488 - 430/458 vs 488 sound | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 430/458 vs 488 sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RichardCH, Aug 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    My 488 is my first Turbo car, past 3 were 2 R8's both supercharged and a Huracan also supercharged, all 3 also had aftermarket exhaust. When I decided to get rid of Huracan realized Turbo was the future and might as well dip my toe in. Quickly crossed Porsche Turbo off list as they look like the million other 911's, lacked sound and turbo lag. Then looked at Mclaren 720s and 600LT, both looked much better than the Porsche but I did find sound really lacking in both. While the 720S is very fast I felt it was boring at driving at speeds that wont get you arrested. 600LT was more fun but did find it had turbo lag and cockpit was on the sparce side with horrible electronics. Was sold on the 488 on first test drive, great interior, decent electronics and felt it had a very strong power delivery that felt faster than my 800hp Huracan. Was not thrilled with sound at low RPM but like it it up higher and I knew I could improve with an aftermarket exhaust. Before going to a new exhaust I did the valve mod and am very happy with it and now may not even bother with new exhaust. I don't get all these threads comparing 488 to 458, they are completely different cars. But if you bash my car I'm going to make fun of your outdated, lacking in power and tech 458 :)

2. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I've had both good NA and turbo cars (including my 488), and I have to say I was very very impressed with the 488 sound. I didn't even feel the need to pin the valves open, yes the transition from valves closed to open was a bit annoying but I loved the nuances, burbles, and various tones especially at lower revs where it sounded like rolling thunder.

Turbo or not - I think the 488 sounds great when held up to most other cars. I find it interesting how the 488 seems to be "left out" compared with 458 and new F8, but the 488 may actually have the sweeter sound than both as a hot take in many situations especially short of WOT at higher revs

I watched this F8 spider video and could not believe how quiet the car is, which Matt agreed with FWIW (he compares sound to his 488 spider experience a year prior). Personally I like his One Take reviews (hes done 458/488/F8)

3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I think what settles this debate will be the long term resale value. Just like the 550vs575m, my money is on the 458 to retain its value better and thus mostly due to the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graz, xfrgtr and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    And this just brings us back to liking the 458 better because it's about the money. Icould care less about which has better resale, could have picked up a 458 for much less but didnt want to go backwards getting a car that couldnt come close to measuring up to my Huracan, now their is a car with sound

MANDALAY and Ash Patel like this.
  5. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    #55 xfrgtr, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Brüel & Kjær’s :
    "The sound is a big part of the Ferrari experience. With their V12 and V8 engines and carefully crafted intakes and exhausts, they emit an explosion of sound that resonates with Ferrari's statement of purpose – to provide the driver with the ultimate experience in every moment of his journey."
    New video : Aug 10, 2020
    FERRARI 458 0-310 KM/H ACCELERATION & SOUND by AutoTopNL

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

#56 Natkingcolebasket69, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    That’s inaccurate. Forward isn’t always better. I will not trade my old testarossa for any new car. It Certainly is slower than any model but the sound, ride height, driver involvement, no paddle and looks makes it a timeless machine which to me is better than any new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPOM13, nickorette and xfrgtr like this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Gotta ask type of Superchargers ?

8. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    VF Engineering on all 3, racked up over 28k miles between the 3 and never an issue. I really feel my 488 matches the instantaneous power those cars gave me, really have to hand it to Ferrari on this motor and can see why it has won engine of the year

Ash Patel, MANDALAY and sampelligrino like this.
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    argument about moving so called forward with technology when it comes to machine is not always reasonable.

Best case in point - who is wearing a quartz watch and who is paying 100x for a self winding watch that is so cumbersome to keep time accurate?

I bet most people here are connoisseur with manual watches as well, right?

Who is collecting casio? raise your hand.

10. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I learned quickly that the general public doesn't really enjoy the larini exhaust on my LP640 as I did. Many have commented,, That Thing is REALLY LOUD! Out in the country with no traffic around the car sounds amazing. Take it to a restaurant and people jump and move away when I start it up. My former neighbors were quite happy when we moved out to the country. The wild life on the new property however, weren't happy. Signal in the 488.. For me, it's perfect. Civilized when I need it to be and ferocious when I want it to be. I am not touching a thing on this car. I appreciate the sound of the 458, but I wouldn't want it. I don't do much driving on city streets.

Mrs. M..takes the pics
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

IloveGT and Manda racing like this.
  11. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Yo Rich! Is it ENVY,JEALOUSY, OR HEARING PROBLEM,a little help From a F-CHAT buddy,PSYCHOLOGIST PSYCHIATRIST OR ENT! Your welcome✌️

12. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Ahh.. the mechanical vs digital watch comparison. That’s what an F355 and a Scud is... mechanical symphony.

Sometimes going forward, is really going backwards.

13. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    What if battery powered Tesla Roadster outperformed the Pista? Is that moving forward?

xfrgtr and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Easy to tell actually.

15. pizzadude

pizzadude Formula 3

Feb 20, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I vote no......

16. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Two
    Totally different types of cars, 458 and 488 are both V8 internal combustion. One much faster with similar but upgraded tech

17. JDINPA

JDINPA Rookie

Aug 30, 2017
    Well....we agree on the design/appearance superiority of the 488 over the 458. However, (caveat), once I added a Novitec system to my 488, it's pure visceral music coming from behind my head. I am actually surprised at how happy I am with my 488. Sounds weird to say that but it's true. Every time I drive it, I find myself thinking "God, I LOVE this car" :)

IloveGT, Mighty Joe, mdrums and 2 others like this.
  18. Darryl Brooksbank

Sep 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Darryl Brooksbank
    They can never sound that special because they’ve i) got a flat crank V8, not a 2-plane like the cooking V8’s of yankee cars, and more importantly ii) they’re deficient of four cylinders !

19. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I love the stock sound on my 488 as well.
    It can be civilized or angry depending on your desire. Curious though on your Novitec how far did you go? Just muffler or cat delete etc?

Can we at least come to the consensus that whether you have a 80’s 944, a 458, 488 or F8 the sound is preferred over the Tesla?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Different strokes for different folks.

Me personally, I would never get a turbo car. Not worth the compromises to throttle response and sound. I also feel like turbos are a cheap way to make HP. What's the point when someone can strap a pair onto a Supra and make 1200hp?

Driver connection and engagement is of huge importance to me. Considering our speed limits, it's more important that a car is fun to drive slow then how quickly I can triple the speed limit on a bumpy country backroad. Being fun to drive slow means having a organic and nuanced soundtrack. Start taking that away and you might as well be driving a Tesla

AlfistaPortoghese, Graz and xfrgtr like this.
  21. docsmr

docsmr Rookie

Apr 3, 2012
    I think anyone who owns a Ferrari values the heritage and the brand..
    Every Ferrari is special.. and epic..
    458- undeniably one of the best.. sound epic.. 488 undeniably more advanced.. F8 has its own place..
    Comparing one Ferrari to an other is like comparing your children.. Ones better at math and the other at science and another at track.. doesn’t make any one of them bad!

the whole point of this chat is to see what YOU like or dislike about any model whether you own it or not.. I went with the 488 spider and that doesn’t mean I dont like the 458; I think it sounds great— as does the 488 for what it is.. Personally I dont like the F8 for various reasons but it doesnt make it a bad car..

Sound no doubt is important but it is also no doubt a personal opinion not a fact.. The high pitched acoustics of the 458 are phenomenal; the deep grunting variably changing acoustics of the 488 get alot of us excited..
    So to upload an opinion is Perfectly fine but not to attack or negatively comment on a different model.

Further anyone who’s giving recommendations without having owned any of them or having driven their own personal vehicle is also makes that opinion weak
    I have about 10,000 miles on my 488 spider so I think I can comment on this with some degree of confidence..

enjoy you rides in health and drive safe!

22. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    Sound is easy to change. I enjoy doing all my own work and don’t know anything about turbos except the sound and HP they make(which reminds me of a fast and furious Tokyo drift...not a bash on 488 bc I’ve only heard it stock in person. I hope to own a 488 spider someday, not a fan of F8... for that cost I’d buy another 360 and 430 and have $100k to spend on parts/repair bills Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    For whatever it’s worth, this Turbo’d Scud doesn’t sound too shabby.

Graz likes this.
  24. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    That car sounds great.

25. rttj777

rttj777 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 3, 2014
    Georgia
    Come on people. Sound is in the Ear of the beholder !

P.S. I have 4 Casio watches. I still wear the original Data Bank I bought during my first trip to Tokyo in 1982. The others are spares if and when the original expires. Love 'em.