488 - Pista wheel bolt question | FerrariChat

488 Pista wheel bolt question

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Art138, Aug 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I was going through the spec sheet for my Pista in an effort to determine if the wheel bolts come Titanium as standard. Anyone know?

2. MarkTodd

MarkTodd Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Titanium as standard.

LVP488, Il Co-Pilota and Art138 like this.
  3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Please pay attention to the torque specs and the fact they can seize. Have them checked regularly.

MarkTodd likes this.
  4. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Good to know.....

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    STOP! Hold on.

Please make damn sure you tighten them properly. Yes the manual says 100 nm, but that is too little.
    Here's a secret. Corsa Pilota cars have their wheel bolts at 135. This is also common for most other sportscars such as Porsche and Aston - many use even more.
    How do I know 100 won't work? Because I was in a 488 that lost a wheel in May. I then did some digging asking both Ferrari techs and other motorsport techs. All across the board was the consensus that the 100 nm number is absolutely nuts. It might work for a shopping car that puddles around, but not for a sportscar, and most certainly not a car that is tracked.

I also sent an inquiry to ARP just to get their take on it. They said the whole premise for those 100 nm is wrong. Ferrari spec 100 nm for both steel and ti bolts, but those two bolts have vastly different properties regarding stretch. Their opinion was that if a ti bolt needed 135, a steel for the same application should have at least 150.

That might explain why Porsche recommend 150 on some cars and why Mercedes recommend 180 for the AMG GT-R.

At any rate, that 100 nm number is pulled from a hat and has ZERO base jn reality. All the cases of 458/488 owners experiencing loose bolts and lost wheels speak their clear language. My dealer also torque to 135 nm for ti and not 100 nm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

Mine actually came tightened well beyond the specs. Initially we thought Ferrari screwed up.

7. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just an FYI, the torque spec listed in the 2020 F8 owners manual says 120 N/M, or about 88.5 Ft/Lbs

With Carbon Fiber wheels: 150 N/M or 110 Ft/Lbs

8. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Besides the stupid expensive $3000 Ferrari oem titanium bolts that come on a Pista... who makes top quality 2pc titanium bolts? I’ve seen many manufacturers from Novitec to brands I’ve not heard of on the internet......???

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Looks like they are starting to get with the program. But still, run at least 135.

MarkTodd likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The best ti bolts I know of, are from Hill. Like the Pista bolts, they are not two piece. They have moved away from that.

I like the Torx style bolts from Hill, very neat. Just remember to keep the top in the car for getting the wheels off and on. Few shops have a Torx top in that size. Luckily Hill supplies a top with a set of bolts.

SECRET and mdrums like this.
  11. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I was show Pista bolts at the dealer and those are 2 piece ..basically a cone washer.

12. Apatel219

Apatel219 Rookie

Nov 6, 2016
    Www.Exoticcargear.com check them out they also have longer bolts if you have spacers as well

13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Well, mine are not and I have not seen a Pista with two piece titanium bolts. The ones I've seen on the 812 GTS and SF90 are one piece too.

MarkTodd and mdrums like this.
  14. C.Bennett

C.Bennett Rookie

May 12, 2022
    Scotland
    After reading this thread and talking to my local official Ferrari dealer, they shared a photo of latest official specs for the 488 Pista wheel bolt torque from their system - so I thought I'd share them incase anyone else is looking for further clarification on what's already been posted above. The Pista "Reference Guide" manual mentions 100nm but that's out-dated and - as mentioned in previous posts above - should not be used. Here you go…

Forged Wheel (Front + Rear)
    Pre-tightening = 30 Nm
    Tightening = 120 Nm

Carbon Wheel (Front + Rear)
    Pre-tightening = 30 Nm
    Tightening = 150 Nm