California T Glove box latch | FerrariChat

California T Glove box latch

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by lotusstv, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    Hi all,

Just picked up my first F car a few days ago and love it. Should have done this years ago! I have been cleaning up some sticky buttons and things are going well, although the glove box handle is a mess and will require refinishing. I got the glove box out without too much trouble but can't see how to remove the handle from the glove box door. Any chance anyone has done this before?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

russellmcg likes this.
  2. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    No help on getting the door off but just wanted to say congrats on the new car! Share some pictures of it!

3. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congratulations!
    post up a few PICS

4. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Just removed mine last week and now it is with Sticky RX for refinishing. I removed the glovebox door without taking the whole thing out and then undid all of the screws around the periphery to reveal the back of the handle. All straightforward from there. It is a Cai 30 though.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    David

Thanks for the pics, I figured it out!

Steve

6. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
  7. davidtopp

davidtopp Karting

Jun 7, 2019
    UAE
    Full Name:
    David Topp
    Very nice looking car. Enjoy throwing some fast miles at it.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Beautiful car. So strange that it would have sticky parts with under 2,000 miles. My 2013 Cali 30 didn't have any sticky parts and I had close to 20k miles on it when I parted with it in 2018. My 2015 Cali T has almost 16k miles and had no sticky parts until it was in the shop this spring and just the reverse button -- one of the few things that would have been touched by someone else -- came back sticky. I cleaned the finish it off with alcohol and a q tip and nothing else has deteriorated since.

I really believe it has to do with either detailing products or just simple body chemistry ... some people have really corrosive sweat, I can play for months on a set of guitar strings and they still look pristine but I have had a couple of people come in to my shop, play a brand new guitar for 20 minutes and I had to wipe down the entire guitar and the strings were so nasty I threw them away and put a new set on.

If you think about it, if that coating can be easily removed with alcohol or other solvents, it must have to do with other things that are touching it. But how the inside of a glove box latch gets sticky ... no clue.

10. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Florida/Hot moist climate would be my guess.

11. lotusstv

lotusstv Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Parkland FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Stenglein
    I cleaned the sticky seat buttons and the center console buttons with Goo Gone and they came out fine. It's tedious but if you take your time, it's turns out well. The glove box handle was a mess and I sent to StickyRx. Next I need to clean the mirror control and the cladding around the steering column and i should be all set!