812 GTS driver feedback please. | Page 5 | FerrariChat

812 GTS driver feedback please.

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by khal360, Jul 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Would love to hear 812 SF and 812 GTS side by side to compare. No doubt the top down enhances the experience and will not take anything away from it. Thanks for posting the nice video. Part of the experience of the GTS is no doubt the top down exhilaration. I wonder if that floods the experience more than the experience of the pure sound itself. It sounds great. Just curious of the differences.

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    It seems the large volume of the engine is successfully producing a good volume of sound.

But, a couple questions. Does the GTS have a 'hot tube'? If so, the "in cabin" sounds will be affected.

And, the GPF devices are capping higher frequency sounds, from the video it is not entirely clear, but it seems as the engine revs increase the higher pitched sounds (V12 'scream') are simply not there. A large volume of sound, yes, but the character of those sounds from pre-GPF are, apparently, changed.

KenU, ScrappyB and gliazzurri like this.
  3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    There is no tube tube. This was fitted to the F8 - I'm fairly sure that the reason is that turbos + GPF = crap sound, so the hot tube improves it (in the cabin at least). The GTS has a large displacement engine with no turbos so doesn't need a hot tube

Regarding the changed profile of the sound - this is undeniably true (I drove in a GTS last week). The sound is more bassy and less of a high pitch, even at higher revs. It still sounds pretty good though, just different. I plan to fit an X pipe to my GTS which will (hopefully) raise the pitch of the sound somewhat, although I'm not expecting it to be the same as the 812 SF. If anyone else has already fitted an X pipe or changed to aftermarket rear boxes please report back on the difference!

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes, I think the best conclusion is that it has its own sound and character. It is more bassy, I wouldn’t say it doesn’t scream at the top end though. I would say that about, perhaps the Pista or GT2RS, but not the GTS. It is still very recognisably a Ferrari V12. The added bass sounds really lovely in this context. The Pista has lots of added bass and while it still sounds good, it is not nearly as pleasant.

Avia11 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  5. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I'm in total agreement with your analysis. It is loud, but the character is the question.

6. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    #106 junc, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    I wonder what Ferrari did to compensate for the GPF and sound because the volume seems to be there. Thinner exhaust walls , less muffling material and different length exhaust manifolds?

I heard my friends F8 and it is really muffled. Pretty sad actually. Startup isnt bad but it gets really quiet afterwards. Inside the car it doesnt sound horrible with the hot tube. Im just happy the GTS doesnt sound like the F8 at this point and have to thank Lukeylikey for his videos/comments.

7. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    As an aside, I took delivery of an F8 recently too. It’s a great car! Maybe I don’t expect as much from it; it’s cheaper. unremarkable (if a Ferrari can ever be that), and just gets on with the business of being blindingly fast and fun to drive with a minimum of fuss. Much easier to drive quickly than the 812s. Obviously a very different experience but offers something the V12s don’t. From inside the cabin it sounds ok to me. Not like the GTS or Superfast, but still sporty enough to keep me interested when I’m pushing it. Overall I prefer it to the non-GPF 488 I had.

Sound is important but I find it is the whole package that determines whether I love a car or not. I’m really enjoying the F8 too.

8. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Couldn’t agree more. Definitely lower at idle/low speed compared to the SF but I actually prefer it.

9. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    @RamsHmb @Lukeylikey thanks guys - you have put together some great reviews and videos. My 812 GTS is at status 40 so I don't know how much longer I have to wait but I can't wait to drive it. Do either of you have nice side views of your cars (video/pic) with the roof closed? I'd really appreciate it if you could share them. Thanks!

Thecadster likes this.
  10. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    This is the best I have at the moment
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #111 ryalex, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
    What a dream drive. I've done Gotthard in a wheezy Peugeot it wasn't quite like this.

Lusso at 4:00!

PS: Just watched that Stelvio clip from your Speciale - WHOA! What a close one.

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    It's the way things are going, with electrification and hybrid becoming more prevalent. If someone is coming back out of a Tesla or Prius then the F8 sounds mind-blowing.

The T.50 looks so-so, but it might be a manual V12 swansong. Makes me think of Clarkson's wistful review of the Vantage v12 manual.

Caeruleus11 and KenU like this.
  13. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    all I have are ones w top down. I can take one next week though.

of2worlds and ryalex like this.
  14. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA

RamsHmb likes this.
  15. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    And let me (us) know if there are other shots/angles you are looking for and we can try and grab them. I am really loving the look. Not to be critical of the Sf but the GTS looks so complete to my eye. These cars do look so much better in the flesh though.

Avia11 and of2worlds like this.
  16. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
  17. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Fantastic video!!

18. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
  19. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    We should ask the driver (powerslidelover) his overall opinion. Is he here?

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I still remember that like it was yesterday. God was looking after us that day, I can tell you!

ryalex likes this.
  21. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    A very good italian pilot of Ferrari Challenge!!

22. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Another data point on the GTS sound....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEmM4g6nmOw/?igshid=q5op1yl3yy4y

I presume it's a stock exhaust - and if so, sounds pretty good to me! My GTS arrives next week and plan to fit my Novitec rear boxes and X pipe to it....interested to see how much difference it makes vs. stock (in the presence of GPF)

LMH, Avia11, gliazzurri and 1 other person like this.
  23. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Congrats! Assume you will update us accordingly.

24. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Congrats! Can't wait to see your review :)

25. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Some things I noticed after a 500 mile (so far) road trip from brand new...
    - the visibility when changing lanes to the driver’s side is poor, materially worse than the 812 SF. The thick B pillar kind of surrounds you and blocks your view. You can of course use your mirrors but need to be wary of the blind spot
    - the car is VERY quiet over the first few hundred miles. Don’t be fooled, it does get better as the GPF settles in (and I’m hoping better still as I get nearer 1000 miles). Still, it certainly lacks the scream at the top end of the SF. It’s still a nice noise; just less aggressive
    - luggage space in the trunk is decent, enough for two large (soft) bags. Storage in the cabin in minimal. I do miss the parcel shelf of the SF which was very useful
    - overall I’m very very happy with it. As expected, it takes the amazing SF experience and enhances it without a roof

Picchu88, LMH, Solid State and 4 others like this.