F8 exhaust options. GPF delete | Page 5 | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust options. GPF delete

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by LMH, May 23, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I know you are asking abut another model but for reference I have the Capristo valve controller on my F12 and it works fine, no issues whatsoever.

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the issue is newer models have computer control over the valves and thus the system can see if the valves are in their correct position at any time. If they are not, then you get a CEL. Whereas the older valved models the system functioned without looking for any kind of feedback.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. pvgtv

pvgtv Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    AK
    exactly. I was curious to see if anyone has had issues after installation of capristo.

4. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Arnie says it works fine (they have a bypass to avoid cel). Mine should be Installed late next week. Fingers crossed.

Cigarzman likes this.
  5. pvgtv

pvgtv Rookie

Sep 5, 2013
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    AK
    I had it installed. So far so good. No CEL.

Cigarzman, LMH and OSUferrari like this.
  6. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    JTSE30 likes this.
  7. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I had this installed by dealership this week. Went on 30 min drive - no issues. Today went on 2 hour drive - issue. Got the dreaded CEL. Guess it Is back the dealership and have it removed. So bummed.
    I heard Capristo guarantees it will work - so hoping they will at least refund me that portion.

Maybe I will have to trade for a pista.

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I questioned the legitimacy of the unit a week ago on this thread and dare say as I said it made no sense that it wouldn't throw a CEL.

I guess you bought it on recommendation and positive customer report.

Ild be asking a for a total refund, unit and installation costs at a MINIMUM. Unless there was an installation error they should refund all of it if the back what they say as guaranteed not to throw a CELL

Shadowfax likes this.
  9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #109 Shadowfax, Aug 10, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    I've been wondering when the honeymoon was going to end and someone was going to come forward. I honestly didn't see how the Ferrari tech here could have got his advice wrong given it came directly from the Ferrari engineers who designed the system but like anyone I thought OK let's wait and see. And here it is. I know the techs at the workshop here won't fit one on an F8 unless they have it in writing the customer will pay for the install and the removal of it once it throws. I'm just surprised how over in the US none of the techs seem to be aware of the new system and how it works. Amazing. The training must be very minimal over there in some parts. When I mentioned to the tech the other day while discussing Secrets issue I bought it up how over in US apparently they are fitting controllers successfully on F8's and he said it doesn't add up given the fail safes now built into the GPF systems. But I guess no harm in trying if you are prepared to pay for the install and removal etc.

MANDALAY likes this.
  10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

It wasn't making sense to me at all. Especially the different requirements the F8 with the GPF has. Certainly different to past Ferraris. Certainly would want a full refund policy including installation and removal if a CEL came on to buy one of these items. I guess they wont do it so they should explain why there unit will work 100%. BTW has Steve worked this one out yet ?

11. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Above is the schematics of the F8. NOTE : The system still has Silencer with the GPF. One the previous page you can see the ROMA has the GPF but has eliminated the silencer.
    Hum this has got me to think : Why have the bloody silencer in the F8 ????. If you look at the after market exhausts like the Capristo for the 488/Pista they are eliminated.
    So lets eliminate the silencer and plumb X pipe one side before valve to other side after valve and vice versa.
    GPF still stays in place and it can do it regeneration crap and works as if the valves are always open. Sound should go up have no cel.
    Only thing is l dont think there is enough room before the valve to well a larger diameter pipe.

12. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I would be interested with all the exhausts that have been changed with the 488 someone must have a stock system that has never been used/ worthless. It would be great to see what actually is in that silencer.

13. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Arnie , is the Capristo still working without throwing out CEL ? Apparently John is having issues. Best , Kirk.

14. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Spoke to Capristo today and I need to take it by dealer to get the code before they will do anything..........which is a total waste of my time but my fault for hoping this would work. Maybe it is ok on shorter drives but not worth the risk for me (don't want to have to fear taking car on long drive or getting the track and having issues)....

15. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    #115 cpiguy, Aug 10, 2020
    Wow John. Just saw this. I’ve been on 7 or 8 drives including one that was 1 1/2 hours long. Didn’t get a CEL. That’s so disappointing. As you know, Capristo confirmed in writing that I would not see a CEL.

Just saw your question Kirk. See my answer above. Knowing what John experienced doesn’t make me feel great.

16. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Once I have more info I will share. Not sure if the altitude here would have anything to do with it or not. Just not sure how soon I can get the car back to dealer.

17. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    If the CEL came on I believe there has to be a condition that will cause it to.

Definitely obvious Capristo hasn't had enough installations/ hrs to be 100% sure.

Dare say the guarantee for the unit would be only for the unit . The 1000's to install and then to remove will be on the owner :(

The way I see it, if no controller without ECU modification ( I would never do that ) can open the valve without a CEL the only solution would be to bypass the valve. I would never remove the GPF if it actually has sensors.

Like this Tubi for the 488 GTB but with the GPF still there and the silencer removed

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Remove the OEM silencer then bolt on a X pipe to join the 4 pipes.

18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    #118 JTSE30, Aug 10, 2020
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    I dare say the GPF are here to stay , Full Stop.
    The valves are controlled totally different than previous cars. It will be interesting if ANYONE can actually make a remote control without a CEL.
    So i can see the after market just being a X pipe removing the silencer.
    At least this way the valve is by passed , admittedly a thinner pipe , leaving all the OEM parameters/controls active.
    But your stuck with the OEM material , no stainless no Inconel UNLESS they make the GPF in these exotic materials also.

JTSE30 likes this.
  20. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I’m sure as time goes by there will be more solutions. I agree eliminating the silencer itself might be the best place to start, as it’s clearly removable being bolted between the GPFs. Looking closer at the GPF units themselves, there does seem to be some piping that runs from the front to the rear of the GPF. I’m assuming those run to the “sensing” units, which are not depicted.

MANDALAY likes this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Yep they are the pipes . They go to the sensors as per the link JTSE30 provided.

The one thing I have learned with the CAPRISTO is that if its like its unit for the Pista and its other units it is connected to the OEM electronics.

It isn't separate. I learned a long time ago IMO never play around with the OEM electrics, never.

Shadowfax likes this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
  23. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Nothing on their website. However looks like a tunning shop also. My 2 cents don't play around with the OEM electrics. If you wish to have well that's something that lays with the OEM electronics to delete the CEL well that's up to you. You never know what will happen in the future and also Ferrari warrantee

25. OSUferrari

Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I had Capristo on my first 458 with no issues for 2 years. But you may be right. I know this is a never ending debate but sound is high up on my list. I think I am going to put my F8 up for sale and look at other options. Just not sure what it will sell for Right now. Would be happy to get MSRP back but not sure that is possible