488 - 430/458 vs 488 sound | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 430/458 vs 488 sound

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by RichardCH, Aug 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    how come a dead horse is revived!?

2. gmo28

gmo28 Rookie

Apr 14, 2019
    I dont understand the point of these debates.

docsmr, SoCal to az, IloveGT and 2 others like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Pista sounds so terrible, I sold it immediately.
    To each their own of course.
    The V10 Lambo’s are really the best though.

xfrgtr and IloveGT like this.
  4. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Plug the exhaust and 488 sounds very good, sure 458 might sound slightly better but falls far below in every other category and looks very dated

5. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You always reply to this damn topic so eloquently !!!! Why after 5 years its still a debate and not understood I just don't know

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  6. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    Seriously, who really cares? I absolutely love the sound of my 458 but any Ferrari is so much better than most other cars it doesn’t matter. Love the one you have. Don’t waste your time dissing someone else’s preference- it’s a waste of time. We all love the cars, each to their own. For f’s sake, people. I wish I could have one of each model!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    +1.

OSUFerrari looks like he's flipping his F8 in a minute after getting CEL from the Capristo so sound is a dealbreaker for some of us.

8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Disagree. AMG GTR and GT2 RS sound better than stock 488.

xfrgtr and IloveGT like this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

YES/NO its more to do that the promised will work no CEL with the Capristo hasnt

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    This! How many more of these silly threads are we gonna have?

pizzadude, gmo28 and IloveGT like this.
  11. Ruffinit

Ruffinit Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Shir
    Most people here buy what they like as they can afford to do that...hence people who have the 488 think it is better and people who have the 458 think it’s better..it’s that simple..you can bash any car..no car is immune to negative comments...having said that I agree the 488 has a special sound and not to mention crazy power..aston v8 sounds beautiful but may get beat by a soccer mom suv who’s not even trying...lol

IloveGT likes this.
  12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    okay, flame suit on. I will add that my Alfa 4c spider with akrapovic exhaust option also sound better than stock 488 as well.

xfrgtr likes this.
  13. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    25 more in a year.

rttj777, tekaefixe and gmo28 like this.
  14. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    This by far is the best and most interesting thread of the 865 488 vs 458 sound threads on this website.

The other 864 threads had some good information and I was so close to making a decision on which car sounds best but there was something missing.

I am so glad we have this one additional thread because I finally have the answer as to which car sounds best.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the information contained within these pages. I can finally sleep tonight because trying to figure out which car sounds best was keeping me up endlessly.

Texas2step, docsmr, Radu and 7 others like this.
  15. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Ain’t that the truth!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SECRET likes this.
  16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    My kids showed me a picture on their iPad the other day and asked me what color I saw.

100% it was lime and grey however others in the room saw pink and grey.

This has something to do with the left side of the brain working compared to the right side of the brain.

Regarding your comment about the 488 sound for this one I am going to say that one side of you brain doesn’t work like my brain works!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SECRET likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Richard. You must be bored :). I guess Covid got us all bored.

SECRET likes this.
  18. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    ROFL. Let's make sure these guys don't wander over to my car thread with all the drama on the controller.

Let's just put it this way, with a 488/Pista/F8, IMHO, you need an exhaust valve controller or you need to find a way to get the valves pinned open during deceleration and light acceleration. Makes a world of difference.

Most videos out there are not doing a great job recording the sound of the 488/Pista/F8. If you're trying to choose, go to a dealer and listen to it in person. Hearing it idle in front of you and driving the car yourself makes you realize you're trading the 9k RPM shrill for some seriously seriously deep tonal low end, and still an amazing top end.

As with all things, there are tradeoffs... and then there's always something better... for more money.

scott61 likes this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Having owned both and Pista, I disagree. 488 cannot sound close to the epic na’s.

xfrgtr likes this.
  20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Doesn’t sound like you drove your Pista hard enough to enjoy the sound it makes. On a spirited canyon run it is intoxicating. As far as raw, mechanical engine sounds, I much prefer the Pista to the 458. As far as exhaust sounds running through a tunnel, the 458 wins, but is NOT even close to what the 812 sound does. Always considered the Yamaha tuned exhaust to be the most superb aural stimulus, but the 812 with a Novitec and X pipe may be my all-time winner. I like the sound of the Lambo V10, but that’s about all I liked about it. Couldn’t deal with the VW interior.

Dicecal likes this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

While were at it the sound of the GMA T-50 IS AWESOME THE BEST AND NO ONE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO MATCH IT .

Well im 99.999 % it will be , haven't heard it yet.

Alright so don't question which is better just go out a buy the T-50

22. FHFP

FHFP Rookie

Mar 5, 2020
    Full Name:
    F H
    Gather from the posts, seems this topic comes up often enough.
    I've owned the Italia, Speciale and Pista - of which I personally prefer the Italias sound over the other 2. I find sounds continue to evolve depending on the type of driving you subject the cars to.
    As for sublime Ferrari V8's of past, nothing makes me smile like an F355's scream.
    As for the sound of moderns cars - they are all manipulated and frankly some of them are offensive. I've noticed many AMG's, BMW and in fact Lamborghinis of late with these annoying and irritating sounds like some boy racers car. As long as Ferrari don't follow, I'm okay with whatever the turbo or NA sounds their cars spit out.

xfrgtr and ShineKen like this.
  23. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Your hearing must be shot.

24. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #49 AlfistaPortoghese, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    If we are to have these discussions regarding sound from time to time, and if we can establish that from an engineering point of view, turbocharged cars in general and as a whole are no match for their naturally aspirated counterparts (classic case of apples and oranges if there ever was one), I’d like to know your opinion regarding this:

Instead of comparing the 458 and the 488, how does the 488’s sound fare against its contemporary turbocharged competitors? Within its own league, how good is the 488’s sound against other turbocharged super sports cars?

I don’t know what you guys think, and of course our own experience and ownership record may vary greatly, but the way I see it, the 488 is the best sounding turbocharged car in its category.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

25. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I agree and as far as i'm concerned the end of the matter..Turbos should be only compared to Turbos and likewise for NA engines..Both great sounding cars albeit different..My 488 sounds so much better than any Turbo Porsche and with much less lag as a bonus.

AlfistaPortoghese and wrs like this.