2020 calendar update | FerrariChat

2020 calendar update

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/151409/turkey-and-jerez-in-contention-for-2020-races

Formula 1 could be set to return to Turkey and Jerez in November as it puts the final pieces in place on the 2020 calendar.

With the Vietnam Grand Prix looking set to be cancelled, F1 is moving to add some more European events to the calendar before finishing the 2020 season in the Middle East in December.

Thirteen races have currently been confirmed on the schedule so far this year, leading up to the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola on 1 November.

F1 organisers were hopeful of holding some Asian events in November ahead of the final races in Bahrain and Abu Dhabi, but the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has made this unlikely.

It means the Turkish Grand Prix could be set to feature on the F1 calendar for the first time since 2011, taking up a slot towards the end of November.

The Istanbul Park circuit is operated by the Intercity group, which initially was part of talks between F1 and the Turkish government back in 2017 when Liberty Media took over as the championship's commercial rights holder.

Intercity confirmed at the end of last month that it was once again in talks with F1 over reviving the Turkish Grand Prix.

Since then, it is understood talks have advanced given the slim chances of racing in Vietnam, although a final deal is yet to have been struck.

Istanbul Park does not regularly host any major racing series, but the track is understood to be in good condition, with only some minor work required on the grandstands should the race be opened up to fans.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F1 is also understood to be considering a return to Jerez in another move that would bolster the calendar.

Jerez last hosted an F1 race back in 1997, when it staged the season-ending European Grand Prix, with the most recent F1 running taking place there in 2014 when it was a venue for pre-season testing.

Jerez hosted a standalone Formula 2 round back in 2017, and recently staged the opening two races of the MotoGP season.

Should both Istanbul Park and Jerez join the schedule for 2020, it would put F1 on course for a 17-race calendar once the dates for Bahrain and Abu Dhabi are finalised.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Turkey and Jerez? Awesome, I take it.

This season is getting better every week.

3. DF1

Happy to see this variety and ease of travel for the teams.

4. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    17 or 18 races? What will happen to the second race in Bahrain? In the external quasi oval circuit.

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Maybe the Pirelli tyres wouldn't be able to take it ? :)

6. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    4 more races will be announced next week.

tifosi12, subirg, DF1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Do you know what happens to the engine number limit if they keep adding races that were no planned?

More GPs are welcome, of course.

8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I believe it will stay the same.....3.

Flavio_C and william like this.
  9. DF1

Yes the PU number is the same. I have not seen any change announced.

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    There is talk now that Bahrain might not happen because of Covid, hence the announcement of new tracks.

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    And that just got squashed! Yeah!

We now really have as full a season as if it was a normal year. Turkey, Abu Dhabi and 2 x Bahrain got confirmed. Even with spectators.

All that negative talk about cancelling the season (hello Ecclestone, hello Benoit!) was just that, idle talk. Liberty made the impossible possible. Bravo to them!

And there is no need to put an asterisk underneath the season's results because it only had 8 races, err 15 races...Nope, full blown season with all the teams.

And thanks to Liberty's organizational talent and negotiations there will be enough races to get the full pot of TV gold, which will keep especially the small teams alive and gives them a shot at 2021.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

F1 is alive! More than ever!

12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I heard it'll be a night race. So are they going to install the big lights like Singapore?

14. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Are not most Bahrain races into the evening then night??

15. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I don't think so. IIRC Bahrain was always day time and it was Abu Dhabi that races into the sunset.

16. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver
    I'm pretty sure bahrain has been a night race for a few years now....

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think you are correct. Funny, in my head I have it as a daytime race. My bad.

18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  19. DF1

fil likes this.
  20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
  21. DF1

This is 'un-precedented' lol :)

22. Ferrariformula1

Ferrariformula1 Karting

Jul 10, 2015
    Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Why not return to South Korea? It’s awesome track and next to japan. F1 is going down the hill because it is run by idiots

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    I fear for this thread.

I fear it will be banished to the P&R section. Any talk about a Turkish Grand Prix would be rife with political and religious ramifications. Seriously, Turkey and Greece could soon go to war (Daniel Pipes has explained in this in the Middle East Forum: http://www.danielpipes.org/19776/will-turkey-and-greece-clash-over-a-tiny-island). Turkey's leader, Erdoğan, will doubtless use the Grand Prix as another platform to push his agenda.

But if we talk about what is surrounding the race, will not the thread be immediately banished to P&R, from whence no thread ever emerges to the world, alive? But how could we not talk about what surrounds the race? We talk of other circumstances, like COVID-19.

What do we do?

24. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Every country has its sins: Netherlands is a tax sink for the rest of Europe, at Texas there is death penalty and UK is the homeland of Lewis Hamilton. So if we start talking about the host country instead of about the race, we couldn´t talk about any race.