F8 exhaust options. GPF delete | Page 6 | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust options. GPF delete

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    From the start, I think we all knew sound was not the strong suit of the F8. Folks seem to rave about the noise the Huracan makes as a NA option, unfortunately for me I just never cared for Lambo styling. I generally like what Ferrari does with cars, they definitely failed the F8 by not offering a non GPF car for everywhere else but the EU. I’m not too wrapped about the sound, I think the car will suit me just fine. If not, I suppose I will find a solution over time.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Mate , too quick , too harsh. Take a breath.

Do you have any custom built exhaust shops near you ?

Don't know in you neck of the woods but shops like this are all around me in Australia.

Get a competent shop to remove the silencer and put a x pipe to join the pipes. As I described above that the only thing Tubi did to their exhaust system

Doing this will by pass the valve mechanically , remove the silencer.

Have Ferrari remove the Capristo unless they can fix the issue.

BTW I claim commission if any manufacturer does this :)

IMO I believe it will be the best solution.

3. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    My problem with that is I void my warranty. I got them to give me 5 year bumper to bumper so hate to throw that away. But I need the sound. I kept my 458 and sadly, have put more miles i it since I got my F8 (900 miles on F8 sine May 1 but over 1000 on my 458)). The F8 drive is fantastic- love the feel and speed. But need the sound.

LMH, ferrarifanatic25 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  4. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I love the sound of my pinned valved 488 GTB. The F8 I drove didn't have the sound but as everyone knows it was just OEM. I believe what taming the sound the most is the silencer . The GPF not so much as people with GPF on the 812 claim it still sounds similar to a non GPF car.
    The next taming is the Cat.
    Look at the Tubi . Man the first thing I would do is just remove the silencer , start her up and listen. If its good and your happy get a X pipe made. Once you want more put 200 cel cats.
    Don't know in your neck of the woods but removal of GPF and Cat is totally illegal.

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    EVO RWD and save $50-75k. Hope you get most of your money back on the F8. That was almost as fast as Dusty's Pista.

6. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'd get yourself a Pista poste haste!!! It's the best Ferrari out of the 488 bunch by a longshot. The Pista sounds great imo and you can put a valve controller on it that won't throw a CEL. You may even be able to transfer the existing controller onto it as well.

Your best chance to shift out of F8 is today before the numbers of used ones start increasing. There will be a lot of these coming onto the market in the next 12 months. You can see that one coming a mile off.

ferrarifanatic25 and Gh21631 like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Void warranty ? Mate Do your self a favour. If you believe that the Capristo wont work look at another unit. That's first thing
    Second just take off the silencer and start the car.
    If that is ok for you get a new silencer made. Ferrari would never know.
    It depends how inventive you are. At least you not playing with the car electronics

8. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Damn. It sucks not falling in love with such a purchase.

Ash Patel likes this.
  9. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I am calling around town to some exhaust shops to see if anyone is experienced enough to look at it (Google did not return much in Denver). I will fully admit I know nothing about exhaust systems or what the challanges will be. I will print some of the diagrams Angelo posted and see what they say. Also going to look at an EVO later this week.

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #135 Shadowfax, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    The best thing to do would be have your Ferrari tech contact the engineers in italy who designed the gpf system and associated fail safes. My guy here has and assures playing around with the backpressure in any way will at one point result in a cel and limp....even screwing with the muffler. Even on the Pista there is a chance of throwing a cel with the valves pegged open which is why i was advised dont drive it hard with the controller holding the valves open and use stock setting when doing sustained sporty or track driving. The only reason which answers for why cpi guys hasnt thrown yet is he hasnt been pushing it enough or when he has hes had it in the stock setting. The F8 is a car that will need a remap if you want to consistently run it with the valves open.
    Thats just how it is im told. But ask for yourself. I will be very surprised if your tech comes back with a different story.
    Asking others who didnt make the system is a waste of time. Go to the source. No point listening to bs artists looking to sell you a cure who will only take your money.

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Just take it easy. Don't be so impulsive that you might regret it. BIG PROBLEM will be divided into smaller problems and solved.
    No one wants to be a guinea pig but unfortunately it is obvious that Capristo didn't get it right.

I have thought about this a long time because im considering to buy a F8. Im getting some fair offers on my 488 GTB.

Pinning the valves doesn't work.
    So far noone has been able to convince me that a remote valve opener will work.
    You cannot remove the GPF due to programs with regards to regeneration.

So my only thought was to leave it all in place BUT open up the restriction to the sound when the valves are closed i.e going through the silencer.

As I said the silencer has been removed from the ROMA to combat against the diminished sound. Note the cat also has been made smaller. Like I said I would do the cat also but even latter on.

Remember silencers are there just to do that. Its not rocket science. Look at the exposed 430 below. Its just a series of pipes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Im very positive there is nothing in this design that could have a calculation that would be ECU controlled. Hence like I said same as the Tubi just connect the pipes

Just removing the silencer to test it would clearly show any nett effect.

Use this logic if Tubi thinks this is an upgrade to the Pista exhaust , clearly shows its a viable option.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Or look at what Capristo does for their Pista

All they do is eliminate the silencer. $3800 !!! Go figure.

I bet the aftermarket guys will do something like this for the F8 , mark my words,

So John chill out and get to know your F8. You waited so long for her and now you have here.

Wont question on a V10 up to you but IMO waste of money IMO. Sound is important yes but before you despair too much look at the You Tube by shmeee on the Roma. Sound is really good and ill bet that's what the F8 will sound like with the silencer taken out :)

13. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    From 6m30s mark, sound discussion and then mentioned throughout rest of video:

Interesting observation, from 5000 to redline, engine sounds the same...

LMH likes this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I really enjoy his driving.

15. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There is a guy that I sold a few porsche exhausts to that runs a company called carnewal. He modifies them and then sells them on. I will give him a call and see if there is anything that can be done with an F8 exhaust. Anyone know how much one costs and where the best place is to buy it?

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I liked his comment that if you can't daily drive an F8 "you either can't afford it... or you suck."

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The price would be horrendous to purchase as an exercise. Most likely over $15,000. And owner with a F8 needs to go to an exhaust place.

With that it would be a simple task remove the silencer , start the car and listen.

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #143 Shadowfax, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    He's spot on there. It'd be a complete wast of money not to drive it every day but then there are much cheaper and more practical cars for that duty. He also couldn't help but to comment how quiet it was with absolutely zero crescendo and, with no means to tell when its on the red other than keep watch for the steering wheel lights. Basically all he had to say was how fast it was - says that about 100 times over but nothing much else. Personally I think a 992tts would be a far more practical daily, cheaper, less obtrusive, and also much faster.

PS Mandalay if you call the head tech at FMS he will explain the situation why he doesn't believe the muffler can have baffling removed which will alter the back-pressure upstream or change the pulse. If you want an F8 to sound any good you will basically need to start from scratch and throw your warranty in the bin in the process. There may be a little bit of room in changing the muffler baffling but it would need to keep back-pressure within range upstream. It's not as if you'd be able to ditch the muffler from what I'm aware.

ryalex and MANDALAY like this.
  19. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I am trying to locate one here in Colorado (no luck so far)............Drove the EVO today - sounds is good but man, what a disappointment on everything else. (Drove 600LT too - which sounded pretty good) I will figure this out one way or another..........everything else on the F8 is so good........ there has to be a way. I just need to find the right shop......

20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ild love to know. Im making deductions based that on the ROMA they have removed the silencer, reduced the catalytic converter size and instead of a round sealing valve now is oval letting gasses to go through. All of this to reduce back pressure ?

Based on this and other aftermarket exhausts that delete the silencer it would be a simple check to just remove the silencer and see what happens. Cant hurt to check

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #146 Shadowfax, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Agree but a phone call is much easier. He's done the full training in Italy on the F8 and is right up on the systems. Knowing what you are up against before you buy the car or start out modifying is always best getting it from the horses mouth what's likely to be achievable. Don't forget when you remove the silencer or increase the flow in the silencer by removing baffles it also increases flow upstream as well and you have the sensors placed in between. So it comes down to the range which they operate in and how far to the edge of that extremity you can go before the sensors register a fault in the pipe.

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ok , name ?

23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Will pm you the details.

MANDALAY likes this.
  24. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just another opinion, which like yours... no one else values or cares about.

Drson, Coincid and Mortarion like this.
  25. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Just got back from dealer........the CEL was a boost error code (nothing to do with the Capristo switch). I would have lost that bet for sure.................they are not sure why it happened (it was hot and I was at 8000 feet) but they are sent it back to Ferrari just in case. I will push it hard over the next few weeks and see how things go - fingers crossed.

Mortarion, mdrums and MANDALAY like this.