10 Things I Hate about My 430 | FerrariChat

10 Things I Hate about My 430

Discussion in '360/430' started by Scottslaw, Aug 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Ok, absolutely love my new scud, but there are just a few downsides. So here it goes:
    1. The door strap/stop (infuriatingly) has only two detente positions: So minimally cracked open that not even my 6-year old daughter could gracefully exit/enter, or so wide open that the door will hit anything within a 30-foot radius.
    2. The engine bay is literally a vortex with its own black-hole like gravity that only applies to tiny, mayhem-causing, hard to see fasteners, clips, washers, sockets, or allen wrenches. I have literally shrieked in horror like an insane person after dropping a washer for the third time into the abyss, and now go to herculean lengths to construct bizarre net-like apparatus (apparatuses?) to catch any errant objects.
    3. And, speaking of that engine bay, its hard to look cool when you open your engine hatch after a spirited drive to show off the engine...using an oven mit (that is, until enough remnants of burnt finger skin has built up on the hatch to provide insulation sufficient to permit bare-hand touching).
    4. Oh yeah, another point about the engine bay. It simply cannot be good that after every drive it smells like my 12-year pyromaniac son has thrown a barbie doll, empty water bottle, and plastic beach shovel on a pile of smoldering campfire coals.
    5. It has literally taken me 4 weeks to fully comprehend (and recall correctly, on demand) the proper functioning of the AC “off button.” I literally had to resort to a mnemonic device to get it to stick (repeat after me: “when off is out, I won’t burn out”).
    6. The ECU reset procedure is undoubtedly more complicated than the launch sequence for an intercontinental ballistic nuclear missile: 30 seconds key in ignition, followed by 30 seconds in “on” position, 30 seconds back in “off” position, turn engine on after “Ok” signal (and accompanying horrifying beep), may have to hit key fob button if more than 120 seconds has elapsed up to this point, (in which case you are a moron for not following the sequence with exact precision), making sure no accessories are activated and there are no external inputs to, on, or even in the general vicinity of the car whatsoever (don’t even breathe or pass gas as that will upset the 02 level registration and throttle body calibration) and let idle for exactly 10 minutes while squeezing your hands between your armpits to avoid any impulsive or erratic arm movements that could screw up the sequence somehow. Oh yeah, car must be dead cold during all of this too.
    7. You know, the car was around $300k new so I guess a turn signal indicator that actually indicated which indicator is indicating when you want to indicate was probably just barely outside the development budget, or would have taken the purchase price out of the “sweet spot” for most new Ferrari buyers. Its no biggie though…reminds me of my super sophisticated 944…from 1986.
    8. Most my friends think I’m a total ****** now, as I feel compelled, despite my better judgment and keen awareness of my own imminent “douchey-ness,” to require my friends who have come to check out the car (or not) to wait while I excitedly remove a lug and force them to “feel how light it is” (because, said in a douchey voice, “it’s titanium you know, hee hee hee”).
    9. I bought an article of “Ferrari” branded apparel on ebay. I haven’t worn it yet but I’m starting to muster up the nerve. Apologies to all my Ferrari apparel-loving brethren who have already gotten over this hump….I’m just not there yet (but close, very, close).
    10. And finally, every unfamiliar noise, vibration, hesitation or smell prompts an immediate rush to F-Chat to research the no doubt terminal condition, followed by an urgent call to my mortgage broker to set in motion the process of securing an substantial Home Equity Line of Credit.

2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    #10 is a requirement for being in the cult !

Mauricio Endara, MRY, halr75 and 4 others like this.
  3. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Haha best post of the year so far. I only have a 360, but I have pulled over a dozen times during the middle of a drive asking myself "what the hell was that noise? Was it a rattle, a ticking, or my imagination" and I still haven't figure out my A/C in 3 years. I have resided to telling my wife "Italian cars don't have A/C, trust me"

Vipmn1, up4speed, imahorse and 5 others like this.
  4. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I hope #6 is sarcasm... I thought it was just turn the key on for 30 seconds, start the car and then let it idle for about 10 minutes then drive away or something like that...

5. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

I have seen multiple procedures posted, but this one (post No. 5 in the linked thread by Tazandjan) has come up frequently in addition to a few more simple ones. Complex means better right?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/not-following-the-aldous-voice-ecu-reset.504126/

6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    That thread is for the 360, maybe that's the difference. Sometimes reading threads it's very hard to see if something is 360 or 430, something are not common between the cars.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Welcome to the world of high end exotic sports cars.
    Maybe it's not a world you want to live in.
    But of course I own a 360 not the "troublesome" 430 you have...;)
    I can't say I "hate" anything about my car. Maybe sell the Scud and buy a 360 for less than half the price.

8. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

All in jest! Love the car, the feel, and the experience. Just poking fun at some of the idiosyncrasies!

9. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I can relate to a few of those. I've noticed that every time we're coming down a canyon and we smell brakes, I'm quick to assure my wife it's not us (and then I secretly panic that it might be my clutch).

As with all cars-with-personalities; it's the idiosyncrasies that give it its character.
    Somewhere, I did a write-up on a couple of exotics which I had just driven back-to-back at the racetrack, and the final net result was that the Ferrari was the car which made you feel like you;d earned it.... and like any partner, we overlook the quirks. (or love it all the more for them)

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    That is a hilarious post! Sums up Ferrari ownership and why ever faster electric cars will never replace our passions. Enjoy, and be happy you don't have an even more maddening older Ferrari!

jag-oo-r likes this.
  11. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Does the Scud have the typical F430 muffler graphic giving you the middle finger?

Manda racing likes this.
  12. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Yes indeed...but that is not the best graphic I have found...by a long shot. My Favorite? The icon on the emergency trunk release handle. Its like Ferrari is saying "if you are abducted by a serial killer and shoved in the trunk/bonnett/frunk for future dismemberment, pull this handle and run like hell!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, kingp0820, V8Fun and 10 others like this.
  13. DrPaul

DrPaul Karting

Dec 27, 2018
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Paul M. Strickler
    Great post! I definitely got a few chuckles out of those.

DOWORKFCAR likes this.
  14. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    I absolutely loved reading this!! I particularly loved #7 as I can’t for the life of me understand why they did this.

Thanks for the great post!!!

alum04org likes this.
  15. DOWORKFCAR

DOWORKFCAR Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2016
    This is hilarious. I remember buying my first Ferrari and telling myself, “oh well....this isn’t German....” but that’s what makes the Ferrari ownership so fun and exciting. Truly hand built with passion!

16. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Could be worse. You could be timing four sets of points in two distributors like we did in the olden days.

17. SRLC716

SRLC716 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 15, 2019
    Buffalo
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great post! Thanks for sharing! Self awareness and deprecation are scarce these days - enjoying the experience while not taking it too seriously is what it’s all about!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

obertRo, Radu and jag-oo-r like this.
  18. Pedrota

Pedrota Rookie

Feb 7, 2020
    Full Name:
    Badr tassi
    I must have read your post at least ten times , you must have been in another life ( or this one ) a stand up comedian . hilarious . BRAVO

jag-oo-r likes this.
  19. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Yep! I have my 360's dash out right now. All the big parts are fiberglass wrapped in leather and there are about a million fasteners. Rather than having fastening clips, a several connectors are kept from rattling by sticking them to things with sticky play-doh like stuff. It was also too much trouble to trim the zip ties on the wiring harness. :)

20. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    5, 7, and 10 made me laugh. Exotics do make a lot of noises that have been engineered out of "lesser" cars. After nearly 25 years of ownership, I still haven't bought any branded clothing except a hat. Seems to me non owners wear the stuff more than owners.

Dave

21. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This made me totally laugh out loud!!

22. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    How about that every car wants to race you because as soon as they see the Ferrari they become Andretti. And my personal favorite, regardless how far away you park with an infinite amount of spaces between you and another car, someone always parks right next to you!

23. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    The one good thing is that most idiots respect the Ferrari. Back in the 90's, I had a Lambo, I couldn't park it in public anywhere. There was bubble-gum, spit, snot and who knows what always left as a "gift" on the car.

24. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    Parking remotely doesn't work for me either. Somebody always pulls in next to me. Way out in the far reaches of the parking lot.

25. redsled

redsled Rookie

Jan 6, 2013
    PA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Ha! I recently saw a 430 nearly identical to mine pull into a local ice cream shop parking lot. Driver's door opened and the fella exited wearing a matching-red Ferrari-branded jumpsuit as he walked around to extract his blonde, much younger arm trinket from the passenger side. For a moment I cringed knowing our cars were nearly identical, but I was reassured that his didn't have the gated shifter.

Danedingerson and hardtop like this.