FORMULA 1 ARAMCO GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA 2020 BARCELONA-->QUALIFYING▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄ | Page 3 | FerrariChat

FORMULA 1 ARAMCO GRAN PREMIO DE ESPANA 2020 BARCELONA-->QUALIFYING▄▀▄▀ SPOILERS ▀▄▀▄

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The ONLY thing more dismal that Ferrari’s performance is F1 as a whole. It’s simply no fun. It’s usually not entertaining. I have been watching GT racing, endurance racing, etc and it is FAR better. Watching forms of racing other than F1 remind me of what racing is! I have loved F1 since childhood when I attended my first race and want it to succeed. I want F1 to return to the pinnacle of racing in ALL ways. It needs serious help right now.

2. johnireland

johnireland F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2017
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    John A Ireland
    I started the season watching free practice and qualifying on 2x speed...quickly moved the playback speed to 3x. And scanned through the races at 2x. That also moved up to 3x. This weekend I skipped free practice and qualifying all together. Tomorrow I'll read the race results before I decide if it is worth scanning through to see anything. I'd rather go for a ride in my own car. Or read a book.

crinoid, Senna1994, TonyL and 3 others like this.
  3. Davpuxitri

Davpuxitri Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2007
    Reading this while two LMP2 cars were racing side by side up Eau Rouge. Simply epic.

SimCity3, Bas, mdrums and 2 others like this.
  4. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Truth is formula one need to come back to smallest car (2004 size ) with high revving NA engines.
    Sound is so important.
    And maybe a real budget cap ( hops ! i just forgot Mercedes is still there so no hope on this matter )

Bas, Senna1994 and crinoid like this.
  5. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Institute a 96" wheelbase,
    weight to 1200 pounds fully fueled,
    two (2) single plane wings,
    no other aerodynamic protrusions.

crinoid, 11506apollo and Sig. Roma like this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    ANY cylinder count.

7. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    Also need to add a manual gearbox and steel brake rotors.

Mark(study) likes this.
  8. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

All good idea's to be discounted/stopped while large makers reject them. F1 has a team problem. Those teams need motors from large makers like Mercedes and Renault. Road applicability keeps them in F1. If we have 10 independent teams maybe some of those idea's will come back. Yet the larger world moves toward E transport. A distinct conflict in motor philosophy.

9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Its painful to watch the team slide down the charts, what a dismal performance despite two great drivers.
    1.5 seconds off pole position is simply ridiculous
    I bet Williams fancy there chances soon.
    Tony

10. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

Lewis mentioned how challenging Quali was as "the Red Bulls are so fast".

He does love to generate a bit of sympathy :D

And no Lewis, only one RB driver is quite fast !

Bas likes this.
  11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    F1 has become so BORING.... IMSA, WEC, GT World Euro series is where real racing is... and Indycar. These series are much more exciting than F1.

I'm am actually very bummed that I feel this way

Giallo 550, Bas and Nortonious like this.
  12. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Exactly. So much for turning off the Mercedes party mode, a mid season FIA reactionary effort that I actually disagree with. We may never know the full details of what has changed with the Ferrari powered cars, but no question the racing as a whole has suffered.

F2 was better and I just finished Indy 500 Quali, far more entertaining than F1. Team Andretti cars very fast today.

375+ likes this.
  13. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151422/wolff-verstappen-must-be-favourite-for-spanish-gp-win

Mercedes Formula 1 team principal Toto Wolff says Red Bull's Max Verstappen must be considered the favourite for victory in Spain, judging by his long-run pace on Friday.

Mercedes swept to a front row lockout in qualifying at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on Saturday as Lewis Hamilton beat team-mate Valtteri Bottas to pole position.

But the team remains wary of the threat posed by Red Bull after Verstappen won last weekend's race at Silverstone when both Mercedes cars struggled with tyre management.

The long run pace shown by Verstappen on Friday in Spain also pointed to a close battle at the front despite the 0.7 second gap in qualifying.

PLUS: Why F1 may get another Mercedes/Red Bull showdown in Spain

Wolff explained that although Mercedes was not experiencing the same kind of tyre blistering in Spain as it did last weekend, Verstappen's showing over the race simulations on Friday made him the man to beat.

"The only similarity between Silverstone and Barcelona this week is the ambient and the track temperatures," Wolff said.

"The track itself is very different, so we don't expect the same blistering issue like in Silverstone, but nevertheless, [there will be] more degradation and more overheating.

"I believe that Red Bull masters those conditions very well. Nevertheless, I think the work that has been done during the week and from yesterday to today was good.

"We have improved and that is most important. I hope we can give him a run for his money.

"Definitely Max needs to be seen as the favourite, based on yesterday's long-runs."

14. DF1

I made sure to keep tuned up for F2 today. Good racing!!

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    that's crazy, as I was watching quali last night I thought EXACTLY the same! I listened to an interview with Montoya a few weeks ago and he was sort of making the comparison between the V10 cars that he drove and the current hybrids...he made the observation that only now the 2004 laptimes are falling, despite the current cars having 15 years of aerodynamic development, 30% more tyre, and much more downforce.

The V10 era cars looked much faster than todays cars, despite the speeds on track being pretty similar...the reason is indeed because those cars where much smaller, they looked much more ''alive'' on track. Of course the sound was much better (but I'm not going into that debate again with the usual fun police).

Solution is to get the weight down...pronto! Why are they so heavy today anyway? The Williams of 1993 with a 195 liter fuel tank (current size tanks are 154 liters) and weighed 505kg.

Sunracer, jpalmito and SimCity3 like this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Happy I turned it off before hearing that **** coming out of his mouth! What an idiot...that car was always going to be on pole, lol. Of course his fanboys will now say that it was a heroic qualifying and he bravely fought of ''the much faster red bull''. That guy doesn't know a challenge when it hits him in the face...I'd LOVE to see Max or Leclerc in a car as fast as his...he'll be a inconsolable, crying mess!

17. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sure toto...

moretti likes this.
  18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    PArty mode isn't turned off yet...

mdrums likes this.
  19. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Those other series have always been more exciting than F1. Nothing new

william likes this.
  20. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    How bout we just give these cars enough fuel to get them to their rev limit of 15k. Maybe that’ll make them sound tolerable. That’s more realistic than believing the FIA will ever give what fans have begged for

SimCity3 and Bas like this.
  21. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    At 15K rpm these engines still won't sound that good...Doubling the engine size, doubling the amount of cilinders, 15K rpm and removal of turbos will get the sound we're after. And it'll be reliable, and miles cheaper....so hey, we can run at high rpm longer, improving racing and have the utmost aural pleasure...!

SimCity3 likes this.
  22. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Just put a Cozzie in all of them ..job done!

23. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, get the friggen weight down.

Why are they so heavy: they are carrying around 160 HP of batteries, and motors, and motors to drive and pressure limit the turbo, and don't forget the weight of the turbo.
    You can throw in 8 speed gear boxes, all the hydraulic pumps and tubing, and the 14-odd computers on board. Then you stil have the IR cameras looking at engine temps, tire temps, transmission temps, MUG-H temps,.....

And the fact FIA mandated a minimum weight of 740 Kg I remember when it was closer to 600Kg (including driver 2003)

Bas and SimCity3 like this.
  24. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    With all the comments about F1 being boring I am seeing...

Have you watched the races?!?!

I completely agree it has had better years. I also know that the winner is not exciting. But the mid pack has been amazing to see.

It has been quite fun if you ignore the winner will be Mercedes and Ferrari is kinda sucking. Seeing this new wave of mid pack is quite fun.

NeuroBeaker and william like this.
  25. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    The thing is they're only more interesting b/c of midpack fighting (which there's been plenty of this season in F1). But it's funny somewhat to see comments about how Mercedes always wins, yet there's praise for another motorsport that hasn't exactly been invincible to 1 team holding most of the 'ships.
    WeatherTech the last few years has seen:
    DP: Acura, Action Express, Wayne Taylor, Action Express, Action Express, Action Express
    GTLM: Porsche GT, Corvette, Corvette, Corvette, Porsche NA, SRT Motorsports

And the WEC:
    Toyota, Toyota, Porsche, Porsche, Porsche, Toyota, then that long Audi-era of the 2000's across the whole endurance board. This reign for Mercedes will likely end in the next year or so whether it's by new rules or someone crucial leaving. F1 got past an era where everyone got mad at Ferrari & Schumacher for always winning, then many got mad at Red Bull & Vettel. They'll get over the Merc & Lewis era soon enough.

william and ktu like this.