Major started on the 512tr | FerrariChat

Major started on the 512tr

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Zeff, May 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #1 Zeff, May 25, 2020
    Last edited: May 25, 2020
    The belts looked like they were brand new. Major was done 5 years ago. With 1k miles.

Attached Files:

2. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Some cheap hose clamps were used on the last major. Also he will be doing the diff upgrade using Newman’s. I will also be adding a New exhaust.

MM355 likes this.
  3. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  4. JPMD

JPMD Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    FL
    Full Name:
    John
    subscribed

michaelcwfung1237 likes this.
  5. eziotestarossa

eziotestarossa Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Ezio
    Awesome! Belts look like you just put them on!

6. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    What did you expect. Oddly, why do people think belts and hoses are go bad in 1k miles?!?

If a car is not driven and there’s little heat or stress on rubber and plastics the engine will look like this one (like a fresh major).

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    but when the belts are old and never or nearly never running then it will take not long time when they will run after for example 10 years that they will get destroyed soon

8. sherrillt

sherrillt Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 1, 2009
    Northern Virginia
    Don’t mean to take the thread down the periodIc belt debate, so I’ll say my piece and shut-up/let it go.

To say basically an unused engine needs a mini overhaul (Belts, seals, gaskets, hosed, Tabs, etc) doesn't make much sense. It is back to the periodic belt argument of what’s the expiration date on NOS belts?...I have had extremist tell me NOS rubber items were garbage after 3-4years (which is nonsense).

As in past debates arguably it is always about tensioners, which need to wear out, that causes problems and not 1-3k mi barely used belts on whats typically a cruiser car - such belts spontaneously breaking is highly improbable.

I aspouse condition based maintenance that is based on age, driving Style/miles (driving avg miles), and environmental (running in hot/cold Temps) factors assuming the engine bay gets hot for a prolonged period and all of these are what drives the manufacturer to prescribe a Conservative service interval.

Although it’s a good precaution after 10+plus years to perform a service on such an expensive car, to perform such a costly breakdown on a 5yo/1k engine is a preference, and not a requirement if that’s what anyone might believe.

Comparative Example - My Corvette belts are still the original from 2011 on a 9kmi ZR1; they aren’t “magic belts“ that are made better or last longer than the belts in my 512TR and they are just fine (no stress cracks) and I have no plans to replace them in the next year as that car will probably not see 1kmi this year.

9. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I agree with everything you said here. The main reason I wanted to go ahead with the major was because I wanted the diff upgrade. After Shamiles car had a problem I didn’t want to take any risk. My mechanic said, dont do the major right now. With my light use of the car, he recommends doing the major every 7 or 8 years.

EZORED likes this.
  10. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Diff problem keeps you up at night!

11. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Almost, lol. I called Brian Or Rifledriver and had a long discussion about this. If it occurs and does major damage will cost a small fortune. He said do it ASAP. Plus, the parts are getting difficult to resource. I trust his input so I went for it early. Funny thing is, my mechanic said some of the valves were loose. So I guess the stealer didn’t check the valves when they did the last major. At least that’s what we both concluded.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what you understand under this? too much valve play? under loose I understand somethinging other - so for example play in the valve guides

13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I did three different times valve settings, none of valves were out of tolerance!

Zeff likes this.
  14. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I found 6 of exhaust valves loose and one intake. Others check okay.
    Intake valves set .025 /.030 mm
    Exhaust vl. Spec. .030/.035mm

Reply from mechanic yesterday.

15. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yes too much play.

16. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    totally agree
    I have a 512 TR with 110 k on it
    replaced the belts after 40k
    use it or lose it

sherrillt and Zeff like this.
  17. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    very rare
    they barely move until around 60k
    then the exhaust valve eat into the heads

18. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Yeah, the mechanic thought it was odd too.

19. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    The major is now complete. He did run into trouble with the Ferrari dealership using too much silicone on the cam heads. But everything is ok now. I decided to wait on the Kevlar clutch as my clutch was brand new and he talked me out of it. But new hoses, exhaust, and diff upgrade completed. 16k plus the cost of the diff part 3500 plus the exhaust. Total 24k. Who says you can’t do a major for 5k with all the extras you may need or want? Fools I tell you, just Fools!! Lol

20. Clyde Romero

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    get the silicone hose kit and replace the S upper hose to the radiator pipes along with the other lower hose
    save the old hose and always carry it with you
    it will be the one to burst since its on top and catches all the heat and you actually replace it on the road if it goes
    don't ask me how I know
    also replace the hoses under the intake manifolds they catch hell
    use marine hose for that if you can
    check your front main seal as well

21. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks Clyde for the info. He also replaced the fuel cross over hoses. Take a look at what the dealer installed on the last major for fuel hoses.
    View attachment 2096759

Attached Files:

22. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
  23. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    #23 Zeff, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    The dealer charged 25k last major. Garbage service quality. I had high expectations of them initially. Never again! I really enjoyed the process of getting the major done. I now have a good foundation with the car. I know that everything is done correctly and is current. It’s just ready to drive and enjoy. I don’t think you have been properly initiated into the tr world until you Have at least one major under your belt.

24. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Now for sure u better keep her 10+ years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe likes this.
  25. Zeff

Zeff Formula Junior

Oct 8, 2018
    Cupertino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Thanks Nat! That was always my intention.