What are RPM shifting points if racing? | FerrariChat

What are RPM shifting points if racing?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Husker, Aug 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    So I am cautious by nature, and anyone who wants to beat me out of a light in my 360 will easily do so.

That being said, hypothetically, if the car was good and warm and you wanted to take on someone, how would you drive a 360 f1 out of a light? First gear, floor it, then go to what RPMs before shifting?

I think that the published 0-60 for the 360 was 4.2. If you wanted to duplicate that, would you have to take the thing to redline through gear 3 or 4?

2. ScudMarks

ScudMarks Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2018
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Matthew Mauer
    Well gear 4 would be more like 100 mph. I don’t 0-60 drag race anyone, but a few times I have bounced off the redline through every gear.
    I’m talking 8k+ rpm shifts, and my car seemed to love it. (I have a manual, not an F1, but I can’t imagine much of a difference. The 360 can take some abuse...just not neglect ;)

KC360 FL and EastMemphis like this.
  3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Your best shift point for acceleration is teetering over max hp during a shift. (hp at shift initiation is equal to hp at rpm drop into next gear)

For an F355 or 360 that means you would need a raised rev limiter to accomplish this, so stock, shift just short of the limiter and that's the best you can do.

In the 1/4, my 355 hits the limiter just before the traps at 116mph and change in 4th.

Skidkid likes this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Probably the best advice is to have the car put on a Dyno. I usually do this with all my cars. A capable guy can run the car through the gears and the printout will tell you exactly when (at what RPM) the engine stops producing power in each gear. This is a great way to determine your shift points. When I did that with my 911 it totally changed the feel of the car. And of course it wasn't any faster, just quicker by keeping in the power producing range of each gear. The first time I did the Dyno thing I was surprised that bringing the engine to the red line didn't mean that the engine was still making power because from the driver's seat it kind of felt like it did.

Of course with our Ferraris I'm sure each engine can be slightly different. And you may find that indeed the engine is still making power at the redline. Just kind of nice to know where the power is and where the shifts should be.

Not to mention hearing your car scream to the redline on the Dynometer in every gear as an observer is worth the price of admission:D

5. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I won’t ever try to find out on my car. I drive fine cars like i hold a china doll - just my nature. But this info is interesting. Thanks guys.