Renault finally protests Racing Point | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Renault finally protests Racing Point

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Jul 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Williams is a customer as well. In a way Mclaren can play both sides with voicing support for the other teams involved in the appeal and not taking formal action as part of the group. Mercedes can still decide to leave, stay or not supply engines. In the statement Mclaren made clear they do not support copied F1 cars. I will not be disappointed overall with them. Zak has angered RP management nicely lol

They have to answer to higher powers in Manama!

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Williams doesn't have a chance in hell to challenge Mercedes in the coming years however. Mclaren will be much more concerned if they build a ggood car but aren't allowed certain engine modes by their engine suppliers..

ingegnere likes this.
  3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Sad that Mercedes have clearly bullied Mclaren and Williams to not protest so guess there is dirty washing

stavura, furoni, ingegnere and 2 others like this.
  4. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And now Williams is not protesting either.
    Yep. Can't get more obvious...

stavura, fil, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Mercedes with Toto (and Stroll off-stage) running the table. Welcome to Formula 1, what a bloody farce it has become?

stavura, fil, furoni and 2 others like this.
  6. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    F1 mysteriously moved Concorde agreement bonus deadline to 18th august and final deadline 31st august...only one that didn't sign? You guessed it...

fil likes this.
  7. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Be interesting to see who will enlighten us on the amount of dirt..................

8. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    This is getin out of hand, This is the time we can see why Ferrari has a veto, and how a srong hand is missed at his elm. Marchione was not a good thing but he wouldn't be pushed around like this.
    However, it's known that new mercedes Boss doesn't like Toto's influence too much, so he is going to burn himself one of these days.
    Toto and Stroll are a cancer for f.1s sake.

Bas likes this.
  9. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 the prognosis is not good.

Bas likes this.
  10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Claire Williams, Andreas Seidl and Zak Brown know which way their bread is buttered.

It's a bad idea to piss off your engine supplier !!!

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  12. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

Do you guys realize Stroll has a very strong relationship with Ferrari? He owns a dealership and the Mont Tremblant circuit.... where they have the Ferrari driving academy..... not to mention all his vintage 1 off Ferrari race cars.

I don’t think he would go out of his way to criticize Ferrari, unless he felt very strongly about this situation.

tifosi12 and william like this.
  13. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales

Yes, most of us here on F1 FChat know this already.

Plus his son Lance went to the FDA (Ferrari Drivers Academy).

Stroll Sr. wants his son in a top tier F1 team....but since those seats are taken....he's trying a more costly route to make sure his son achieves that....even having copied last years Mercedes (W10).

Flavio_C and 375+ like this.
  14. Metastable

Thing I don’t understand is why would they pick on “legal” brake ducts that were used by RP in 2019, if supposedly the entire 2019 Mercedes was copied? That just doesn’t make sense to me.

15. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The "legal" brake ducts were illegal.

Read the first page of this thread

crinoid, stavura, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  16. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Don´t worry: nobody understands this and it doesn´t make sense to anybody, except to Stroll Sr. and Toto Wolff.

fil likes this.
  17. Metastable

If I understand this mess, the brake ducts were not listed parts in 2019 and were used by racing point in 2019. The brake ducts became listed parts in 2020, after RP had already used the duct design in a previous year. If that is the case, the choice of Renault to go after RP for the brake ducts makes it sound like sour grapes.

william likes this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    The FIA has concluded that Racing Point brake ducts are illegal per Renaults initial protest because of the time lapse.

375+ likes this.
  19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    What I find puzzling is why the FIA has fined RP and deducted them points, BUT allows them to keep those brake ducks .

It seems to me that the FIA is trying to please both sides.

20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    ..ilegal but they can still use them...o well

william likes this.
  21. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep, the incentive is there to "cheat" given the points deduction and fine.

fil likes this.
  22. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    Are you sure that he is owns the Ferrari dealership? In regard of the "Ferrari Drivinb Academy" in Mont Tremblant, it was "launched" only when Lance was part of the FDA.

I think nowadays his relationship limits to his car collection, nothing else.

23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I suppose the FIA could have said: "Your brake ducts are illegal and the car cannot participate in that configuration". .
    Racing Point would be unable solve that problem during a weekend, and that would have reduced the field to 18 cars, until they comply.
    Or they let them run and disqualify them from the result.
    It looks like the FIA has chosen the soft option, maybe because they think the case against Racing Point isn't waterproof and could be overturned on appeal?
    It that was the case, returning 15 points and $400,000 is possible, but a non-participation couldn't be repaired.

24. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I can smell a conflict of interests here ...

Javin.P likes this.
  25. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I have wondered if the design of the rear break ducts perhaps Are heavenly integrated with some other systems that give the Mercedes some of its extra performance and RP simply risked it because they can’t simply redesign it without compromising performance. Like maybe it’s part of a proprietary systems that Merc designed that’s above their heads a bit. Ferrari and the other teams know it’s benefit or have an educated guess and are calling foul...?