360 - 360 fighting it while accelerating? | FerrariChat

360 360 fighting it while accelerating?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 550nitis, Aug 8, 2020.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Maybe its me just going a little crazy, but do any of you find your self fighting the steering sometimes when accelerating? Seems that every-time I punch it or accelerate, I am trying to control the 360 if it was a horse almost (I get it) but trying to tame it versus it just going straight with all its might. Last time I felt this was in a Viper, not the best feeling.

Tonight I took it out on a "spirited" drive and noticed this. The alignment is good, the shop says the bushings are good? Am i missing something? Maybe go to 19 inch wheels?

Just doesnt seem it is driving right. Most cars I drive feel so much more stable under hard acceleration. My 997 feels so planted and connected during "spirited" drives.

Thoughts?

2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Are your front tires the recommended size?
    I know from experience that a larger front tire will hunt for a flat surface when the road has ruts. My old Porsche was like this until I reduced the size

3. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    I had the same problem when my steering rack went out.

4. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes, check for play everywhere and if the tyres have worn evenly, and, actually hard, out-of-date tyres can also contribute so check the date stamps.

5. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Check steering rack and tire pressure. Shouldn't be fighting it to drive it hard.

KC360 FL and 550nitis like this.
  6. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    interesting. I'm using a slightly larger size as I have the Michelin PSS.

7. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    Check your tire pressures. During a fun drive, I developed a slow leak in my right rear; when I accelerated hard I noticed the front of the car would pull to one side and when I changed gears, it would straighten out until I accelerated again.

Skidkid likes this.
  8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I’ll just add that it’s not normal.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Agreed, not normal. My 04 360 feels planted. Stock sized Michelin tires on it.

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Assuming you have confidence that the road surface is smooth and fairly uniform. Start with the easy stuff. Tire pressures (cold and hot), also check them for wear, age, symmetry etc. Next, transmission and motor mounts; both known to fail and cause torque steer. You say the flamblocs are good (check front and rear) be sure to check the tie rid ends as well. Alignment would be next, you say it is ok but what are the specs? If it is set up like a race spec and when was it checked? It will be a lot more twitchy than the stock alignment. If you lowered the car the alignment will have changed.

Just take a systematic approach and you will have it sorted quickly.

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    The Michelin's are amazing, doubt the issue is the tires. Feels like a suspension component.

12. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Thanks @Skidkid
    Roadside and driving wise is a check. Going to have my shop check the components. He did so about 6 months ago along with alignment but always had same issues.

The more I think about it I realize it is not normal. Has to be a bushing, tie rod and or engine mounts.

13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    2003 360 with 19" aftermarket wheels. 235-35 tires up front. Car never "hunts" or wanders. It runs out straight as an arrow on hard acceleration effortlessly.
    There's a problem if it doesn't.

14. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    the 360 doesnt have that much power ! my steering rack spindle went at 25 k miles

15. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Good to know. Part of me thinks the car could benefit from a 19 inch wheel.

16. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Just checked the tire pressure and some where off by 2 psi. At first I thought they were all really off as I am used to filling tires at 32 psi but checked here and looks like 26 front and 28 rear cold. Have to admit that at 26 the fronts do looks low. I know that tire pressure does play an important role but 2 psi would be interesting to see if makes that much a difference. My bet is on suspension bushings.

Tonight will go for another "midnight run" and will report back.

17. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I believe that unequal tire pressures (ie. 19lbs on the right -- 36 pounds on the left) can be problem but not so much a couple of pounds off all the way around or from side to side. My wheels are two piece wheels and I actually have a small leak in my right rear wheel that needs to be resealed. But I have actually left for a drive and forgot to check the pressure in that rear tire only to return home and check it in the morning with the tire cold and find that it was only 25 lbs.--- and still I had no real weird handling issues the night before. FWIW.

18. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    I second checking the tire pressure. I know this sounds stupid but my car would pull to one side under acceleration and kick back straight when I was off the accelerator. I thought I had a bent wheel and it was the simplest thing.... the rear tire on one side was 15 psi too low. I’m embarrassed to tell you the truth. Haha. I was over thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Sure enough it was the tire pressure. The manual states that it should be 28 rear And 26 front and this was it had with one tire being slightly off. I looked at the front tires and they just look low, so I filled all of them at 32 psi and problem solved. Car drives perfect, accelerates straight as an error under full open throttle. The manual states 28/26 for the Michelin Pilots but started thinking they are off as I have a wider tore up front and the PS are much different than when they tested them 17 years ago.

20. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My experience has been that the 360 can be quite sensitive to tire pressure. At least mine is. I had to let it sit for 6 months last year, and noticed right off that it wandered more than usual when it came out of storage. Tire pressure was 24 psi front and rear. There have been several topics about tire pressure for the 360.... IIRC most said 32/32 which is what I run in stock configuration tires for a 1999 model.

Skidkid likes this.
  21. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    With the 19" tires I have I up that by 2lbs in the front to 34lbs. and 4lbs to 36lbs in the rear tires (325-30-19). FWIW

22. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Nice. I'm going to try that set up. Makes sense to have extra 2 in the rear.

23. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Awesome! I’m glad it was something simple. Sometimes we tend to over think the simple things when it comes to a Ferrari. I know I did. We just have to take a step back and realize that this is also a car just like the rest of them and put it back into perspective.

550nitis likes this.
  24. Marcopolo3382

Marcopolo3382 Karting

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Marco Daniele
    Extremely sensitive

Skidkid likes this.