Wanted - WTB F8 w/ CarPlay | FerrariChat

Wanted WTB F8 w/ CarPlay

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by blabus, Jul 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Currently in the market for an F8 Tributo coupe, pretty flexible on options (with a preference for white or red exterior) but with the one requirement being Apple CarPlay. Also only interested in sellers asking MSRP, if you're looking to get a markup no need to contact me (my local dealer is selling two, both at MSRP, but neither are equipped with CarPlay).

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    May I ask why CarPlay is a must have?you’re making me rethink my spec.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    It's nothing specific to Ferrari, just that I always vastly prefer CarPlay's interface and apps to any manufacturer's built-in infotainment system. Maps is the main sticking point for me; I use navigation during 90% of my driving, and Apple/Google Maps are infinitely better than any built-in system (they have the best routing, the most accurate real-time traffic info, etc).

sampelligrino likes this.
  4. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    For a mere $4219 Option charge for Apple CarPlay, I chose not to add it..ridiculous.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Graz like this.
  5. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Indeed, it's completely absurd... and yet I value iOS maps so much that I'm still willing to pay it (and in fact insist on paying it). It does also make it a real pain when shopping used Ferrari, as the exorbitant price ensures nearly nobody actually specs it.

6. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    And this thread epitomizes the sad state of affairs of today's Ferrari [and cars] "enthusiasts"........ :(

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Careful man, remember when apple made its foray into maps and drove someone into a lake?

https://www.rustybrick.com/apple-maps-drove-me-over-water.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2012/09/27/apple-maps-six-most-epic-fails/#55dd589cdf9d

I'd stick with google maps if you want to make sure your F8 is safe.

8. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Nah, it represents my (and certainly many others') expectations for modern automobiles. My 991.2 GT3RS provides a much more raw and visceral driving experience than the F8, yet it comes with an excellent CarPlay implementation for a mere $300. I'm newly entering the Ferrari world but it's already becoming evident to me that the common excuse many Ferrari enthusiasts make for any shortcomings of the cars is that "it's irrelevant to the pure driving experience". Except it's not (or doesn't need to be) a zero-sum choice; plenty of cars offer both performance and convenience in today's market.

9. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Haha good times! I've been using Apple Maps exclusively for years now, and at least in the U.S. I now find them superior to Google Maps, but it will certainly take a long time yet for them to recover from that first impression.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  10. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Nah. I drive my Ferrari’s. I expect some usability or I’ll go vintage. In central Florida it was 100F. I expect my air con to work also.

Times change. For 300k, things gotta work. Carplay does not add any weight just $$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

The OP s thoughts are probably this..... It’s nice to have Apple CarPlay especially when someone else is has already paid for it. :)

12. angrybanker

angrybanker Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Is this meant as a slight to the OP? You're judging him because he wants to add a no weight option to a car that is meant as an everyday proposition? How about all those Speciale aperta drivers? Don't you think it detracts from the purism by having a car that is hundreds of pounds heavier then it's fixed roof equivalent that is meant as a track machine?
    Sent from my SM-G970W using FerrariChat.com mobile app

firsttimef1 and Jakuzzi like this.
  13. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    Waze works fine through the Bluetooth and has the advantage of police indication in the us

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Andynyc likes this.
  14. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Greetings:

1. Welcome to FerrariChat. :)
    2. It is customary to have a completed profile, so it is easier to understand and converse with our Ferrari brethren.
    3. In order to reply effectively and coherently to your post I must be clear; do you mean THAN instead of then?
    The words have complete different meanings, so it would be beneficial to clear that query first; in the spirit of clear, concise and joyful conversation. :)

Thanks!

angrybanker likes this.
  15. angrybanker

angrybanker Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Thanks for the welcome and the grammar note - I was typing hurriedly and appear to have misused 'it's' as well!

I aim to fill out a profile this week and hopefully I will be inducted by both the brethren and the ladies of the forum - I imagine there's a few of the latter floating about. To answer your question, I did indeed mean 'than'; apologies for impeding comprehension. As you've noted, my syntax occasionally leaves something to be desired but when you say the words have complete different meanings, do you mean 'completely'?

Cheers.

firsttimef1, mkraft3003 and Jakuzzi like this.
  16. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Touche my friend! ;)

But in all seriousness, my post was not meant as a slight to the OP. It was more of a comment on the priorities that people may have concerning their cars. :)

P.S. I like your moxie; WE WILL get along great here! :)

angrybanker likes this.
  17. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I optioned CarPlay on my 488 GTB and while the 4200 cost was steep, nothing comes cheap with a Ferrari. It was worth it. It's an option I would rather have than not have on any modern Ferrari for the fact that it simply integrates Apple/iOS into the car and bypass Ferrari's native system, and will update on its own via iPhone.

Oh and it comes free on Porsche 911s, including the GT cars (at least in the US)

ScottS likes this.
  18. angrybanker

angrybanker Rookie

Jun 27, 2019
    Thank you, sir. I certainly appreciate a little joshing in the spirit it was intended. If no slight was meant, then/than no slight is taken! I am myself wondering where my priorities lie lately. I am likely moving to the US (New York) to work and am strongly considering either a 458 or Scud. The latter is of course peerless and purist but the former just seems more...habitable. I would enjoy the sound system more while making the drive up to Toronto or CT to see my brother and would be worried that the Scud's lack of front lift wouldn't do so well on the roads. Guess we all get a little more practical as we age - 25 year old me would've taken the Scud without even thinking of it!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  19. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    #19 ScottS, Aug 11, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    Sam

It’s so interesting. The challenge I face with CarPlay is not just cost related but relevance related. I admit to being a guy with a diverse group of friends. There’s a minority group here which we often don’t discuss on the board. Android users ..... just sayin. Does Ferrari offer android play? It’s insensitive that I don’t even know that.

Nothing is cheap but not everything you pay for gives value. Sam like you remind me how long you kept the 488 with CarPlay? Did the rawer, less docile options you switched to have CarPlay and is that a dealbreaker ? Does the fact that other companies include the technology for free as a selling point shift how you decide. I would prefer a little more carbon for my budget.

The functionality of CarPlay even with generational updates is 5-7 years max. For that price point and for most of us here, there is a convenience value point. Ferrari is so good because it’s hard but not impossible to add later and most of us wouldn’t change the sacred factory specification and the price is just within what’s absurd to charge no matter your personal budget. And the versions of CarPlay available don’t support wireless CarPlay as I understand it, like other vehicles currently offer.

I have it on my Lusso but not sure I’ll need it in my GTS. And for 4K I would use need as opposed to desire as my personal threshold.

My question to the OP above was looking for another’s value proposition. Often others have hacks or uses that I have not found per se and with that perspective, the value to me is shifted. It’s like the lifter argument. Half the people with it say they never use it and it’s fine, the others with it say they always use it and they couldn’t live without it ( how do you know) but I consider it a must have for the brick paved roads in my town.

I guess seamless integration has different value to different drivers.

Angrybanker. Get the scud. ‘Nuff said.

20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I have no idea what you're saying. Are you trying to tell me how to option my cars :)

I use iOS only, couldn't care less about supporting Android, and I haven't owned a car longer than 3 years to date :p

21. Leon Redensky

Leon Redensky Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Full Name:
    Nototrader
    i just got a lusso. picked it over a few others because it had car play. use it all the time...even if only to watch out for cops on waze. paying 300-400k+ for a car, and then refusing to pay 4k for carplay to spite oneself seems silly. i think most people regret it later. and when you want to sell the car, it definitely gives you a leg up for dummies like me to buy them vs others.