensioner.

When you reassemble it, you put everything on the engine and slide the cover over and use a tube socket to tap the cover and the timing shaft into the inner timing drive bearing which you have already fitted to the block...the new tensioner will not be released until everything is on, you just turn the plastic screw to release it.
    You would have already released the timing chain tensioner before sliding the cover on.

You can see here how it comes off, you can see to the left, or the bottom of the cover the oil pump chain tensioner, and then separate to the cover up the top right, I have the timing chain tensioner sitting on the bench in bits.....

Hope it all makes sense...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Thanks guys, got the cover off fine. What do you know there is a roller bearing on the back side of the cam drive sprocket/shaft. This bulletin was obviously never complied with on this early 348. Good to go through everything thoroughly on this major inspection, JGW

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Mine was roller also. It's not like Ferrari was contacting customers to bring them in for warranty work. Most customers never knew there was an issue and dealers were anxious to tell people. I bet 80% of the pre TSB cars still have rollers.
    Update the oil chain tensioner pads while in there there is a 360 update for them.

6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    WOW!! Dodged one!!! TSB 10-34. Change that bearing.

Mine was the dodgy one too.

sjd

7. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    The 360 update only covers the Oil Pump chain tensioner, not the timing chain tensioner...
    You have to get the timing tensioner pad from Scuderia Rampante....you have to email them, and they'll whip one up for you. It comes as a kit.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #8 Ferrarium, Aug 5, 2020
  9. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    The 147338 is no longer available as I found out when I did mine a few months ago.
    You have to go to SR Innovations...

10. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  11. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    #11 KevZep, Aug 5, 2020
    Not available, they show them as available but they currently are not, I did try them as they list one, but when you order it they bounce back and its not available, I have been down this road before very recently.
    It says "POA" when you actually put it in your basket.
    SR innovations is the best solution, not the cheapest, but worth the money.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    right , few weeks ago they were available there not POR or POA, but there was a post out here, now they are gone. Harder and harder to find like a few parts are these days. Ohh, there is also a range rover xref for the same part btw. The SRI bit is top shelf and likely a better option anyhow.:)

13. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Inspected all the chain tensioner blocks and are like new. This engine has few miles on it, Guess I'll replace both of the bearings that support the cam drive sprocket. I found a "sharpie" date on the Voith dampener last regreased in "99" ! Trying to catch up on 20 yrs of missed maintenance....... JGW

14. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    I did detect about .020 " play on the end of the cam drive shaft prior to disassembly. I assume it was play at the back end with the old roller bearing and was "rocking" on the front case bearing. I can see how if left unchecked this "radial play" could cause serious havoc with the cam belt system alignment. Thanks to all who have blazed this trail before me and shared their experience. I hope to keep this car on the road for many more years... JGW

15. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Hang on a minute, you think it hasn't been done for 20 years? How many miles has it done in that time? I would be surprised if the timing tensioner pad isn't worn if its done some miles?

16. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    For sure the SRI is totally top shelf, but I like to think our cars are top shelf too, but I have to say, I would like that part number for the Range Rover X-ref,. I'd like to buy one and have a look, see what the quality is like.....

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What REALLY wears them fast is the car sitting with no miles. Cold starts with no oil on on them where it all dripped back down causes the chain to bite in.

18. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Yeah, it really does!!
    I use Lucas synthetic oil additive in my engines, that extra zing of Zinc which most modern oils don't have any more is essential for these older engines...
    It helps with the oil clinging to various essential surfaces when the engine cools down too...

19. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
  20. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Greetings to all once again. Having received the new ball bearing that replaces the original roller bearing I have discovered the old roller bearing inner race must be removed from the sprocket shaft to facilitate new bearing. What is the best procedure to remove the old bearing race that is pressed on the shaft ? Looks difficult to get under..... Thanks, JGW

21. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  22. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Does the bearing race on the sprocket shaft include the ring around the base of the race ? Or is it split at the very small crack between the race and the ring ? Easier if one can pull from under the "ring" as it provides a much better purchase (as long as it is part of the race)

23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  24. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    Thanks Steve, that clears up any confusion. I wasn't sure if the ring was part of the bearing race. The example pictured shows considerable wear on the path the rollers ride on. Mine is not as bad but showing wear. Ball bearing application should be a big improvement !

25. John Glen

John Glen Formula Junior

Dec 30, 2009
    Victoria, B.C, Can.
    Full Name:
    John Glen Wesanko
    My bearing splitter didn't quite fit under the ring. I used a dremel tool to cut a groove on each side so that my bearing splitter had a good "grip" and the old roller inner race came off no problem. Sprocket shaft re-installed is nice and true with no more axial play. Thanks to all ! JGW

Qavion likes this.