575 "F1 Gearbox Failure" Warning Light | FerrariChat

575 "F1 Gearbox Failure" Warning Light

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Aus308, Aug 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aus308

Aus308 Rookie

Aug 10, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sam Harmsworth
    Hi All,

I was hoping someone may have run into the following issue and may have some advice.

I currently own a 2002 575 with 20,000 miles on the clock. Intermittently the "F1 Gearbox Failure" light comes on and drops the car back into automatic mode. Some days it never happens and other days it happens often for which as you can imagine is very annoying. Has anyone else ran into this issue before? I pretty sure it is probably an old faulty/sticky sensor but I am not sure.

Thanks,

Sam.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The F1 fluid needs to be changed every three years, system bled, check for leaks, and run a self-test. If it has been a while, that may be a good starting point. My one F1 Gearbox Failure light was caused by a loose potentiometer, but it also caused a CEL. If you do not have that, servicing the system may fix it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Qavion and Aus308 like this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    One other slight possibility which can cause intermittent failure light is nudging (or vibration moving) the gear/reverse lever if the positivity pins are broken - there's a dedicated Hills replacement lever and many threads describing both the fault and the simple cure

Qavion and Aus308 like this.