Buying another Ferrari to get an SF90S? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Buying another Ferrari to get an SF90S?

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by Dilusha, Aug 7, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Not relevant. They have delivered more 812s in just over two years than the entire F12 production in 4 1/2 years

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ferrari_f12berlinetta_ab_s-a

and

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/ferrari_812_superfast_s-a

382 F12s by Q2 2017 when the last F12s were delivered vs 466 812s by 2020 Q1, and continuing.

Dela likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Forget it. Apparently it is Barry's mission in life to make sure we know we are not special.

You cannot convince people who will not be convinced.

The total estimated number of 812's including the GTS will be between 7000-8000 units. Over a period of 5 years that means 1400-1600 cars on average per year. Some years will see a much higher production than others, but in this comparison with SF90 production, we're dealing with the average. It is roughly 500 per year, but does that mean i could not be 350 and 650? No of course not.
    The whole premise for a 10% UK production as an absolute per year is wrong too. Yes, on average the UK gets 10% of the cars, but it can vary greatly when and how many at once.

1600 cars per year is over a thousand cars, but it is per definition no "in the thousands". That would imply 2000 and up.

I'm done with this I think. We're beating a dead horse and it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    When you start throwing numbers such as those above, it usually helps to have some basis. You make definitive statements of 1000 SF90 coupes, 1000 SF90 spiders and 7000-8000 812s yet provide no basis. If it's just a guess, why not just say so rather than state these as fact?

Dela likes this.
  4. daflk

daflk Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dealer in HK struggling to move SF90 can get it walk in without any options. Values for SF90 will probably be pretty tragic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dela likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Each market is different. Covid hits different areas differently. Like George930 said, here In Europe some have had to pull out of their order, but then they have been snagged up by the next in line. The US seems to be sold out as well.

Thecadster likes this.
  6. Dela

Dela Karting

Aug 8, 2019
    Full Name:
    D
    No surprise, and Good point! In terms of depreciation, I’d like to see what Ferrari has to offer as a replacement for the 488/F8, which is a v6 hybrid?...if the SF90 doesn’t standout significantly, then I’ll agree with your choice of words ... “tragic”.

7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Ah...throwing stats around! That tends to not lead anywhere, usually. The howmanyleft figures certainly show an increase in UK registrations over the F12. But Ferrari have been signalling this for a while. It is also true that last year was an important year to cram as many registrations into Europe as possible because this year there are emissions penalties on every registration - and I suspect they are very large for Ferrari. Hence the starvation of US 812s. There is also the GTS, which splits the demand a bit. So compared to F12, when everything settles down, there will probably be a similar increase in coupe supply as increase in demand. Ferrari (and their distributor and dealer staff) are regularly reviewing all this stuff - with the accurate figures at their disposal, including how many used cars are with the network - and their intention is to always supply ‘one less than demand’. They don’t always get it exactly right but they have given themselves lots of levers to pull as they try to increase production/sales/demand. For example, by adding a convertible, you add an option for both the regular run and the VS. They will be able to drive and manage demand very effectively with this alone. In general, interest in their products has been increasing worldwide and though the UK 10% rule used to hold fast, I guess it has probably changed a bit now. We can’t know unless we know their full production totals, which are a closely guarded secret. As for HK and SF90, given it is a city state with interesting political history, recently much more turbulent, with respect, it has to be considered an outlier in terms of relevance to SF90 in the rest of the world.

What we do know, is that Ferrari are being very cautious with the SF90. They have taken a very long time to develop it, they took a huge risk in launching it way ahead of their intended production date (this will indicate that they were nervous of the reception such an expensive car with new and possibly controversial technology would get with their customers, so they gave their distributors and dealers more time to ensure the cars would sell). If someone suggests that they will find a way to manage the demand/supply relationship so that residuals are protected well enough, that sounds possible, they have the motive without a doubt, and therefore it seems more than plausible, it seems likely.

They have already announced the spider version, the hybrid technology will find its way into the so-called little brother - which will be taking a lot of their development attention because it is a much higher volume product - they have other ways of making money from their development cost and effort in the SF90 beyond the SF90. As a halo product, the brand that gives so much attention to developing ‘la passione’ and enthusiasm for its heritage, racing and reputation, it seems very very unlikely that they will allow their best and most committed customers to have a bad experience with depreciation when there is so much they can do about it. I don’t say this will be a sought after car that appreciated from day 1, but I think it is reasonable to expect a ‘fair’ level of depreciation, given the enormous performance on offer and the purchase price that generates.

One other point that suggests they will have planned cautious numbers - this is the first true hybrid and first hybrid of any type for series production. Given that a key and high-volume product follows hot on its heels, they will want advance understanding of what problems might develop in service. I don’t know if it’s true, but 500 units pa, sold to experienced owners, would be about right to make sure any problems can be dealt with well, before the onslaught arrives with LB.

xBox, uhn2000, sampelligrino and 3 others like this.
  8. redwood

redwood Karting

Apr 30, 2018
    Brisbane and Edinburgh
    Don't understand what the fuss here is about. It's a production car and they'll make as many as they can shift within a certain window. Up here in Scotland, Greypaul is desperate to get their SF90 demonstrator to get more people into this car. And they won't be doing that if they didn't think people can still order them. This sold-out stuff is just pure marketing. Peope get it.

Looks like a blinder of a motor though!

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I think as soon as the car is tested with nearly 1000hp... The car is going to be insane. It hasn't been super well received but when Enzo's are millions I don't see how this isn't a hit

Igor Ound and Thecadster like this.
  10. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    This thing will end up like the 348 of this generation...forgotten

Marcel Massini likes this.
  11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    M'kay...
    One MAJOR difference between this and the 348. This performs, the 348 didn't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    1k horsepower and forgotten?

So why would it be forgotten. I'm not looking to get into an argument. I'd genuinely be interested in your perspective

Thecadster, Il Co-Pilota and Dela like this.
  13. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    It belongs to the past...

I don t think they expect an assault

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Talking about the 488 or 812?

15. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    SF 90 ;), 488 would cause a riot:eek:

16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Uncertain on the 90, but the 488 for sure a runt in the litter. Like a Mc650

17. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I am generally a purist and don’t care for turbocharged automobiles. That being said- this is the future and it is a big leap in performance- especially for the money. I think it looks good- my only reservation is the horizontal lines extending from the headlights. This is an important car and will likely be recognized as such in the future. I love my 458 and F12 (and manual 991.2 GT3). I have placed my deposit. I expect to be laughing last.

Rrr1 likes this.
  18. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    This car will be roughly the same price as the current Aventador (a single clutch, heavy, slow, non track capable vehicle). The negative comments here are astounding. I am extremely excited about acquiring the fastest production Ferrari in history!

In terms of buying one Ferrari to get another, I have only done that for seven years or so. Net net I am very, very pleased with my decisions.

19. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I could not agree more. I mean Pista Pilotis were almost close to $600K. The ugly Senna even more expensive. This is such a path-breaking Ferrari. Let the reviews come in and people start seeing the car on the road. A lot of crow will be eaten....

20. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    If this the most important thing for buying a Ferrari...then...congrats !
    Fortunatly for many here ,Ferrari is not just a simple HP number .
    The fastest...it s just a marketing argument, LF remains the fastest.
    As i said since the beginning, this is just a car for self-centeredness...

21. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    The La Ferrari is not faster than this car as stated by Enrico Galliera at Fiorano during Universo Ferrari where this car was launched.

I would not call it the fastest production car in the history of Ferrari if that was not what Ferrari themselves said.

Actually, the numbers also speak to this. Read the facts on the engine(s), the downforce, the weight. See the comparisons online.

It is mildly entertaining to be called self-centered for buying the newest Ferrari on Ferrari Chat. Thanks for that.

G8TD, Lukeylikey, x z8 and 1 other person like this.
  22. George330

George330 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2009
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    George
    Who cares what he says. Every person has an opinion and some are expressed stronger than others. Buy what makes you happy. I bought the car, I have my doubts as to how much I will enjoy it, but Ferrari has never disappointed me! All the tests so far speak about a car of phenomenal ability, one that is very easy to drive, yet many testers claim that no one needs that much horsepower or speed, that a lighter car like a Pista is more fun etc. While I agree with them, I am also at an age that Ferrari will soon stop caring about! I suspect the younger buyers will love the opportunity to buy Ferrari’s version of the Bugatti Chiron at a third of the price and for Ferrari that is all that matters

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Caeruleus11, x z8 and Lukeylikey like this.
  23. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Nothing personal, it s a general reflection. There is no soul in this car .
    I didn t think such a car interested the enthusiasts here...
    When you re told that LF is slower, it s just because they re all long gone. LF is 350 kg lighter...
    We can be passionate about the brand and remain lucid.

24. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    For what it’s worth looks like Scemolondrin had to buy a Pista before getting an SF90 allocation

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    He doesn’t answer does he? Bet same German dealer has 250gto allocations

Il Co-Pilota likes this.