Recall action PTU on Lusso & FF | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Recall action PTU on Lusso & FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. officeline

officeline Rookie

Jul 23, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank Vancauwenberghe
    Hello papou

I like the concept of a lighter 4WD in the first four gears, you don’t need 4WD once going fast. Unlike you might think, I am very found at the brand Ferrari, I am a true believer, If they would guaranty me that my Lusso works, I would again drive it all day. In my eyes the problem is not the product but the management that lacks responsibility. Afterall the solution is at hand there is only the unwilling of the management to solve the problem. Like usual this is a discussion about money, customer satisfaction has no place in there mind. For me Ferrari is the good guy, we should shoot at the bad management, maybe better leadership is necessary.

2. officeline

officeline Rookie

Jul 23, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank Vancauwenberghe
    To All

I spoke to my lawyer and he proposes to make up a letter which everybody can use who owns a Lusso or FF to safeguards his right in the case something goes bad with the PTU and motor or something has already gone bad. Everybody can fill in his name chassis number and send it collect to Marinello. This is important to everybody and makes us strong as one group.

3. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #28 Albert-LP, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Hi Franck, I don't want to be unpleasant, I just want to warn you a bit about what you will face.

V8T Lusso is lighter and has a better handling than the V12: the engine is much shorter, a feature that improves handling. This said, a V12 has a sound and an appeal that no V8 can have, so I understand very well why you prefer the V12. The V8T is not more dangerous than the V12: let the controls on and won't have any problem, nowhere. Power is more or less the same: the V8 has more power up to 3-4000 RPM, the V12 has more power above 6000 RPM.

Ferrari is not a common carmaker and doesn't follow common rules: they don't like who makes mess and leads some sort of class complain or something like that. Be careful, they can be very unpleasant, if your complains are too much "heavy". This doesn't mean you cannot complain, of course: everyone here knows that the PTU design is not flawless. But this is a public forum, and everyone can read this, Ferrari too. They have tons of lawyers ready to answer your one: "Dear sir, your precious Ferrari GTC4Lusso is a race derived supersport car and the wear of some parts can be higher than a common city car, so leading to a maintenance necessity more severe that in a common car. In any case we cover every problem, at our fully expense, during the warranty period, as law requires. You can read in the warranty conditions section what your warranty covers and all the exceptions. Best regards."

Let me say that the 4WD system they use is a thing I don't like at all: you lose the 4WD from the fifth gear. A total stupidity in my opinion: it's not a tractor, it's a Ferrari.
    As there is not a mid diff or a visco joint, front transmission doesn't ever turn at the same speed of the rear (you have two speed at the front gearbox and four in the rear gearbox, they doesn't match by far), so you have a clutch that tries to match the two speeds, with much wear and heat. It's (in my opinion) the worst design I have ever seen on a Ferrari: hope they will change it in the Purosangue (that is the Lusso replacement).

ciao

4. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    I will email you. I am counting the days or the miles when it hits me.

5. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    PTU doesn't engage in Sport and Comfort mode.
    I believe it only works in snow and rain mode.

6. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Not sure that’s true.

350MH83 and Albert-LP like this.
  7. HBstig

HBstig Karting

Nov 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    HBstig
    Check out my Instagram under dtmhaus.
    I recently had the pleasure of testing this theory out.
    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Bundy likes this.
  9. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    While we all feel indignant towards Ferrari myself included let’s remember Ferrari has never taken any notice of the owner’s needs,
    We the owner’s have been dealing with the sticky parts issues for the last three decades.
    I never like being negative about my beloved Ferrari, but let’s face it this new battle ain’t going anywhere.So let’s support the independent
    shops and be grateful there is hope.

It wasn't me, otakki, 350MH83 and 2 others like this.
  10. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I got a time capsule 348 TB from 1989 (a car that never got rain in its life and never touched anywhere, looked like as it had been produced the day before) and it had the sticky plastics problem (100% of the car has): it was very easy and cheap to solve the problem (with a black paint). If they didn't cover this...

Ciao

11. FFantastic

FFantastic Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    UK Riviera
    It engages in Ice, Wet, Comfort and Sport but not in 'All Off' . Also the rear wheel steering does not engage in Snow Chain Mode which can be used in Ice, Wet, Comfort and Sport.
    The idea was not to turn it into a tractor or a 4x4 Rally car but to give traction in bad conditions like snow and ice and extreme wet when the first 4 gears are important for control. plus kilo for kilo the system is half the weight of a transfer box and another prop shaft and diff.

Ice driving with Ferrari on the Frozen Lakes in Austria and in the Alps convinced me you can go anywhere at anytime of the year and have control, even climbing a ridiculous gradient to a remote cafe on packed snow and ice ............in a Ferrari for Christs Sake. Not so in the V8 Lusso which will freak you out on an ice bound Alpine Pass. I've tried it and the front scitters and the back wants to break loose as soon as you floor it. Great car though it is, it was designed to beat the Tax issues in the Far East and Malaya not as a more sporty version of the V12, brisk though it is. Horses for courses.

I seen V12 Lussos blasting off the line scrabbling for grip with the PTU working overtime to compensate for crap driving. It is a Grand Tourer 'par excellence' not a track day weapon and i can see why some PTUs give in. Very bad luck to those who respect their cars and still have had issues but to repeat. Meridien Modena has still not had an issue with any they have sold or service and at 7.5k to rebuild it by a privateer I can't see what the problem is.

It wasn't me, otakki, 350MH83 and 5 others like this.
  12. officeline

officeline Rookie

Jul 23, 2019
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank Vancauwenberghe
    Hello Papou,

I agree/ follow you partially on our beloved Ferrari, but did you see this article about Ferraris revenus.

https://www.hln.be/auto/zoveel-wagens-moeten-andere-merken-verkopen-om-de-winst-per-auto-van-ferrari-te-evenaren-en-het-zijn-er-veel~a4582057/

For each new car Ferrari produce, another car manufacture has to produce around 30 to 50 cars to gain the same profit. So Ferrari produces today around 10.000 cars a year, another car manufacture must produce 500.000 cars a year to compete, dazzling isn’t it.

So they have more than enough profit, this is about being honest with your customer. Me and all you owners payed big bucks for this car so it has to be right. The outcome of this first lawsuite can be that any owner of a FF or Lusso in Belgium is entitled to order a fix at Furlonger or Ferrariernie. The other countries can than easly follow once the outcome of the first lawsuit is clear.

If you see how much Furlonger and FerrariErnie charge four upgrading your car it is a fraction of the gain they earned selling you this car.

If I keep my Lusso which I deeply like, I want it to be an operational car and once it is out of warranty I will upgrade it even with the current PTU inside which might work today but certainly will fail tomorrow.

Again it is not about the product it is about the attitude or mismanagement.

13. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    1oo% agree, when I say "my beloved Ferrari" it’s not my car but all Ferrari.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    My wives Cayenne Turbo PTU failed at around 30k miles the dealership replaced it under warranty no problem of course it was under warranty and I think this happens fairly often ...
    and if it is failing on the Porsche it will also fail on the AUDI , Bentley, Lamborghini , and Volkswagen as they are all built on the same platform ....
    seems like this should be something these guys could fix....

Bundy likes this.
  15. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    can you post the video for people who do not have Instagram. Would love to see the PTU Engagement debate put to rest.

otakki likes this.
  16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Does the PTU disengage only when it is in "all-off", or also in Comfort/Sport/Off settings?...I would really like to know.

It shouldn't be that difficult finding out when the PTU engages: Put it on a 4-points lift, and observe while going through the mannetino.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Or Lambo or a Porsche. They seem to do a better job of backing up their product.

18. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    It's definitely engaged in all modes from Ice to Sport. For CT OFF, I am not sure as I very rarely use it.

otakki and Albert-LP like this.
  19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The 4WD system is operative in the ESC OFF mode. The E-Diff also remains active in this mode.

20. Magnus Grande

Magnus Grande Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Magnus Grande
    Hello Lusso owners.

I get failure in my 2019 Lusso Ptu. Km now is 25200km. Only use the car for kindergarden ans school. No hard driving.

Get replaced with no question asked,and we have 5 year warranty in all new cars in Norway.

Get the car back today and will update when more issues arriving.

21. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    I guess the general consensus is the PTU/4WD operates in all modes' gear 1-4.

350MH83 likes this.
  22. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands

Hi Magnus,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for letting us know about yout PTU failure. At least it's under warranty although there are now a couple of third party engineering fixes which have been developed in the UK and USA for those cars which are out of warranty. I have added your case to the database I'm keeping and if you're interested, the results are in the ' PTU design flaw' thread. You'll see that your experience is a bit of an outlier, but then again, so are the kilometres you've done in just one year! Keep going :D

23. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I was always 100% confident that it was the case until I stumbled upon this article yesterday: "When in Snow, Wet, and Comfort modes, the GTC4Lusso makes the PTU from its 4RM EVO system available for extra traction. Otherwise, it’s completely off in Sport and ESC Off,".

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/five-crazy-technologies-in-the-2018-ferrari-gtc4lusso/

I'm not saying that's the truth because to me it would make sense that the 4RM is engaged in all modes, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

24. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Bundy likes this.
  25. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name: