Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 196 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jaiceman

Jaiceman Rookie

Aug 8, 2020
    #4876 Jaiceman, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2020
    Brother add a stripe if you want, it's your car and I think it looks great.

Coincid likes this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t know if a single Pista owner who was pissed because of the release of the F8. I quite like the F8 and think it looks great.

elmadi and Jo Sta7 like this.
  3. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I love the Pista but for me the F8 is the better car. I don’t need or want a stripped down car with no glovebox, decent arm rests and no carpet. I want a car my wife will be happy to ride in and I like the looks and the updated interior. The other issue is the Pista is still a lot more money than my fairly loaded F8. This doesn’t mean the Pista isn’t an incredible car it certainly is, just not ideal for me.

The F8 is not a Pista light to me it’s just a different car using the fantastic Pista engine.

Coincid and Lukeylikey like this.
  4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Congrats, I’m about 2 weeks away from delivery. Post pics....

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Totally agree. I won’t lie that I’ve had the thought cross my mind to add an F8 to my Pista. Pista for special occasion driving, F8 for more of a daily. Both cars complement each other but certainly it doesn’t bother me in the least that the F8 was launched by Ferrari. I think the car is great.

gzachary and sampelligrino like this.
  6. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Congrats. Post pictures when you can

mdrums likes this.
  7. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    elmadi, EzyMode and tekaefixe like this.
  8. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Go for it. Share with us when project completed

9. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    After 2 test drives and 500 kms driven on my own F8, the time has come to reveal my thoughts. Over the last week, the F8 was driven on city streets, isolated, winding country roads and a vacant industrial area, which I transform into my personal ,virtual race track. The car was used very sparingly in automatic mode (only until the car warms to the requiste temperature and in heavy traffic), and almost exclusively in sport and race mode- manual as well as CT and ESC disabled.

The most obvious and compelling attribute of the F8 is its appearance. The overwhelming consensus is that that the car is inordinately attractive, aesthetically beautifully harmonious and artistically fluidly coherent. There are no angles that minimize its physical appeal. Reactions upon being viewed were characterized by an abundance of WOWS, OMGs, followed by profuse compliments and I dare state that when seen again after the application of the striping, the enthusiasm was significantly enhanced.

The interior, while not nearly as breathtaking as the exterior, is attractive and exudes luxe with a mix of superb workmanship and high quality materials. For those familiar with Ferrari interiors, the one in the F8 does not break new ground but has refined the design to a more pleasing level. The ergonomics are logically laid out and are intuitive to operate. The highlights of the interior are the racing seats and the steering wheel. The seats are highly supportive offering superb bolstering, yet are very comfortable and are stunning. The steering wheel is by a wide margin, the most effective and appealing in any car that I have encountered. Every element of it is a work of mastery. The tactile feel, its size and shape, are unparalleled. The sound system, I mean radio, on the other hand, is at the lower level of quality and is sonically inferior. Personally, this is of little consequence, as the radio is rarely powered on.

The following perceptions of the driving dynamics of the F8 will lend credence to the claim that it may be arguably the most accomplished versatile super car ever introduced. The F8 is a tale of a highly evolved sports car that can be exceedingly competent on a track and spirited driving, while simultaneously being sufficiently comfortable in daily use. Let's address the latter statement first. Driving the F8 in Sport- automatic mode ( for those who are so inclined) exhibits a calm, comfortable demeanour that is relatively sonically tranquil. The ride is similar to an S class Mercedes or I shutter to state, a Bentley. There remains, however, one significant differentiation- the F8 suspension is still not overly compliant or refined. It remains firm and will continue to reveal the characteristics of the nature of the road surfaces. The suspension is never harsh or jarring, but it will not replicate the cushy feel of a luxury sedan. However, the true super car driving transformation occurs when the car is switched to RACE- manual mode. Clark Kent is transmogrified to Superman. The entire persona of the car is dramatically altered. The exhaust note becomes elevated, the suspension firms further, and excitement exacerbates by reving the engine to levels that maximize the power band. The DCT is lightningly quick and the F8 blinding speed and it is ferociously fast, generates a G- Force that will pin the driver to the back of the seat upon instant throttle acceleration. If this does not engender a severe rush of adrenaline , difficult to comprehend what will. The turbo lag has diminished to the level that is no longer consequential and is virtually imperceptible. Ferrari has accomplished an enginering feat that is unique amongst forced air induction engines.

The ingredients that are fundamental to a super car's driving dynamics involve ride- a car's ability to smooth a bumpy road, handling- a car's ability to optimally accelerate, brake and corner and steering- the ability to accurately change the car's direction. Some have claimed the F8 is " soft". If they are referring to the suspension, then they are mistaken. The F8 suspension is firm and provides tactile feedback to allow the driver to experience precisely the nature of the road surface. It has been painstakingly balanced between excessive stiffness and extreme compliance, both of which are responsible for transferring excessive energy to the car's frame and chassis resulting in sacrificing tire grip and tire contact with the road's surface. The F8 suspension accomplishes its task with great efficacy. Acceleration, as previously noted, is explosive. It is testament to the car's suspension tuning, that under hard acceleration and cornering, the F8 exhibits tenacious grip and stability, especially given the fact that this is a rear wheel drive car. Unfortunately, the standard supplied Pirelli P Zero tires , while adequate for most driving environments, is not up to the task to take full advantage of the F8's prodigious grip capability. To fully exploit the vast handling and grip capabilities of the F8 will require the substitution of the P Zeros with Michelins that are offered on the Pista. The F8 braking ability is exemplary. The brakes are not annoyingly grabby upon the slight depression of the brake pedal. They are highly linear and provide tangible feedback. They are amongst the finest I have experienced. The steering is a pure delight. It is direct, tight and purposely weighted in a Goldilock's approach- neither too heavy nor overly light- it is just judiciously right. Poiunt the car in the intended direction and the command will be obeyed with the obedience of a highly trained police Malinois.

The time has come to address the elephant in the garage- the sound- which has generated more controversy and divergent views than any other parameter of the F8's character. For those who prioritize engine noise uber alles, whose predilection for a voluminous and exuberant sound
    over all else, the engine note of the F8 will prove disappointing. It is not at the level of most N/A engines such as the Carrera GT, Performante or even the 458. However, for others, including myself, the sound created by this marvellously performing engine is sufficiently satisfying as not to constitute a major concern. There are two components that comprise engine sound. The first is the quality of tone the second but inextricably intertwined component is the quantity of sound. The quality of sound created by the F8 is mellifluous and tonally appealing. It is slightly lower frequency dominant exhibiting a baritone like quality. It is sonorous being deep and strong in a pleasant manner. It is not at all raucous or shrill. For engine sound lovers, the issue centers on the quantity. They would prefer and even insist on much higher sound pressure levels in order to be satisfied. The manner in which the F8 is driven will have a salient impact on the loudness. In sport - auto mode, the noise levels are dramatically curtailed and unbefitting a super car. However, in RACE - manual operation, maintaining the revs in the optimum power band range will substantially heighten the sound levels to a marked degree and proper downshifting will even entertain the occupants with a few sporadic sprinkled pops.

Minor Quibbles:
    1. The auto stop/start button must be activated each time the engine is shut off.
    2. The brake and gas pedals are too intimate with one another and should have been spaced further apart.
    3. When fuelling the car, the gas nozzle must be precisely inserted at a specific depth otherwise the pump will shut off. Took some experimentation to get it right.
    4. There are sporadic , occasional creeks and resonances emanating from the dash depending on the roughness of the road surfaces.

In conclusion, the F8 is stunning and occupies a position at the pinnacle of super cars . It is stellar on every parameter of performance both on an objective and subjective level. It is mind boggingly capable and is simultaneously compelling, engaging and thrilling to drive. I am truly enamoured by it and personally it addresses everything I desire in an exotic sports car.

Texas2step, elmadi, TR007 and 22 others like this.
  10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks for the excellent write up! Makes me even more excited to get mine! Do you have the upgraded JBL stereo?

elmadi and Coincid like this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Thanks for the kind words. I have the standard radio.You will love the car. It is very special.

elmadi likes this.
  12. Thanks for the write-up. Glad you are enjoying the new ride.

Coincid likes this.
  13. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Points for using mellifluous in a write up. Do you speak how you write? You’re our resident Hemingway.

goblue22, MANDALAY and Coincid like this.
  14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    2. my shoes size is 11 -1/2
    3. Never happened at any gas station ever on any other car.
    4. No rattles on the majority of roads but if sufficiently rough it will.

tekaefixe likes this.
  15. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Thank you. Appreciate the nice words. I actually do speak as I write but it is subject to modification depending upon who is the listener.

Tech Nerd and Jo Sta7 like this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I should extend kudos to my dealer, Ferrari of Ontario, but especially to Giuseppe Porretta, Sales Manager, for a purchasing experience that was exceptionally satisfying. I was treated with courtesy, respect and attention to detail. Emails answered within minutes and kept apprised of the delivery status throughout the process. The car was immaculate when I picked it up. The fit and finish of the car was pristine and the workmanship of the highest calibre. The stories presented about the poor quality of the paint on Pistas and sub standard overall finish was anxiety provoking. Ultimately, all turned out perfectly and I could not be happier.

17. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #4892 REALZEUS, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Or any other semi-slick for that matter, like the excellent P Zero Corsa.

As per EU requirements.

Excellent write up; I thoroughly enjoyed it! Enjoy her in good health!

Coincid likes this.
  18. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks for a great, unbiased write up. For some of us that may eventually be on the hunt for the Tributo, this is good news. And to think the radio was a disappointment, LOL! (mine sounds great when I’m waxing the car with the top down).

Coincid likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    P Zero Corsa is very good. I had them on my Performante.

lamborghini only has auto stop/ start in Strata mode. When you switch to sport or corsa it automatically disables the auto start/ stop.

REALZEUS likes this.
  20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #4895 Lukeylikey, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    That saved me a lot of typing! After 300 miles in ours, I completely concur with what you said. You have noticed some of the same things I have, such as the steering wheel, which feels wonderful. It is the same design as the Lusso and 812 but it doesn’t feel the same, it feels thinner and much nicer. The ride is firmer than I expected, firmer than the 488 for instance, I started mine up this evening and had to get out of the car again. I noticed the thing was making a right racket, just like our Pista. It sounds good in motion (have only used race/CT Off so far) leaving me wondering what on earth people are talking about when they dismiss the sound of the F8? My guess is they judged from an iPhone YouTube video of a car probably in sport mode. Our car is absolutely fine in terms of sound and as nice as both the 488 and Pista. It is not as sweet as the 812 Superfast, but then neither is the Speciale. The 458 is nicer sounding than the F8 but nowhere near as much as some would have you believe, and remember, I own both. People moaned about GPF on the 812, our GTS sounds great too. Truthfully, I’m starting to get a bit fed up with keyboard warriors making casual comments that others then repeat as fact. Here’s a fact; the F8 is sublime. It took me a while to gel with the Pista and realise that it is, after all, an objectively better car than the Speciale (still have our Speciale too, I really love that car, maybe subjectively I choose the Speciale but objectively it has to be the Pista). Didn’t have to wait at all to work out the F8 is brilliant, I took to it straight away. I love it.

Ash Patel, stavura, Drson and 8 others like this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Glad you corroborate my F8 experience. I felt confident in its purchase after 2 test drives and ignored the nay sayers all with little driving experience. The F8 is a very special car and it’s ownership excites me greatly.

Ash Patel, stavura, jim g and 3 others like this.
  22. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You two are making me want to scrap the ideas I’ve been having and order an F8. The lead time is 18 months?

Ash Patel and Coincid like this.
  23. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You will not regret it.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  24. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think too much of the same same.

I would buy a used 812 and then you have a real stable!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SoCal to az and Jo Sta7 like this.
  25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Don’t get Pista offa...just get an F8. :)