550 engine cooling improved! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 engine cooling improved!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by AVIMAX, May 26, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    The fan he reccomend me to buy is this: SP30102041(the one with the straight blades). He said that you turn around the polarity to make a pusher be a sucker is not the right way to do it. Anyone have any experience in this? The reason why I am asking is that If I buy his with curved blades, and then turn around the polarity to make the fan spin in the opposite direction, then I am not going to have an efficient set-up.

2. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Erik,

The 30102041 is a 14" fan and according to the Spal website is rated for 1623 CFM which is lower than the 30102113 which is a 16" fan and if I remember correctly is rated for 2500 CFM. You need 16" fans to fit the shroud, 30102041 is not going to fit. I notice now that the 30102113 is no longer showing on the Spal website, not sure why, but if it's not listed on the Spal website anymore, maybe they are discontinuing them? Better to get them while you still can just in case.

The SPAL p/n on my original550 fans is VA18-AP6-42A. If you can, ask Spal what fan they recommend you use to replace VA18-AP6-42A. For reference, the SPAL p/n on the new 30102113 is VA18-AP70-LL/F-59A. Maybe they can also make a comparison for you and tell you if they are the same, or different and if different, how they are different. As I said, the only difference I see is that the newer p/n has sealed motors, there rest is identical physically.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  3. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thanks a lot for this info. I will send the pics to my local guy and see if he can get these fans for me. They have two different engine sizes for the 14 inch fans. Two are more powerful that the two others.

4. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  5. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    It was 91 here yesterday. Drove the 550 extremely hard for extended periods of time at both low and high speed, idling and traffic. No issues with the coolant temperature. Car has rebuilt water pump, Scuderia Rampante hoses, 55K miles, stock fans.

6. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    F456M likes this.
  7. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    I get from Eurospares now a OE Pump but with the old impeller, the right side, because before 53762. Is there a newer Impeller for the old version.? When I built inside the left pump it blocked..... I know that Ferrari updated the pump because of problems when the Maranello is running but not driving....Which motor number you have?

8. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    There was a change starting with engine # 53756. The impeller design changed, but also the pump body changed (the part mounted on the block, not the part with the bearing and impeller). I assume if you have a car with the older style pump body, you need to use the older style impeller. I don't know if you can fit the newer impeller inside the older pump body, I would assume not. My engine # is higher than 53756 (2001 car).

9. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    OK Thank you. With the new impeller, everything must be OK. Perhaps the cooler has inside dirty problems...

10. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Ok, this is a significant difference. It was 103 today, idling in traffic, the water temp was well above 190 with the AC on. So 170 is impressive.

11. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Haven’t passed 100F yet in Toronto, but got pretty close. This was after 45 mins of stop and go traffic a few weeks back, then idling in my driveway for 5 mins to see high high the coolant temp would go. I’m very happy with how everything is working. I’m convinced the biggest change is new fans.

Mirek, F456M and 308 GTB like this.
  12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If I remember correctly, the 575M fans were not SPALS.

13. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Correct, 575 fans are not Spal.

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Just an update...

I got answer from the Norwegian dealer for Spal and he said the Spal factory does not have the fans and need at least an order for 20 units to make some... So I guess I need to buy from America.

15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Small update from Cote d’Azur...

Today, 14th of September, it was 30-33 degrees Celsius in Nice. I got my local garage with a previously Ferrari tech working on my car to change the 550 Maranello waterpump pulley to a smaller 550 Barchetta pulley for improved flow at idle to help with cooling at low rpms. After making a test drive and let the car idle for about 20 minutes, the temp is still very high. So now I am waiting for the new SPAL fans with relay kit from IPG Parts of Florida... Will be very interesting to put it on and do the same test!! The rise in temp from 25 to 31 degrees is a real invrease in the problem. And just easy driving under 20 mph. will make the car cooler than stationary.

Attached Files:

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Sorry the last picture was not supposed to be uploaded... The tech managed to replace the pulley without taking the waterpump off.

17. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Ryan / AVIMAX.

just following up on your thread as I have now done the best modification to my car for the seven year period I have owned it thanks to your post here! I just installed the uprated SPAL fans and wiring harness. And wow! What a difference. It took some time to do it as I did not want to take out the radiator and disconnect the AC lines so all the gas goes out. Instead I replaced the fans while the radiator was in the car. It was seriously tight to remove the lower outer screws for the fans. But they are bolted without through bolts and you can access them when taking off the two big coolant hoses from the engine and the oil recirculation tank mounted on the top of the radiator. And the accellerometer sensor at the bottom. I mounted the SPAL relays on top of each other just behind the right head light. And the power cables to the battery with its own fuses easily accessible at the top of the battery. If does not look like OEM wiring, but quite frankly, I don’t care all that much because the result is soooo much better when it comes to cooling that it is worth it 100%. The new SPAL fans are a bit louder which is a good thing to me as I can clearly hear them when they turn on. Now the car feels like a real and dependable car for thefirst time in my ownership. The temp does not go over 90 degrees C (195 F) even in 30 degrees outside temp!! AC is also good. Thank you very much Ryan for making this thread so I also could get this right. I also spliced in some small wiring so I can make manual switches for the relays and also a LED for each fan (after the relay) so I can see that they run etc., but that is not yet installed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mirek, Bas and Rex71 like this.
  18. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hi Eric,

I'm happy to hear you had the same result as I did, and I agree, the best modification/repair I've done on my car during the 6 years I've owned it.

Mirek and F456M like this.
  19. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Reviving a good old thread…

My 456M is having this done (new Spal fans installed w/a separate harness directly to battery as opposed to the fuse box). My mechanic suggested it as one of my fans was not operating at full speed and the car would run hot in traffic with the A/C on.

Anyway, I was just researching it and cannot wait to see the results based on everything I have read. I have had this radiator out 3X now chasing various cooling problems. Pic is from recent re-core. Fortunately, being a late 2003 I have the smaller water-pump impeller already so that’s cool.

I am probably most excited about taking the massive electrical draw off of the crappy fuse box before I cooked that.

Has anyone else done this mod ?

Attached Files:

F456M likes this.
  20. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  21. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    This summer I decided to replace the right hand fan on my 550 with the newer 30102113. I went for the right hand fan because it covers most of the water's radiator.
    Before the fan was replaced, I took its relay out of the fuse box with a separate harness, and used a 70A relay with bigger spade terminals, then drove 500 km to Italy in summer heat with the old fan still in place.
    The difference was immediately noticeable.
    Putting the newer fan in made things slightly better, but not as much as taking the relay out of the fuse box.

There was no burning of the connectors in the fuse box as some have experienced, but I noticed that the blue connector (for those familiar with the 550's fuse box this is the connector that carries the wires to the right hand fan) was unplugged very easily. The female connectors were not gripping the male spades as they used to do when the car was new. This happens with time, and it is why the contact resistance goes up eventually leading to burnt connectors. The female terminals can be taken out of the plastic connectors and tightened gently with pliers.

Had I known that taking the fans control out of the fuse box made such a difference, I probably would not have replaced the fan! The original one (dated 1998) was still doing a very good job, and the 30102113 cost almost 300 Euros as it was shipped from the US.

Stefano

Bas, F456M and Mirek like this.
  22. Aerosurfer

Aerosurfer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nick
    Can you show pictures how you ran the wiring and where you relocated it to? Did you just remote mount to relay and make a pigtail harness back onto the board or fully take the relay off the board and directly thru the battery?

23. AVIMAX

AVIMAX Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2014
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nick,

See post #16. Not photos of the actual installation, but a diagram of how to wire it. All wiring does in the engine bay, between the battery and the fans, along the RHS fender and then under the radiator, nothing at the fuse board.

24. maranello72

maranello72 Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2009
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefano
    #49 maranello72, Sep 13, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    Nick,
    I put the new relay in the passenger footwell, next to the fuse box. The relay's coil is connected to the original terminals in the fuse box, where the old relay used to sit. Power is fed to the relay by a 12 AWG cable connected to the main positive bus (on the top left of the footwell). A 40A fuse is present on this cable.
    From the relay another cable then splits into two, and has two male spade terminals that are mated to the two female terminals (that go to the RH fan) extracted from the blue plastic connector.
    Unfortunately I did not take a photo of the harness before installing it.
    All this can be reverted to the OEM state in 10 minutes, as none of the original wiring was cut. I've only removed the original relay and extracted the two fan cables from the blue connector, without damaging them.

I hope this is clear enough.
    Stefano

PS: when selecting a new relay, pick one that has a resistor across the coil's terminals. This avoids overvoltage spikes that could damage the control electronics. Not all relays have this.

25. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek