355 - Community DIY SD2 for 355F1 (and 360 peeps too) | FerrariChat

355 Community DIY SD2 for 355F1 (and 360 peeps too)

Discussion in '348/355' started by J. Salmon, Aug 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    There is an SD2 available. I put this idea out there before, but now it could be a very real thing: If a group of us purchased the tool, we could have it available as a loaner and our DIY capabilities would be truly comprehensive. I believe eliminating the requirement of being beholden to a dealership would increase the value of these cars, and this need is only going to go up as time goes on. Another possibility would be having the tool and the resources available for "lease", either by a single person or smaller group.
    https://wset.com/news/local/racing-station-added-to-stem-curriculum-at-jubilee-family-development-center?fbclid=IwAR2BdTJ-ppbpT8fFMWn05sOcvan5XpTa_l8AcXUdS8D1zu83kT6oUg4yjZI

2. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    In 360 land we have found that upgrading the TCU to a newer model (such as the challenge stradale) if you don't already have one, will work with certain diagnostic tools. The launch x431 for instance gives almost full SD2 capabilities. That being said, for those who don't want to upgrade, this could be a great option.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Instead of a full sd2/3/x tool, the Galileo, from the company that makes the Leonardo, would be a lot less expensive. For a single model like the 360, it's $5000. Two models (360 and 430) is about $7500.

The Galileo comes with a two year warranty, updates and technical support.

The "loaner" program might operate with the first user buying the device from the dealer, then subsequent users buying it from the last user. That way, there's no risk that it might disappear and the organizer gets ripped off.

The downside is that the last user has $5k tied up until the next person needs it.

WATSON likes this.
  4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Someone had to administer it as someone needs to take sizable deposits when it is on loan to ensure its return. How do you even verify the person loaning it to actually has a car? The idea is noble but I don't see this turning out well as it just takes 1 bad apple.

5. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
    i really wish this wasn't true^^^^^^^

6. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I would be interested, in fact I've be looking personally for one.
    but I think you would have to literally have a like a $10000 deposit, and some rules concerning the time frame of the rental, care, as well as insured shipping etc
    Is there a cheap or free escrow service that could be used?

7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    My local Ind shop (Motion Products) had an SD2. However, it was completely unsupported form Ferrari. Once it finally had an "issue" it was toast.
    They are not an authorized user despite some world class Ferrari restoration work.
    Ferrari refused to service the unit. You can expect the same with any used unit

This sucked for me personally as it was right when my engine out service was completed and they no had no way to reset the F1 transmission. Continental handled it (great job BTW)

Motion owns a Leonardo and the support that goes with it and quite pleased from what I have heard.

As noted, you can get a model specific unit for a 355 for $5k. There are two other 355's within 20 mins of me now and we may just do this as a local thing.

EastMemphis likes this.
  8. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
  9. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Are people certain a Leonardo can manage the 355 F1? The issue of it breaking and becoming a boat anchor sounds like it's not uncommon. That makes the value of an SD2 pretty limited.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have two comments for this idea.

1) Any tools that cost more than $500 and comes without technical support from the manufacturers is extremely frustrating to the users. I have this experience with the X431 Launch tool from China.

2) I have some BMW tools that I loan out to people sparingly. The only way it works is a) you send me a check worth the total amount of the tool and I cash it. b) I send your check back to you once you send back the tool. Whatever the tool is, $2000, $5000, $10,000. That works. Otherwise, it does not work.

EastMemphis likes this.
  11. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I own the 355 specific Galileo tool and I can confirm it manages everything on the 355 F1 system.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. Philip M Lach

Philip M Lach Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Delafidle, WI
    Full Name:
    Philip M Lach
    My name is Phil Lach and I'm very new to Ferrari Chat. I'm currently looking for a 355 Spider gated car 97 or newer. This has nothing to do with the information in your post but your group was listed as 348/355 folks so I thought I would see if you could provide some assistance in locating a car. I located in Wisconsin and noticed you use or are affiliated with Motion Products. I knew Wayne prior to his passing. Please provide some assistance if you can

Thank you

13. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    Thanks!
    I think that sorta puts the nail in the SD coffin.

14. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Phil, I think you might get a better response if you start a new thread with your request as non F1 owners might not look at this thread. Best of luck in your search. Check out the Ferrari classifieds on this site.

15. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Well that is lame. I just got my Challenge Stradale flashed TCU back and was hoping to have them do all of the fine tuning.

16. Philip M Lach

Philip M Lach Rookie

Jul 15, 2020
    Delafidle, WI
    Full Name:
    Philip M Lach
    Can someone please assist with how you start a new thread?

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Click on the group (355/348) under Model Specific Discussion. The look at the upper right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #18 Ferrarium, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Try here https://bringatrailer.com/ferrari/f355/.
    Do lots of reading and understand the cars. Consider a 348 :). Good luck!