488 - To Pista or not?? | FerrariChat

488 To Pista or not??

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Condor Man, Aug 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Here is my dilemma.....

I have a 488 - 2018 with 3,000 and really enjoy it for mountain passes.

Should I upgrade to a Pista or keep the 488 and buy a 2019 GT3 RS?

I have owned every RS made aside from the current one and I do love them.

Dollar for dollar the equation is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LARRYH and SECRET like this.
  2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #2 Shadowfax, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    This is a tough one because both 3rs.2 and Pista are good in a mountain pass environment. It all comes down to what you are looking for from the experience. I found that between these two I was more able to use the power and rev range in the 3rs, and the power it has is more usable and more than what you will ever need anyway. The sound of the 3rs is also more satisfying I found as is the precision gear shift along with having more locked in seating and a better general ergonomic. Im not meaning to discount the Pista as it is an amazing car but its just that the 3rs is so damn resolved and compelling to drive through the tight stuff so I would have to rate it as being the more satisfying as a sensory driving experience on these types of twisty winding roads. The Pista will devour straights faster and feels more composed at higher speeds but in the hills you can very rarely stretch the engine right out between the bends without it becoming twitchy (where you are holding it in a lower gear unnecessarily for the sake of embellishing what sound it can make) so you find yourself mainly using the revs up to a point and using the low end torque of the engine more rather than revving the crap out of it. The shifts in the Pista - although great in certain conditions - can throw the car off balance sometimes from the bucking and general twitchiness of the controls where the 3rs feels more hardwired to your brain, obedient to every command - the controls so damn precise.

The Pista is a far better car to drive than the gtb - no question there - but in many ways its still very much a 488 - and you feel that the moment you get behind the wheel and drive it. It's just more resolved in ways where the 488 really should have been to begin with vs the 3rs which is just a whole different experience altogether being such an accomplished yet raw hard core experience when the hammer is really dropped.

Knowing you wont get much back on a 488 these days I'd probably hold on to it and add the 3rs.2 rather than liquidating it and putting it all toward a Pista. That said it is a tough one though as the look and allure of the Pista and it being the more forgiving road car does make it very attractive. And the sheer power of it is amazing. BUT in series of tight bends with a mix of straightaways the 3rs is the pick imo. That engine and gearbox and the precision of the controls and brake feel. Hard to top. I don't fancy your dilemma.

3. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    gt3 rs, pista is too mileage sensitive imo

Condor Man likes this.
  4. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    You still say that the 3 is more engaging than the 2? basically the 2 is just faster but that’s it?!

5. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    This is a really good write up and analysis/critique. The only observation where I’d disagree is the comment about the Pista being the more forgiving road car. I think the RS wins that battle.

I find the RS seats to be more comfortable for longer drives. The exhaust on the Pista is a bit boomy on the highway and the RS has a better ergonomic setup. I’ve done 1000+ mile rallies in both and the RS is the lesser fatiguing car for me.

The OP mentioned mountain drives but didn’t mention which mountains/elevation. I’ve had the RS at 9000/10,000 feet of elevation and the power loss is notable - not so much that the car isn’t fun but I’m definitely aware of it. Haven’t had the Pista that high but have got to assume the turbos will handle the thinner air much better.

Given where the OP sits, having a 488 already, I’d add a 3RS. I think you’ll really enjoy going back and forth between the cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Yeah, 3RS and 488 offer two disparate and epic driving experiences. Why not have both?

7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I used to have this exact combo and as much as I love my Pista, i think for driving purposes and long rides, I would vote for the two cars instead of just the one. I’m a fan of variety and the variety of the 488 and 3rs is very complimentary to each other.

The 488 is like a wide receiver, that flies down the straight line. The 3rs- more line a running back that weaves in and out of traffic.

Having owned the 488 and 3rs and now the Pista, I say get two cars instead of the one.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

VAF84, IloveGT, Rembrandt and 11 others like this.
  8. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    @Condor Man - Do you use the 488 for any other purpose today besides mountain drives?

9. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
    3RS

Condor Man likes this.
  10. DRPM

DRPM Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Montreal Quebec
  11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #11 Shadowfax, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    No there is more to the 2. Its definitely more car than a 3 and again has its own charactor and advantages but its whether those advantages are necessary on a mountain pass that is debatable.
    The 2 is a car that will make you question your skill set and requires a level of trust you need to ask yourself at times are you prepared to give. This could also be said about other very fast cars but the gt2 can seduce you into this position with its amazing precision and feeling of connection where you find yourself questioning how far you can or should you take it. Its a car that needs a lot of respect and commitment. And it can bite, as i have found. I keep getting told by those who can master the beast to trust the car which involves using the airo over the mechanical grip. The 2 is a very challenging car. It takes more commitment than a 3 and it can put yhe fear of god into you its so fast and powerful yet so balanced for a 911. Its definitely a level or 2 over a 3 and for this reason - similarly is the case with a Pista in some ways - which makes you think do you really need any more than a 3rs.2 when its all said and done. I keep switching my answer to that from no - after driving the gt3 - to yes everytime i get back into the gt2. The Pista otoh does not evoke the same level of fear and probably excitement too even though its a very exciting car.
    What Pista lacks in precision gt2 delivers and vice versa. Both brilliant and exciting in their own ways.
    3rs.2 is more accessable yet satisfies in all the areas which count so its a car you would be hard pressed beating as a car in a mountain pass environment as it has more than what is required for that job. Its an amazing machine. Also keep in mind the improvement in 3rs.2 over 3rs.1 are significant in a similar vein as how Pista is an improvement over GTB.
    I think that point is worth mentioning.

bluesea and tekaefixe like this.
  12. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thank you Shadowfax for your in-depth review and comments.

Everything you say is totally right and what I really knew to be the answer.

For me I love driving the absolute wheels of the 488 and nothing gets my juices flowing more than turning CT Off and driving the car to it’s full potential. Especially hitting a corner so hard and fast that the tires protest and then exiting whilst managing the throttle and the steering.... this is the ultimate reward. The 488 to me is bloody rewarding and crazy fast!

Having raced Porsche Carrera Cup/GT3 Challenge for 2 years I learnt to love the precision of a GT3 and these cars always feel like the seating position and controls are simply perfection! Absolutely made for maximum attack!

Back to the GTB.... the only thing I don’t like is the look. The Pista is perfect from every angle.... the 488 unfortunately has some angles that I don’t like.

Thanks once again for your advice!

Shadowfax likes this.
  13. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is a very good point and I do like to drive!

14. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Thank you.

There is not altitude concern as the roads are around Angeles Forest Highway.... Malibu Canyon and some others around Los Angeles.

Basically where Matt Farrah takes his cars for road reviews. It’s fast I have never seen a cop once.

VAF84 likes this.
  15. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    And there is the answer. Nothing more.... Nothing Less.

Thank you

SoCal to az likes this.
  16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I might take it down to Newport Beach or out to dinner sometimes.

For daily driving I have a DBS Superleggera which is also a mental long distance touring car and 2020 G63 which is simply tough.

17. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
  18. Terrence

Terrence Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2004
    Hawaii/LA
    Full Name:
    Terrence
    I like your lineup!

19. ScudLife

ScudLife Karting

Nov 19, 2012
    SoCal
    RS does it all. Not the amazing looks of a Pista but will check most of the boxes. I always grab mine for longer drives.

20. Quality over quantity.

Get the Pista.

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I currently own both a 488GTB and 991.2GT3 RS WP and they make a perfect pair..Of course if i had the means i'd prefer a Pista alongside the RS however in my case beggars can't be choosers..:(
    Twin turbo 488 complements the 9k NA screamer of the RS as they offer different flavours depending on mood..Both amazing cars to own together..However if i felt compelled to own one instead of both it'll be the Pista every time.

Gh21631 and Condor Man like this.
  22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #22 Shadowfax, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Sorry missed your points. Yes you are right rockminster with the seat comfort being better in the 3rs. I was referring to Pista being more forgiving in the context of driving during regular lower speed street driving and, being easier to get in and out of the seats.

My last run in the 3rs was a 2500 km mountain pass run which involved the climb and decent of a number of peaks where our tight group racked up between 500 to 650 km per day on average. Elevation was up to 900 meters. I did notice some minor power loss toward the peaks but overall the car was never short on power whenever it was needed. I was in awe with the car and how it performed and how satisfying overall it was to drive. It is a proper machine and so well sorted. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was tbh. Since then I've done a handful of track days in it but I regularly reflect upon the unforgettable memories of that 4 day run. I honestly couldn't fault the car in any way and for that reason alone I would rate it extremely highly.

PS. Condor Man you are on the right track with the 3rs.2. As a driving machine it will not disappoint. What it may lack in the turbo thrust and overtaking ability of the Ferrari it will make up in spades in all other areas. The connection and precision is borderline ridiculous. Those boys in wiessach sure know how to make a car.

23. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Would you say the 2 is the more engainging of the 3 cars?

24. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    Not even close add GT3 have fun

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #25 Shadowfax, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    As I've mentioned the gt2 feels more car than a 3rs.2 and has a very angry feel about it from the time you start it. You dont need to be going fast in a Gt2 to feel it has serious intent where the Gt3 you do need to push it a bit to get it angry. The Pista feels gentler than a Gt2 but more purposeful than a Gt3 at lower speed. The Pista has its own unique feel and I really like it so please don't get the impression it is bad or less of a car. They are all very good cars and very rewarding to drive so I guess it comes down to personal preferences to which is the more rewarding. But they are all close in that area. The precision and communication of the controls, the general ergonomic and seating, and MI functionality are better in the GT cars and the brakes have better feel and modulation. The steering feels more organic and true as well but that could be down to PIsta's factory alignment settings where they are trying to create some twitchy false sporty feel - which is unnecessary IMO. As a drivers car (imo) the 2 GT cars are ahead of the Pista in terms of being honed as a package but the Pista is an exceptional handler and still very very fast and aggressive and sounds more than good enough in it's own right contrary to what many others on Fchat have said.

If I had to shake one of my Gt cars it would be the Gt3. The Gt2 is an extremely rewarding drive and, equally as rewarding if not more so in most key respects as the gt3 - including the sound, and will eat the gt3 for breakfast on the open road. I take by your comments there is no way you could have driven a Gt2rs.

Spider68 and Condor Man like this.